file size info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The size of a file, stamped on its end, can be hard to read, especially for older folks. The Oregon gauge mentioned is one way to tell files apart (Stihl and Granberg have similar gauges); they are very handy for sorting chains by pitch and gauge.

Chain Gauge Measuring Tools.png

You can also use a micrometer, drill gauge, etc. I keep new files in their marked boxes, which also protects their brittle edges. In use, I have a separate, marked handle for each size which makes identification easy (use a plastic soda straw to protect the file between uses).

If you use a size-specific file guide, that keeps the files sorted too (wrap with a rag to protect the file in a tool box).

Files are a consumable item, but also a cutting tool. It makes sense to protect their hard, cutting edges from damage, banging around on workbenches, in toolboxes, in trucks, etc.

Philbert

Attachments

• STIHL 0000 893 4105 (2).png
    STIHL 0000 893 4105 (2).png
    469.8 KB · Views: 0
What about square filing and their sizes. I still have an assortment of flat style files but rarely ever use them. I think most will agree that they are are the fastest cutting type chain there is. They are a challenge to sharpen just right but the file can have many variables. They are the most sensitive chain there is. If they hit one knot they are done. I would say they are in a class of there own. I also hear that many just love the way they cut. I find them to be just plain impractical for the woods that I cut which are for most part very dry. Thanks

Back