Few questions about USA, chainsaws and standards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be very interested in your comparison website. Please include noise measurements and fuel usage per unit of time. I was interested in how the Husqvarna 550 made more power than the Echo 501p. I had to go to many different company websites to learn that the 550 was almost 50% louder (5 decibel difference) than the 501 and used more fuel per hour. Helped me to decide on muffler modding my 501. If the 550 can be louder and use more fuel, than why can't my 501 haha. Cheers!

Bar lengths and pitch/gauge type would be hard to compare as they can vary from country and even year manufactured
stihl in USA use a lot of .063 gauge, Canada uses .050
The husky 36/41 saws went through 3 different bar and chain pitch/gauge changes through its life span .325 .058, .325 .050, & 3/8LP .050

It would be almost impossible to find all variations. I will stay with what is mentioned in the user manual. Trouble is I noticed, some chainsaws have the same model name for the European and USA markets but different specs.

Anyway I went ahead with coding after getting motivation by asking questions here and now my mobile view and basic rate the chainsaw function work nicely.
Unfortunately, I can't prevent misuse of rating except by limiting one vote per IP, however I will think about that one if needs arrive, I doubt site will be ever enough popular to worry about that.

Here is how the comparison currently looks... Few more things related to images and manual labor of adding chainsaws will begin :).
gFBcRVt.jpg

When I was a kid, dad would get a pickup load of wood out of a tank of gas in an old Polan 47. Latter on we would get a load of wood out of a tank of gas in a Stihl 028. the old 47 had a much bigger tank than the 028

So I was away due to holidays (new year and orthodox Christmas being on 7th January) and finally managed to insert some work into this project.

I added most of the suggestions. Moved the site to a domain so I have something visible:

https://www.chainsawspecs.com/ .

However, I now see this theme
https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...-all-gas-small-engine-equipment-sales.364945/and I can't believe they will ban all gas small engine equipment.

Should I focus on electric chainsaws? My friend bought a Chinese battery-operated chainsaw and that thing neither cuts well, nor cuts for long.

I wonder how things are going to go with battery saws. There seem to be some decent ones on the market now, but they are obviously still limited in their use. I have an ok one, not excellent (top models by Husqvarna, Stihl are really expensive) but I like it for light work, diameters up to 15-20cm let's say.
Personally, I don't think 2-stroke saws are going away any time soon, but you never know what kind of crazy legislation the EU comes up with...

Nice initiative, btw. I wonder if manufacturer supplied specs can be compared 1:1 though. I'm not sure, for example, if all decibel measurements are done the same.

Yes some values can't be compared 1:1 but I don't think there is a better way of doing it. I trust Stihl and Husqvarna rating,s especially products intended for the EU and USA markets, but some random Aliexpress chainsaw probably has all of those fake.

Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't trust those Chinese companies' specifications :) Sometimes even the mentioned cylinder volume is wrong, and not just a little bit...

Back