Fear of tie-in failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rxchua

Reaction score
First post here. I have been an industrial rope access technician for more than 7 years and have been doing tree works for the past 4 - 5 years pruning trees for charity organisations for fun and experience. I climb on a combination of MRS & SRS depending on the tree types.

So far i have taken 2 falls, once when a lower branch failed on me while another was when taking out a top on a spar climb and my groundsman didnt let the rigging rope run and the root lifted off the ground and the entire stem fail, thankfully i was on the other side of the spar so i wasnt crushed. I tink i fractured a few ribs and jaw but all seems well now.

Ever since, i always have a doubt whether the branch or trunk is safe especially when its a windy day and the canopy starts swaying with me at the top. Or whenever the higher i climb, the more the stem or trunk starts bending.

When should i be concerned that they will fail ? Im amazed whenever im pulling trees over with a 4:1 setup n they refuse to fall even after bending so much but its a different story when im in the canopy, it freaks me out when i feel a slight bend or sway or sound of branches rubbing or cracking. Any experienced mentors could advise me whether am i worrying too much ?

First post here. I have been an industrial rope access technician for more than 7 years and have been doing tree works for the past 4 - 5 years pruning trees for charity organisations for fun and experience. I climb on a combination of MRS & SRS depending on the tree types.

So far i have taken 2 falls, once when a lower branch failed on me while another was when taking out a top on a spar climb and my groundsman didnt let the rigging rope run and the root lifted off the ground and the entire stem fail, thankfully i was on the other side of the spar so i wasnt crushed. I tink i fractured a few ribs and jaw but all seems well now.

Ever since, i always have a doubt whether the branch or trunk is safe especially when its a windy day and the canopy starts swaying with me at the top. Or whenever the higher i climb, the more the stem or trunk starts bending.

When should i be concerned that they will fail ? Im amazed whenever im pulling trees over with a 4:1 setup n they refuse to fall even after bending so much but its a different story when im in the canopy, it freaks me out when i feel a slight bend or sway or sound of branches rubbing or cracking. Any experienced mentors could advise me whether am i worrying too much ?
It takes decades of experience to know .

A healthy fear is not a bad thing. Without it we wouldn't be using lanyards and other PPE's. When climbing make sure to check the health of the tree and any potential hazards or weaknesses and avoid them or eliminate them. Know your limits and comfort level (they will expand with experience and knowledge). As for the rubbing and rustling of branches and leaves, when it gets to uncomfortable for you, come on down. There's always another day. You may get more used to it in time. Best wishes and be safe.

Well said above and just a little add on.
If your ground men don't have experience on ropes you need to explain to them what to do on every piece. You need to see how many wraps they have or if they are even using the lowering device properly. No need to yell, just calmly explain what you want done w/ the rope. Some people just can't get the hang of it so try a different guy on the ground and see if he can run a rope properly. I have a family member who is not the tough strong type but he can run a rope better than many.

Well said above and just a little add on.
If your ground men don't have experience on ropes you need to explain to them what to do on every piece. You need to see how many wraps they have or if they are even using the lowering device properly. No need to yell, just calmly explain what you want done w/ the rope. Some people just can't get the hang of it so try a different guy on the ground and see if he can run a rope properly. I have a family member who is not the tough strong type but he can run a rope better than many.
A rope "finesse r" isn't easy to find ;-)

The fear of tie-in failure can be paralyzing, but it's important to remember that taking risks and trying new things is the only way to grow and succeed. Embrace the possibility of failure as a valuable learning experience on the path to achieving your goals.
I just saw this, that may be the dumbest advice I've ever seen

I am an amateur at tree climbing, but I'm not new to rope work. I have full confidence in my ability to tie knots and rig a system because I've done so for years, and because I know I can screw it up I earnestly double-check everything.

The variable is the tree, and I don't know trees very well at all. I find them to be unpredictable. The best way I can think of to manage the unpredictability of the anchor point is to have a couple of them that are truly independent of each other. I use a secondary tie-off when I reach my working location, and when possible during the ascent/descent. I believe that such an approach is mandated by ANSI, which makes it an OSHA requirement here in the states, more or less, but more importantly it helps.

Back