File Sizes for Sharpening Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree that it makes more sense. There is nothing wrong with the system we have and what doesn't make sense is trying to change it, as well as trying to live in a world that has both. Vehicles that have both metric and standard nuts and bolts!?! AAGGHH!!

You are correct. Metric is easier and make more sense. But here in the USA there has been resistance to change to metric.
Southern Ontario too for the most part at least my area you ask someone the temp and it’s generally in fahrenheit not celsius and you ask anyone their height in Canada I can bet they say it in feet and inches and not centimetres. Only part of the metric system I am forced to use is kilometres per hour while driving.

Buckin was not to bad when he first started, now he just pumps out videos just to be putting something out and to listen to himself talking.
There’s a lot of info in his videos though and most of what he does is just his persona you can tell he’s not 100% the way he is in day to day life just in front of the camera.

So NASA uses feet and inches and fractions thereof when they build spacecraft and put people on the moon?

It's mostly a joke. They did back in the 60's when Neal Armstrong walked on the moon. I don't know what they do now.

I do this on .325 that gets rocked and needs to be reprofiled.

You can either reprofile using the rec'd file, which will take many many strokes, or you can step up 1/64" and have to file significantly less. You will lose a small bit of metal/life, but is often worth the trade off. Don't forget the depths!
Me too.

Southern Ontario too for the most part at least my area you ask someone the temp and it’s generally in fahrenheit not celsius and you ask anyone their height in Canada I can bet they say it in feet and inches and not centimetres. Only part of the metric system I am forced to use is kilometres per hour while driving.
I tend to use both, kph, persons height in feet, measure a box for shipping in inches then have to convert it to cm etc etc

Here in Norway as rest of Europa is the metric system,but chainsawbars is always mesured in inches. 12 for the 201, 14 or 15 for the 261 and 18 for a 572, we use shorther bars. Lumber is also in inches, everybody says 2 by 4 not 48 x 98 mm.

So NASA uses feet and inches and fractions thereof when they build spacecraft and put people on the moon?

Yes and No. NASA used the metric system in their computer guidance, and converted into Imperial units for the benefit of the Astronauts.

"All drawings, calculations and reports were done and written using U.S. Customary units, including measurements, material properties and temperatures."

"Even internationally, aviation is done in units of feet and nautical miles. While Airbus certainly doesn't design their planes to English units, air traffic is controlled to flight levels defined in feet and speeds defined in knots. US spaceflight was an offshoot of the aviation industry, so many of the preferences and practices used in aviation carried over into the space program."

All across the world, socket sets use 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", etc drive on the rachet and other drivers. This is because it was a US Invention, we held the patents, and by the time that ran out, everybody was using it.

I don't doubt that something like that happened with chainsaws.

Yes and No. NASA used the metric system in their computer guidance, and converted into Imperial units for the benefit of the Astronauts.

"All drawings, calculations and reports were done and written using U.S. Customary units, including measurements, material properties and temperatures."

"Even internationally, aviation is done in units of feet and nautical miles. While Airbus certainly doesn't design their planes to English units, air traffic is controlled to flight levels defined in feet and speeds defined in knots. US spaceflight was an offshoot of the aviation industry, so many of the preferences and practices used in aviation carried over into the space program."

All across the world, socket sets use 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", etc drive on the rachet and other drivers. This is because it was a US Invention, we held the patents, and by the time that ran out, everybody was using it.

I don't doubt that something like that happened with chainsaws.
In engineering school, we had to do some crazy unit conversions for practice. I remember having to convert gravitational acceleration from meters/second squared to furlongs per fortnight squared. And we only had sliderules then. It was a big number!

Hmmmm... Furlongs per fortnight....

I don't think that could work. The distance from the gravitational center would change. Gravity gets weaker as you get further away, you know.

Without allowing for any diminution due to distance, that would be 5.865x10E4 furlongs per fortnight squared. (assuming 4 place accuracy) Best to do that measurement in a path tangential to the earth's orbit around the sun. Even then, that path will be converted into a parabola in the very first fortnight of falling.

Hmmmm... Furlongs per fortnight....

I don't think that could work. The distance from the gravitational center would change. Gravity gets weaker as you get further away, you know.

Without allowing for any diminution due to distance, that would be 5.865x10E4 furlongs per fortnight squared. (assuming 4 place accuracy) Best to do that measurement in a path tangential to the earth's orbit around the sun. Even then, that path will be converted into a parabola in the very first fortnight of falling.
We are talking about gravitational acceleration at sea level, not going into space. But the answer, to 2 significant digits, I think is 2.4E10, based on 9.8 m/s^2.

Here in Norway as rest of Europa is the metric system,but chainsawbars is always mesured in inches. 12 for the 201, 14 or 15 for the 261 and 18 for a 572, we use shorther bars. Lumber is also in inches, everybody says 2 by 4 not 48 x 98 mm.
I worked with an old Dutch carpenter and he would use a tape with both. He would say that's 5 meters, 4and a half inches

Back