file jig pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkerized

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is huskys file jig they market. Works real well, would recommend it to any weekend warriors.

John W

I like that raker gage it looks a lot more practical than the one i ordered from Baileys
do Husky dealers sell these?

Thanks,
David

Your local dealer should have them. Its in our North American Catalogue. By its self its only like 5 bucks US
Pics are from the early sixties on the west of Vancouver Island

John W

G'day John,

Thats an amazing picture of the Fir! Do you know where and when the photo was taken? I take it by 1/4 missing, you are talking about the top section including the crown etc?
Cheers,
Charlie.

sorry the westcoast cedar was from a couple of years ago.
sent wrong pic. Here is the right pic
28 feet across

John W

The fir was from northern Vancouver Island a town called Zabellos.
Zeballos its not the end of the world but you can see it from there

Yes you are probabably missing 2 more sections

John W

ive never even seen anything close to that size.one things for sure i would let somebody else cut it. my 28 saw that thing
i believe id have to whupit to keep it from jumping back in the truck. id probably lose.oh well learn something new every day. later now

Last edited:
Thanks John, you made the tree I posted look like a sapling lol.
Looks like they chewed the big cedar down with beavers on crack.
Very impressive tree all the same.
We just don't get them that big here in the city(Peninsula).
If we did there would be at least 50 people hugging it full time, guy couldn't get close enough to cut er down, besides the pot smoke would be so thick you could not see the lay.

Well Keener I have abour 6 4 foot cedars in my back yard, would love to mill them up but there in a water coarse and the city and huggers wouldnt apreciate my new cedar deck LOL

John W

I live in the "firewood East" so you'll have to pardon my inexperience, but how does one cut down such a huge tree? How long does it take?

The faller use a 40" bar and on the large 28' he will acually climb right inside the tree and all you will see is his boots sticking out.
I would sat it may of taken most of the day to fall that baby

John W

Howdy John,

Would you do me a favor, and file the depthgauge on a 3/8 chisel cutter that has been filed back to end of life, using that 'Swede' fileguide "file-o-plate" device, and let me know what the depthgauge setting actually measures?

You can measure by setting up with Oregon gaugits or the filemate style tools, until you find the one where the depthgauge is just flush with the guide surface. I would expect the result to be .035 to .040. Could be even lower!

This device has been around for a long time in Sweden, and various depthgauge setting design ends have been tried. This one is a new one to me, and looks like the results might be rather on the hungry side for safety.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Hi Walt tried the jig on some worn out 73 JG. the customers chain was at the end and the rakers had never been touched. I took them down on the soft setting on the jig and put a flat file across the teeth and used a feeler guage to measure and came up with the following.
Soft .050
Hard .35

John W

Latest posts

Back