Finally Found a Reasonably Price 064 - Now What???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't understand this replacing stuff on a saw before you even run it.
And, if it takes you more than about 10 seconds to tell whether a saw has any serious issues you should take up knitting.

It's pretty much my standard operating procedure to replace fuel line, impulse line, and fuel filter on any new-to-me saw that I'm going to run.

As for the knitting comment, you should really consider your audience before you post something like that. You just might be directing it at a very large combat vet with serious anger issues.

The one I posted about is much worse than the other two I have here, it was a special build I did many moons ago, I know the module is a big part of the problem as it will fire too early, lately and take the pull handle right out of a clenched fist. I drop start all saws and this one is a challenge, it has broken 2 brand new Elastostart pull handle cord setups and will continue to be a hard starter until I change that module out, I have spares but also like the way it runs when it is started and running, it will eat my other 066`s and ported 064 for lunch and spit the hard to digest parts out the dual port. I actually like the challenge of starting it and there is not one other cutter around me that would ask to use it, I have even made the offer and always get declined immediately with many expletives added. I also own and use 090 and 070 with a ContrsS thrown in for extra beans so I know there are other saws that start easier or harder.
There is no doubt the module has a ton to do with it. I had that same problem on one years ago. It would kick back and rip the starter handle out of your hand. The module/flywheel combinations on that series is a horrible mess.

There is no doubt the module has a ton to do with it. I had that same problem on one years ago. It would kick back and rip the starter handle out of your hand. The module/flywheel combinations on that series is a horrible mess.
When I first built it there was no trouble with the module but it has much more compression than a stock saw, the squish band was cut out some and the base shaved to bring the squish down to around .020 maybe a tad less, was a long time back and details become fuzzy after building so many saws since. I know the comp is over 200 now but if I changed out that module I know the saw would be much easier on the hand to start it, what fun that would be. I have another new Elastostart pull to install before I start using it for hurricane cleanup this spring.

It's pretty much my standard operating procedure to replace fuel line, impulse line, and fuel filter on any new-to-me saw that I'm going to run.

As for the knitting comment, you should really consider your audience before you post something like that. You just might be directing it at a very large combat vet with serious anger issues.
So, you don't know how to knit ?

Seriously, if that is your standard operating then you are a hobbyist and don't have any need to keep a lot of stuff running, or justify charging for it.

Go troll someone else douchebag.

Not trolling. You are doing things to that saw that do not need to be done until you have some evidence that they need to be done. It's your toy so that is fine. But, everything you are replacing will become evident that they need to be replaced when they need to be replaced.

Tool or toy, neither is bad. You just can't replace all of that and justify the cost as a repair to a customer.

You just can't replace all of that and justify the cost as a repair to a customer.

Who said anything about a customer? Oh that's right, you did.

He clearly stated in his first post this is his saw. He never said he throws parts on customer saws. but you did.

I guess telling somebody that they are pissing away money is just such a bad thing.
It's his money, who cares what he does with it as long as he knows he's doing it.

Nice 064 OP, I've been looking at one but not sure I really need the HP for what I'm doing.

Who said anything about a customer? Oh that's right, you did.

He clearly stated in his first post this is his saw. He never said he throws parts on customer saws. but you did.

It's his money, who cares what he does with it as long as he knows he's doing it.

Nice 064 OP, I've been looking at one but not sure I really need the HP for what I'm doing.

You are right. I think he should replace the crankshaft, bearings, piston, cylinder, etc. while it runs fine as it is.

I just got an 064 3 weeks ago. Traded a well used but solid 661 with a new mtronic kit. The 064 ran great. I always pull the muffler off new saws. First problem was the “muffler mod”. The guy carefully removed the inner baffle with a hand sledge and cold chisel. Wish he’d left that alone. Second I found some scoring on the ex. Side and some skirt wear. It had a new fuel and pulse line and the boot is good. I replaced the piston and gave the cylinder a light clean up. Luckily that was fine. Cheap insurance for a sought after not too common saw.B2074227-7387-4355-83F9-14DBED484E4C.jpeg

Anyone know where I can find a genuine Stihl HD air filter and pre-filter for this saw?

I have an early 064 w/HD filter assy, but it's not a spare.

You'll need the inner housing and the cover besides the filters ( PN#s 1122 120 3411,1122 140 1001). Not sure if the plastics are still available but the filters should be. As of 2019 the housing/cover were listed by Stihl, ~$30 each.

Try the trading post here in chainsaw parts as wanted ad.

I just got an 064 3 weeks ago. Traded a well used but solid 661 with a new mtronic kit. The 064 ran great. I always pull the muffler off new saws. First problem was the “muffler mod”. The guy carefully removed the inner baffle with a hand sledge and cold chisel. Wish he’d left that alone. Second I found some scoring on the ex. Side and some skirt wear. It had a new fuel and pulse line and the boot is good. I replaced the piston and gave the cylinder a light clean up. Luckily that was fine. Cheap insurance for a sought after not too common saw.View attachment 1061170
Looks like a good tenner's bench

Looks like a good tenner's bench
Came from my highschool shop class. They were knocking the school down a few years ago. I remained friends with the shop teacher since I graduated in 99 and he used to put scrap metal out for me. The city “condemned” a bunch of tools/equipment. 2 baldor ginders, 2 of those benches, horizontal bandsaw, brake shoe machine. And half the “scrap” was usually cool stuff. All from late 70s early 80s when the school was built. I saved most of it. Don’t know what happened to the Baldor bench grinders but I missed those.
That bench weighs about 300 lbs. solid 2” maple runners 96” and all thread rod bound. The cast iron stake plates are in mint shape and it has angle iron edging. All to be thrown away.

Came from my highschool shop class. They were knocking the school down a few years ago. I remained friends with the shop teacher since I graduated in 99 and he used to put scrap metal out for me. The city “condemned” a bunch of tools/equipment. 2 baldor ginders, 2 of those benches, horizontal bandsaw, brake shoe machine. And half the “scrap” was usually cool stuff. All from late 70s early 80s when the school was built. I saved most of it. Don’t know what happened to the Baldor bench grinders but I missed those.
That bench weighs about 300 lbs. solid 2” maple runners 96” and all thread rod bound. The cast iron stake plates are in mint shape and it has angle iron edging. All to be thrown away.

HS I went to dropped all vocational instruction. The tools machines were put out in the rain. Wish I'd known, they even scrapped a Bridgeport. I learned a lot in Metal Fabrication and Power Mechanics classes there.

HS I went to dropped all vocational instruction. The tools machines were put out in the rain. Wish I'd known, they even scrapped a Bridgeport. I learned a lot in Metal Fabrication and Power Mechanics classes there.
Yeah. If you think about all the good stuff that gets junked you’d be furious. I’ve found some good stuff at scrap yards too. The junkies who dump stuff for quick cash will scrap anything.

Do you have the tooling to go with it?

https://www.penntoolco.com/roper-wh...SX_OAiRj79dQrvCShB-vV_LOoVauVv7xoCM6oQAvD_BwE

Back