Farmertec Kit for Learning and Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee_the_wyrm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, happy to finally register to the forum after months of lurking. Thanks to Tinman, Smitty, Ironhorse, and Buckin' I've developed a curious interest in chainsaws.

I do a bunch of firewood with a Shindaiwa 491 that I really like, but I don't want to change it much beyond the muffler mod - it runs well and I need it to be reliable. Plus, it seems like Echo parts are expensive to find up here... So I think I am at the point of purchasing a toy saw. I'd buy used but the saws around Terrace BC look beat to **** and are expensive so in the meantime, I think I'll build a Farmertec kit using some OEM parts from the get-go. I am aware that it might end up being more of a learning experience than I would like, but I am willing to face that truth once I get there. I would like to use it to learn about chainsaw mechanics, learn how to assemble a saw, and likely do some mild porting. The saw is for bigger firewood, to lend to friends, and maybe some occasional milling. I am thinking 372, 440, or 460 but am open to suggestions.

My question to you is which Farmertec kit will likely have the most available spare parts into the future? Keep in mind I am in Canada so anyone with experience sourcing parts here for those models (OEM or Farmertec) is encouraged to share their 0.02. So is everyone else, of course.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome!

I just built a FarmerTec big saw; very happy with the performance. Parts are easy to get by ordering from FarmerTec Web Site.

Future is guaranteed to no one though.

I do find that ebay seems to have everything over time, even parts that are thirty years old.

My 2 cents. You will learn as much rebuilding a non-China saw.

What it will take on your part is patience for the right one, at the right price, to come your way.

Over on the other site, there was recently a $350 Stihl 064 (delivered).

Roy

Welcome!

I just built a FarmerTec big saw; very happy with the performance. Parts are easy to get by ordering from FarmerTec Web Site.

Future is guaranteed to no one though.

I do find that ebay seems to have everything over time, even parts that are thirty years old.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear your saw is performing well!

I was referring to the future of aftermarket parts in general for the 440, 460, and 372, but you're right - can always order spares from Farmertec. Unfortunately, the parts selection on Canadian eBay is underwhelming and the US eBay is cost-prohibitive (~$35 dollars for an air filter + $65 shipping).

My 2 cents. You will learn as much rebuilding a non-China saw.

What it will take on your part is patience for the right one, at the right price, to come your way.

Over on the other site, there was recently a $350 Stihl 064 (delivered).

Roy
Thanks for the reply Roy.

I agree, I would learn as much building a non-China saw, it's just that they are hard to come by where I live and it is slim pickings online - from what I can see. I was recently offered a Farmertec 372 or 460 kit for $330 CAD from a shop in Canada. Most comparable saws for sale in my area are often over twice the price and look like they've been pulled from the ocean. But I do agree, my end goal is to eventually invest in the real thing, it'd just be nice to acquire some of the hands-on skills in the meantime.

Do you think long-term parts availability between these models will be similar? Thanks again!

I wouldn't worry about parts for any of the saws mentioned in this thread. It seems the knock-off saws can use OEM parts and visa-versa.

Keep that 064, I mentioned, in mind. It could have been yours!

You start talking pre-038 saws...and, I would worry more about parts. Or, long-gone manufacturers.

R.

I wouldn't worry about parts for any of the saws mentioned in this thread. It seems the knock-off saws can use OEM parts and visa-versa.

Keep that 064, I mentioned, in mind. It could have been yours!

You start talking pre-038 saws...and, I would worry more about parts. Or, long-gone manufacturers.

R.
Oh, I will keep it in mind.

Hopefully, I'll find the OE of whatever model clone saw I purchase. That way I'll have a parts saw to fix the FarmerTec ;-)

I am happy with both the FarmerTec 460 and 372 kits. With critical parts such as OEM rod bearing and a good aftermarket piston/cylinder kit, you can have a pretty good work saw. You can make your own crank puller or purchase one reasonably. Just make sure you know what the thread size you are pulling. Mattyo5 (Matt Olson) makes a great kit. If you cannot find him here, check the *********.

Jon

I am happy with both the FarmerTec 460 and 372 kits. With critical parts such as OEM rod bearing and a good aftermarket piston/cylinder kit, you can have a pretty good work saw. You can make your own crank puller or purchase one reasonably. Just make sure you know what the thread size you are pulling. Mattyo5 (Matt Olson) makes a great kit. If you cannot find him here, check the *********.

Jon
Appreciate the reply Jon. Glad to hear the kits are working for you. Do you recommend a p/c kit in particular? What has worked for you? I'll consider making a crank puller and check out Matt's site. Check the what? :p

Hi all, happy to finally register to the forum after months of lurking. Thanks to Tinman, Smitty, Ironhorse, and Buckin' I've developed a curious interest in chainsaws.

I do a bunch of firewood with a Shindaiwa 491 that I really like, but I don't want to change it much beyond the muffler mod - it runs well and I need it to be reliable. Plus, it seems like Echo parts are expensive to find up here... So I think I am at the point of purchasing a toy saw. I'd buy used but the saws around Terrace BC look beat to **** and are expensive so in the meantime, I think I'll build a Farmertec kit using some OEM parts from the get-go. I am aware that it might end up being more of a learning experience than I would like, but I am willing to face that truth once I get there. I would like to use it to learn about chainsaw mechanics, learn how to assemble a saw, and likely do some mild porting. The saw is for bigger firewood, to lend to friends, and maybe some occasional milling. I am thinking 372, 440, or 460 but am open to suggestions.

My question to you is which Farmertec kit will likely have the most available spare parts into the future? Keep in mind I am in Canada so anyone with experience sourcing parts here for those models (OEM or Farmertec) is encouraged to share their 0.02. So is everyone else, of course.

Thanks for reading!
DONT lend to friends!!!!!!

The 660 kits are very easy to put together and lots of videos on them . Also 044 and 046 kits I hear are good.

I've done a 372xp crankshaft bearing and p/c

For installing/removing bearings and crankshaft I just use heat seems to work really well .

A big lesson I've learned when doing bearings without a stop in the case is bolt the oil pump on . Otherwise you'll goto put the oil pump and clutch kit on and it won't fit... then ull be disassembling and starting all over again haha ( good times ) ...

It seemed to me that the 372 and the 660 we're the 2 saws with the biggest threads about tips and advice. They seem to be the biggest sellers from what I gather. I built a 660 with 10-12 oem parts, seals, bearings, pin, boot, clip etc. I thought it was a great project, and parts will be available when I need them.

You'd learn a lot more by getting a dead Stihl 026 and make it run again. Tons of parts and reference material are available for these.

372 kit is good.I used an OEM wristpin, intake boot,and a 7900 Dolmar carb (have to drill out (to larger hole) for choke lever). Decent but not great power, would probably use an OEM cylinder although I may try a popup.Have run the crap out of it for about 20 tanks.Got bored with it but will revisit.

I'm a Stihl guy but I've also built numerous clones (mostly 440 and 660, the 460s came out later) for myself and others.

For most cutting needs the 440 or 460 are great saws, but for serious milling I would go with a 660.

My advice on any of the kits: Always clean out the case and all bearings with some WD40 (or other oil) before putting them together. Most failures I know of are from grit that was shipped in the bearings.

I like to replace the piston pin bearing with OEM (it is cheap insurance) and also use either Meteor or OEM piston/rings. Always check the chamfer on the cylinder ports, as hanging a ring will end your day quickly. Also, always check to squish to determine if you should use the base gasket or not. I also always buy OEM Elastostart pull cords and lubricate the recoils with silicon (and check the function) before using them.

A little porting and a timing advance can make them run real well.

The Asian bearings and other parts are not as hard as OEM, so always run a good oil at a good ratio. I have had very good success with AMSOIL Saber at 40:1. It runs clean and lubricates great.

One of my Asian 660s, with a ported Cross P+C dynoed at 8.6 Hp. and I've built some big bore Asian 440 (or 440/460s) for friends that love them.

The 660 kits gave me the least problems, I had a lot of carb problems with the 440 kits, but I presume it is likely things have changed.

It is a learning experience, but there is a lot of information (on this site and others) to help you out.

Best of luck with it.

Latest posts

Back