Felling advice - split & hung up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbxlr8

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all - I need some advice and have learned so much from you all over the years increasing my skills in bringing down trees safely and effectively. I have done many against the lean, on target around difficult obstacles, OR majorly hung, and am comfortable with almost anything but climbing! :p I do spend time thinking it through and am fortunate that I don't have to do stuff in a hurry.

A recent wind storm split this cherry and it got caught in another really nice one. I don't like the look of the stresses in it (obviously). IMO - my best alternative is to throw a long line to the Y split and pull it 180' to the good tree with either with my Maasdam puller or very likely my tractor and it should come down. I could chain/strap it together, but it is sure to kick out so I don't think cutting or sectioning it down is an option as it sits.

I would like your thoughts...Thanks!
IMG_3334.jpgIMG_3335.jpgIMG_3336.jpgIMG_3337.jpgIMG_3338.jpgIMG_3339.jpg

I'll be interested to see what others recommend for that situation as well. That looks like a lot of unpredictable energy looking for an excuse.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that stump when it goes. I'd be tempted to leave it be unless I had some big equipment and chains to try to get something going from a distance. Baring heavy equipment yet having a burning desire to see it down without taking out the tree it's hung up in I might try getting a bull rope high in the tree and use a block and tackle to attempt to pull it back the opposite direction or down slope (again, from a safe distance) because almost anything could happen.

Thanks all - Might be "fun" with the explosives... I didn't think there was any way to safely release that tension but wanted other experienced eyes on it JIC.

I do have several lines and have rigged via throw lines pretty high in the past (have downcycled them but have 200' on my good newer rope). The Maasdam puller does a decent job. But I am fortunate to also have a few levels of pulling power ranging from small compact tractor to mid-size TLB that I got a year ago. I also regularly use my TJ jeep and once had to use my good 6K+ lb GMC truck during an "oh-sh!#' moment near the neighbor's property line when a 36" poplar sat back against the lean and pinned my saw.

So, there is enough pulling power but the area directly 180' is not clear. I will prob. have to pull it back up a bit given the tangent that I have open. My concern is that there is a pretty solid branch intertwined with the good cherry (you can see it in the closer one up top)

Edit - Finishing the split or barber chair by pulling may do the trick also. It certainly would be exciting (from a distance!!)

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that stump when it goes. I'd be tempted to leave it be unless I had some big equipment and chains to try to get something going from a distance.

It's been like that since about November. I was hoping winter storms and wind would do the job. No luck up to 50mph yet :(

Do you have a clear area to drop it in any direction? If so, put 2 lines up in the fork. Use one to straighten up the tree and the other to bias in the direction you want to go. Have a spotter and cut slowly. When she starts to move, get the f*** out of there! :surprised3:

I don't really want to try to describe in writing how I'd do it. I'll just say it's doable without heavy equipment. That being said, given that you felt the need to ask, I think getting a line up high and pulling it with a machine is your best bet. Don't pull it directly opposite the lean though. Not really a good way to release it if you do that. It's likely to just go right back where it was. If you can pull it 90° to the lean it'll be more likely to come down, and if it doesn't, you'll not be any worse off than you are now.

just fell the tree its leaning on and get the hell out of there asap
One of my first thoughts also and have done this several times in the past, but it is a damn nice cherry adjacent to a site we use for camping. Non-starter as I really want to keep it.

Thanks again all.

Back