Felling for Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I might operate differently from most of you. I am lucky to live in the middle of the woods, and unlucky to have hundred year old Oaks dying every year. So, I typically let them stand for a couple years till the bark loosens, then cut them down and process them for firewood. I've posted a couple video and pictures of me cutting down a tree, but I am never quite sure where to post them? Scrounging? Hauling? Processing? Not really good matches. So, I started this thread. If I am the only one doing this, or interested in this, it will just fade it's way down the list and off the first page. On the other hand, if others are cutting down trees in the process of making firewood, I'd love to see your work.

First post:

This 24-26" leaner was generally leaning in the right direction, so I only needed a couple degrees of adjust to keep it from seriously damaging a tree in it's path. It's the dead one in the middle of this picture:
IMG_0525.jpg

I didn't change the bar, so I cut from both sides with my Dolmar PS 6100 and 20" bar.
At the end you can see a little swaying of my "to-be saved" tree.

(about 2½ minutes)

I was hoping the snow would make the drag easy, it didn't - my log arch isn't big enough for the bottom section, and my tractor wasn't getting enough traction to move the second section. So, I bucked the first two sections where they dropped:

(<2 minutes)

I am never quite sure where to post them? Scrounging? Hauling? Processing? Not really good matches.
I enjoy seeing your low impact methods, regardless where you post it. I generally default to the scrounging thread, even if it's from my own property. Sometimes there are even 2 consecutive posts related to firewood there! LOL

The stuff I'm working on now was all felled I suppose since it came from a tree service. But it doesn't quite fit here either.

I might operate differently from most of you. I am lucky to live in the middle of the woods, and unlucky to have hundred year old Oaks dying every year. So, I typically let them stand for a couple years till the bark loosens, then cut them down and process them for firewood. I've posted a couple video and pictures of me cutting down a tree, but I am never quite sure where to post them? Scrounging? Hauling? Processing? Not really good matches. So, I started this thread. If I am the only one doing this, or interested in this, it will just fade it's way down the list and off the first page. On the other hand, if others are cutting down trees in the process of making firewood, I'd love to see your work.

First post:

This 24-26" leaner was generally leaning in the right direction, so I only needed a couple degrees of adjust to keep it from seriously damaging a tree in it's path. It's the dead one in the middle of this picture:
View attachment 954891

I didn't change the bar, so I cut from both sides with my Dolmar PS 6100 and 20" bar.

(about 2½ minutes)

I was hoping the snow would make the drag easy, it didn't - my log arch isn't big enough for the bottom section, and my tractor wasn't getting enough traction to move the second section. So, I bucked the first two sections where they dropped:

(<2 minutes)

I'll tell you what felling aside I'm not going to second guess the role my garden tractor could play in firewood operations. That JD pulled a log just as good as an ATV. Might have to get my craftsman involved now.

Man, nice log. Any sawmills in your area? You ever turn any of those logs into lumber?
There are mills in the area. Last year I took about 4 or 5 Chestnut Oak logs and an equal number of Red Oak logs to a local mill. But trees came down in heavy winds, so they were green trees. This one:
IMG_8099.jpg

I have two problems. I don't own a trailer big enough to move logs, and I don't own enough indoor space to store it while it dries. I have a friend who kindly exchanged loading. hauling and storing services for half the wood:
IMG_8094.jpg

And now we wait:

IMG_8340.jpg

I'll tell you what felling aside I'm not going to second guess the role my garden tractor could play in firewood operations. That JD pulled a log just as good as an ATV. Might have to get my craftsman involved now.

I have been really impressed with my 4wd Deere x728 in ability to pull with my log arch. But yesterday with the snow, and the lay of the land, I just couldn't get a pull started. But, it is a great machine for snaking among the trees and not making a rutted road:

IMG_0484.jpg

This Deere GT weighs more than my ATV plus the rear tires are loaded, applies power to the wheels smoother by virtue of the hydro vs CVT transmission, and with grapple or blade on the tractor can move things out of the way better.
Thanks for watching and commenting.

Horses trained to skid logs start the pull at an angle to the log rather than a straight dead pull. You could try it and see if it makes a difference. You could also fab up some skis to replace the wheels on the arch for winter.
A LogRite arch would lift the log off the ground and have larger diameter tires than your present arch which may also help.

Jere39,

I always enjoy your posts. I fall trees from time to time for our local firewood ministry. I don't have any videos. I have lots of stump pictures many of which have been posted over the years in the MAC sticky thread as I run a few old MACs. I'll post some here to help get your thread started.

White oak
IMG_3847.JPG
Red oak
IMG_3848.JPG
Ash
IMG_4058.JPGIMG_4061.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG

Ron

First post:

View attachment 954891

(about 2½ minutes)

(<2 minutes)

Hey brother thanks for starting this thread. I am begging most my wood from the elderly these days by doing clean up on their property for little or no money. Paying it forward and getting some saw time in. Win-win.

We have several acres of woods that are so thick with oak and hickory trees, saplings, and yaupon that the closet I could get a tractor is the perimeter easement. I never cut a healthy tree but dead, lightning struck, and wind fall are fair game and the proceeds feed our Vigilant II stove to keep the house warm in the winter.
But, man! I’m getting too old to haul bucks out from the middle of the woods to the outer trail! I just cut about 1000 feet of new trails that meander through the woods. I might be able to haul my splitter back there with a garden tractor, split the wood on the spot, then bring the splits back to the stacks by dragging a small trailer. Sure is a lot of extra steps!
It’s much easier when I can get close with my old Ford tractor. 71E8127E-27D4-4A3D-BCB0-1D1EC8C1A81B.jpeg71E8127E-27D4-4A3D-BCB0-1D1EC8C1A81B.jpegFF82006B-4E9E-4A27-8CB4-CD41668A2AA3.jpeg

We have several acres of woods that are so thick with oak and hickory trees, saplings, and yaupon that the closet I could get a tractor is the perimeter easement. I never cut a healthy tree but dead, lightning struck, and wind fall are fair game and the proceeds feed our Vigilant II stove to keep the house warm in the winter.
But, man! I’m getting too old to haul bucks out from the middle of the woods to the outer trail! I just cut about 1000 feet of new trails that meander through the woods. I might be able to haul my splitter back there with a garden tractor, split the wood on the spot, then bring the splits back to the stacks by dragging a small trailer. Sure is a lot of extra steps!
It’s much easier when I can get close with my old Ford tractor. View attachment 955070
I like your boom. Is that home made or you buy it some where?

I'll throw in here. Got about 7 out of a dozen diseased ash cut and in the wood shed this fall/early winter. Mostly edge of the pasture trees. None were huge but several were heavy leaners. Did my first plunge and out the back cuts.
20211025_160830.jpg
All has gone well so far. Full disclosure one I was trying to wedge against the lean went down at 90 degrees to the plan. I had an exit path, a bent fence post and a few insulators the only casualties.
I also have more "free ash" than I can get to for the cutting, both standing and dropped with easy access.
KIMG0164.JPG
Doing some with friend who no longer can get all his firewood done on his own.
I buck and split where they fall before loading for the trip to the wood racks. Mower and trailer here at the farmette, into the van when out n about.
Don't know what you guys are seeing but looking around at the woods this winter is rather sad, so many species have been decimated by the various diseases, the woods are full of dead and looking pretty haggard, thin.

First post:

View attachment 954891

(about 2½ minutes)

(<2 minutes)

I have a similar problem with older oaks dying off from Hpoxylon Canker, now called Biscogniauxia Canker. Most of them end up on the burn pile.
https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/biscogniauxia-canker-and-dieback-of-trees.html

You pull a trailer with a Zero Turn? I didn't think the transmissions were made for hauling.
It's a Woods mower. They build em tough. A lot of my mowing is harder on it than a little trailer pulling. My last Woods was 30 years old I sold it on, still mowing good.
I pull that trailer all over the country with my Prius too. ;)
20210911_121842.jpg
The funny thing is I get nearly the same mileage pulling a motorcycle on the trailer as I do riding the motorcycle! I buy n sell a fair # of bikes. It's my hobby, so I'm often driving out to haul em home.

Back