file size info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papi3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello, I will appreciate someone giving me information on file size. I have a chain that calls for a 5/32 inch file. I have plenty of 3/16 inch files for similar chains as far as pitch and number of links and gauge. Is there a problem using the 3/16 inch files on the chain that calls for the 5/32 file? Thank you for any informantion.

Take a couple test passes and see if it cuts into the chain strap. You might be ok.
on that note, it ties into one of my previous posts. I have a few chains that have been sharpened a lot and because of inexperience, I filed into the straps. I was asking if I should toss the chains and start with a fresh chain now that I know a better technique to file. I'm not sure if it is unsafe to have straps that are filed into? This is actually the first time I am using the term strap. I could use all the advice I can get.

hello, I will appreciate someone giving me information on file size. I have a chain that calls for a 5/32 inch file. I have plenty of 3/16 inch files for similar chains as far as pitch and number of links and gauge. Is there a problem using the 3/16 inch files on the chain that calls for the 5/32 file? Thank you for any informantion.
I would buy the right file.

File sizes for saw chains vary by 1/64” (or .4mm, usually rounded off to .5mm) diameter. This makes more sense if you convert them all to x/64. E.g. 5/32” = 10/64”; 4.5mm = 11/64”; 3/16” = 12/64”; etc.

Manufacturers recommend a specific file size for each chain, based on expected use and performance. You can choose any file size you want, just understand that performance can change, especially, by changing the bevel angle of the cutters’ top plate.

You can try using the files you have, and see how that chain cuts. But it would be best to have one chain filed with the correct file, and an identical chain file with the other diameter file, to compare them side by side.

Philbert

My take on file size is ,,, :
Some "geek" with a "pocket protector" sitting at a desk specified the file size. PERIOD!

If you do not damage the chain, and you end up with a properly sharpened chain, you have the right file.

Heck, from reading all the file discussions,
it is apparent that the use of the "correct file" is just as likely to destroy a chain,, as the use of the wrong file!

You need to think about being able to closely look at a chain tooth as you are filing and right after you have filed ONE and SEE if it's sharpened correctly. Once you KNOW what it should look like you can just glance at the tooth and know.
This is a handy little gauge for checking chains to get an idea of which files you SHOULD use.
OREGON Chainsaw (Chain Saw) Bar & Chain Pitch, Gauge, File Measuring Tool 556418

You have to keep a heads up on the 3/8 pitch chains. (not interchangeable and usually require different size files)
The lo-pro sometimes call LP (picco) and standard 3/8 chain are the same pitch but they are not interchangeable without the corresponding drive sprocket and bar. Look at the difference in driver depth. If you ran standard chain on a picco bar the drivers would ride in the bottom of the groove forcing the straps off the rail which robs the chain support.

My take on file size is ,,, :
Some "geek" with a "pocket protector" sitting at a desk specified the file size. PERIOD!

If you do not damage the chain, and you end up with a properly sharpened chain, you have the right file.

Heck, from reading all the file discussions,
it is apparent that the use of the "correct file" is just as likely to destroy a chain,, as the use of the wrong file!
I have to be honest, the main reason why I ask about files is that I would end up getting the darn sizes mixed up and then I would be constantly changing the curve each time I file a chain. I have been cutting wood for heat for over 40 years now with the same type of chain with the same 3/16 inch files. All of a sudden, I purchased some new chain of the same size, and surprise, a new file size came into the picture! I guess, I'm old and set in my ways. lol

File Measuring Tool 556418
Anyone that owns a chainsaw,, has friends that own chainsaws,,
That Oregon 556418 file guide makes a GREAT GIFT for the odd birthday.

Rather than buying one, get five,, for just a little more than two,, and you have a stack of GREAT GIFTS!! :happybanana:

You can find them for about $2 each if you buy more than 2 or 3,,

When this thread popped up in my email this morning,,,
I thought we were getting hollered at for posting pics with too large of a "file size"

Then I realized there is more than one "File Size Info" !! LOL!!

What is the pitch on the new chain? Better yet, take a pic of the box. Are your other chains .325 pitch?

I have to be honest, the main reason why I ask about files is that I would end up getting the darn sizes mixed up and then I would be constantly changing the curve each time I file a chain. I have been cutting wood for heat for over 40 years now with the same type of chain with the same 3/16 inch files. All of a sudden, I purchased some new chain of the same size, and surprise, a new file size came into the picture! I guess, I'm old and set in my ways. lol

I have some saws that are same make/model but different size chains and I use a permanent marks a lot pen labeled on the side of the saw so as I do not grab the wrong file when I need a fast touch up at the wood pile.
I also keep my quick go to files labeled as to size and sometimes actually have to grab my old cheapo HF digital caliper and make sure of a size due to the hard to read size stamped on a file.

What is the pitch on the new chain? Better yet, take a pic of the box. Are your other chains .325 pitch?
.325 pitch, 063 gauge on both chains.same tooth profile. the only difference is Stihl from Oregon. I just started using the Oregon chain, and I have about 1/2 dozen of each in the need to sharpen pile.
I have been reading old threads along with this new information. I do appreciate all the advice from everyone. Funny thing there is a guy on Youtube that is using a square file on his chains. He is quite a character. It seems like he loves sharpening chains and cutting wood. For me, it's completely a necessity. I have not had a furnace in over 30 years in NYS. it's good to get all the possible angles on this, just so I understand better. Thanks.

.325 pitch, 063 gauge on both chains.same tooth profile. the only difference is Stihl from Oregon. I just started using the Oregon chain, and I have about 1/2 dozen of each in the need to sharpen pile.
I have been reading old threads along with this new information. I do appreciate all the advice from everyone. Funny thing there is a guy on Youtube that is using a square file on his chains. He is quite a character. It seems like he loves sharpening chains and cutting wood. For me, it's completely a necessity. I have not had a furnace in over 30 years in NYS. it's good to get all the possible angles on this, just so I understand better. Thanks.
Square filed chains cut faster but don't stay sharp as long or handle dirty wood as well.

Buckin’ Billy Ray, likely. He is a character…One of a kind. My 3/8 LP chains call for 5/32 file size. Never tried 3/16 on them. My .325 all say 3/16, like what you mostly had. Here’s a chart from Oregon, there are others out there, that specify file size, angles, etc.

Attachments

• 2020-FilingGrindingAngles.pdf
    396.5 KB · Views: 5
I buy dozens of 7/32'' which I use for every thing. One can use a too big of a file but not too small. A 1/4'' file will sharpen any thing but not pretty. The pressure and gullet must be centered just below the cutting edge leaving the rest of the cutter untouched. It is easier to find the correct size the cleans out the gullet from the leading cutting edge to the connecting link. Thanks

Latest posts

Back