Files Files miles of files..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's the fire

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hiya all.. My first post so be gentle..

I have been using Stihl for a few years and used the files that come with the saw but I have bought a second hand 024 saw now and got it working.. So to my question;
Is there a list of round file sizes to get ? is there a standard set of round file sizes that would cover most chains ? I am not impressed with the Stihl files so I am in the market to buy decent files and Oregon seem to be the ones I'll go for as a Homey but I'm confused by the sizing.. Any one have a collection of files that have served them well over the years ?
Stihl Flat file is crap too so I am going to buy a decent one of those too but that must be a standard flat file I'm guessing..

Thank you all..

File size depends on the chain size. What size chain are you using.
Thanks for your response, I am aware there are file and chain matches but I was wondering if there were some file sizes that cover more than one chain, for instance if you don't know the size of the chain.. so put it another way I suppose I'm asking if there are comon file sizes ?

There tends to be one size of round file for each cutter size. That is, one file size for chains with various pitches: .325", .375", .375" lo pro, etc.

The 024 came with .325" chain. You don't say what your first saw is.

You will be fine using a 3/16" file for all .325" chain.

Roy

Thanks for your response, I am aware there are file and chain matches but I was wondering if there were some file sizes that cover more than one chain, for instance if you don't know the size of the chain.. so put it another way I suppose I'm asking if there are comon file sizes ?
I have 3 round files, 5/32 for the LP chain, 3/16 for the .325, and 7/32 for the bigger 3/8th chain and my spacing saw.

Hiya all.. My first post so be gentle..

I have been using Stihl for a few years and used the files that come with the saw but I have bought a second hand 024 saw now and got it working.. So to my question;
Is there a list of round file sizes to get ? is there a standard set of round file sizes that would cover most chains ? I am not impressed with the Stihl files so I am in the market to buy decent files and Oregon seem to be the ones I'll go for as a Homey but I'm confused by the sizing.. Any one have a collection of files that have served them well over the years ?
Stihl Flat file is crap too so I am going to buy a decent one of those too but that must be a standard flat file I'm guessing..

Thank you all..
I'm surprised the Stihl files didn't hold up. They are usually one of the best. Pferd is also good as is Vallorbe. I'm using one of their raker files now and am very pleased. Be sure to lift the file after each cutting stroke, don't drag it backwards across the cutter. I've read that Forester Files are made by Vallorbe. I have some coming in a few days and will report. I've been using SaveEdge files for years but can no longer find them. You want a real raker file as they don't have cutters on the sides - in case you hit a chain cutter.

The old Oregon files that were made in Portugal are some of the best I have used. I am not buying these from eBay, only 2 at a time. But they are excellent and super long lasting. Interesting, at least some Save edge files were made in Portugal, probably same files and why those were so good. I just looked at the one box on EBay. I am probably going to look at Vallorbe.

Attachments

• A4FF63C4-5984-417E-9B5A-5656AFDF7951.png
    A4FF63C4-5984-417E-9B5A-5656AFDF7951.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Pferd files seem to last longer. Oregon is good also. 5/32, 3/16, 7/32 are the most common sizes for most chain's. Storing files properly will extend their life too... lot's of guy's just throw them in their toolbox. What happens is they rub on each other or other tools and loose sharpness... I store mine in a pvc threaded pipe with end caps and each one gets it's own drinking straw for protection. Another tip is to tap the file every once in a while when sharpening a chain to remove filing buildup...it's cheaper to just buy a pack of each size because ultimately you're going to use them and sharpening with a dull file sucks...

The old Oregon files that were made in Portugal are some of the best I have used. I am not buying these from eBay, only 2 at a time. But they are excellent and super long lasting. Interesting, at least some Save edge files were made in Portugal, probably same files and why those were so good. I just looked at the one box on EBay. I am probably going to look at Vallorbe.
I've heard the Oregon file in the black box are pro-grade. Red box are homeowners. Don't know if this is true or not.

You're going to also need a few flat files for the rakers and most guy's use a raker guage contraption.. I've personally never bought one but they are helpful for beginners... everytime you file the cutter tooth You're going to need to lower the raker too... The most important thing is that all angles, cutter tooth length and raker height match.. or else your saw will cut crooked, slow and less efficient. Uneven bar rail guides will also need to be addressed with a flat file every now and then for the same reason... All my guy's always claim that the bar's bent.... 95% of the time it's a bad sharpening job or bar rail guides Uneven from running chains loose....

I've heard the Oregon file in the black box are pro-grade. Red box are homeowners. Don't know if this is true or not.
Never seen the black box edition...always white with red and black oregon logo on it... I can't imagine that Baileys, wesspur and other's sell homeowner File's... Pferd File's are better in my opinion but we buy Oregon's because of convenience.

Latest posts

Back