Feeling a bit sketchy when using the bucket truck.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm sure the 550 is pretty stable when the stabilizers are firmly implanted. But I still started getting a sketchy vibe as the reach got closer to the apparent maximum. Then I whipped out the chainsaw and started cutting limbs. Well that didn't help the sketchy vibe a great deal. Thinking my high center of gravity (lean 6'4") likely does not help. I could almost see being lifted out of the bucket by the leverage of a large falling limb. I have safety harnesses and that helps but I still get that sketchy vibe.

Using a bucket truck certainly helps a tree service business a lot. But judging by accident statistics it doesn't appear to be "easy money". I suspect there are some who kind of refuse to use a bucket truck. Of course there is little "safe" about making large trees disappear.

It always takes awhile to get use to the play and sway. I bought oversized pads and that helped another. But feeling a little sketchy will keep you safe. Overconfidence will get you killed. I love my bucket truck getting older can't climb no more like I used to but I still like working on trees.

Definitely use pads if on softer ground. You don't want them sinking in. You can buy them or 4 layers of 3/4" plywood works well. Remember the boom is is a lever, the farther you get away from center the bouncier and easier to tip it will be. Just for piece of mind stick it out maximum straight sideways and bounce. This will be your worst case position, actually the more straight up the safer you are except for dropping stuff on the truck. Definitely takes some getting used to. I spent a lot of time in lifts and around cranes and the basics are pretty much the same. Good luck and stay safe.

I used a mighty sizzor lift when building machines talk about swaying. Then I’m up there with a ww2 paratrooper and he’s making it sway. I told him he made it through ww2 and I’d snatch the life out of him before we hit the ground.

Not in tree work, but I have been up on 45ft Z lifts, and 60ft straight lifts.
numerous smaller man lifts, all doing lighting work.

You have GOT to trust the equipment. and yes, you have to get your "sea legs" for the wobble.
I have a old 30ft man lift... it wobbles a bit past 20ft... but even without the out riggers on it (not always possible in certain situations) I have maxed it out...

It is harder outside because there is a lot more room and that plays with your sense of security.

A 60ft manlift and painting a drive in theater screen was a blast one time... My task was to get the guy painting in a consistent location, and a pattern so that we could get this done... it worked ok... But a LOT of moving the cage back and forth, up and down.

Back