Fast-Filer Chain Filing Guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try it with some of your files. I believe that they are hardened on the outside, but not all the way through.
Philbert

Nuh unh! No Sir. I think you're tryin t sucker my blind ### inta bustin a good file. (raspberry blowing smiley goes here)

IF I can think of where there's a about a 4~6" flat file, that i don't care about, I'll try it though.

I've already snapped a couple of round files, during carpel tunnel moments.
So I know they didn't want to bend!

New Trilink flat file is alright plus have a .025 depth gauge.You gotta remember that package come all the way from Australia to Minnesota then to Kentucky.Round file seems fine.

Attachments

• Fast Filer 1 001.JPG
    Fast Filer 1 001.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 41
  • Fast Filer 1 002.JPG
    Fast Filer 1 002.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Fast Filer 1 003.JPG
    Fast Filer 1 003.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 41
  • Fast Filer 1 004.JPG
    Fast Filer 1 004.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 35
Nuh unh! No Sir. I think you're tryin t sucker my blind ### inta bustin a good file. (raspberry blowing smiley goes here

I MEANT a used / worn out file.
Would not want you to , . . . er . . ., 'defile' a good one.

You gotta remember that package come all the way from Australia to Minnesota then to Kentucky.
Started in China. Maybe it is designed to help round over the depth gauges?

Philbert

I tried to see if it would bend a little,it would not,it snapped lol oh well,got 2 short files if I ever need them.

Attachments

• Flat file 001.JPG
    Flat file 001.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Flat file 002.JPG
    Flat file 002.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Flat file 005.JPG
    Flat file 005.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 21
Very nice tool for a noob / homeowner / DIy'er like me, with an old 16" Remoington Electric that has a totally rocked out ( from underground work cutting out many roots ) bumpered chain. I filed / Dremeled / Roto-tooled the material at the top of the bar guide slots flush with the surface that sits on the cutters and the tool works perfectly with tie strap bumpered Oregon 91VG chain. Took me an hour or two to figure out the tool, make the mod, and bring the chain back to "chip-rific" ship shape. I ripped through about 20 feet of arborvitaes ( 20 or 25 2 or 3" sticks ) at the back of my deck in about 20 or 30 minutes, touched up the chain in about 5 or 6 minutes using the Fast Filer and put everything away until next time.... Thanks to SawTroll for his input, as it led me to not worry so much about making the transition form Oregon's 30 deg top angle to the 35 deg's of the Archer jig. As I touch up the chain in the future, I'll eventually get it to the Archer / Fast Filer angle. Thanks to Philbert for all your input, I definitely feel like I've gone through chainsaw chain sharpening 101 thanks to you. And thanks to everyone else for their input, tips and tricks....

PS

As far as roller wear goes,
I know I do not have that much time on the tool,
but all I see so far are file tracks and can not measure
any appreciable difference in diameter with the calipers.

The vertical rollers should be reversible top to bottom,
and last twice as long that way. Looks like 3/8" round
stock would be close enough to make replacement
rollers.

If the horizontal rollers wear, it looks like 9/16" and 3/8"
round stock of some plastic or another would work well
enough cut to the proper length to make those rollers
out of 2 pieces of different diameter the round stock.

Of course if a lathe is available, I could always go for more
accuracy and make the rollers out of 5/8 or 3/4 or whatever,
possibly even using some soft steel or other soft metal .

But for how much I use a chainsaw, this tool should last
me a lifetime...

cheers to all,

I have never used the rollers enough for it to make any difference,. Even though the one I used the most (a .325 NK one, used about from 2003 to 2007) looks a bit rough, I never noticed any difference in function - and it was the same with the blue bodied modified 3/8" one I used for 36RSC back then. After that I mostly just have used the raker plates of them. so can't comment on the rollers.

Sooner or later the rollers will wear out of course, there is no "magic" going on - but the ones I used actively held up much better than their looks indicated.

(Bump)

Anybody tried / used these that can share their comments / thoughts / experiences?

For what it is worth, here are a few photos comparing the Fast-Filer guides with the associated Husqvarna / Swedish roller guides.
(Which do you think are easier to lose in the deep carpet . . . )
IMG_5944.jpg IMG_5945.jpg

Philbert

(Bump)

Anybody tried / used these that can share their comments / thoughts / experiences?

Philbert

I've got and used the blue one a few times. What I'm doing is free hand filing and then using the guide every three or 4 sharpenings to bring tooth length and angle back to consistent.

Back