Finally had a session where double-SRT totally changed everything :D

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
I'd been trying to make use of the 2-systems SRT setup and at any rate just found the greatest use- I had to remove some smaller limbs that were really high and there wasn't a good-enough anchor-point to get there safely, but by using the 2 separate lines - each being routed-around several branch-systems in the top of the canopy, each combining strength from its component branches and going to one of my side-d's, I'd tried this several times and it always "helped a lil" but this job it made it entirely I never could've gotten in-position safely w/o the height that I achieved w/ the 2 srt setups (oh and, for some light rigging on one of the limbs, I made-use of a similar principle with my awesome rigging sling, it's an "eye&eye" 9.5' long anchor where each end has an XL ring, so again I just wrapped several crotches/forks together to 'brace' the anchoring and allow an anchor at a height where no single union existed)

Was using the "treesqueeze"-type lanyards I've made for this which was excellent and almost made fliplining pointless for much of the climb (was a sprawling Camphor but still), just repeatedly moving-up each Squeezer(what I call my DIY Treesqueezes) made it so simple to traverse so simply (cannot recommend these guys enough, I've got one made of folded-over Mercury and one of Blue Moon and, in this session, used the opposite climbline w/ the squeezer which helped a lot w/ rope-differentiation once everything was all wrapped-up everywhere as I'd base-tied both of those setups as well as the white 1/2 p.dyne bullrope)

I feel silly for taking so long to have found that I can effectively go higher in any given "sprawling canopy broadleaf" by utilizing double-anchors (since only 50% strength needed* with 2 anchors), had made-use of it with my 'snake anchor'** but this job it changed it entirely I'd other wise have been rigging then finding help for the ropes so someone could hold them while I cut w/ polesaw(praying it reached, they were low and mine's 14' but woulda been close..) Do a lot of climbers use double-srt? Is it more a "people do or don't" or "it's just another tool"? Because for sprawling-type canopies it almost seems quicker (w/ Squeezers at least) to traverse and position sooooo much better if you go higher than you could've with a single-anchor ie where the forks are getting weaker.

[[[
*=I'm not being that liberal w/ the #'s, it's more like "If I have two anchor-spots that are each 2/3rd-enough" then that combined 4/3rd strength with the 2 systems changes it but, obviously, enough force to one side and it'd be full-load to that side and you'd be snapping it, certainly depends on climber/tree/condition/etc
**=unsure why nothing comparable is sold, the 3-ringed 6' x-ring sling (which I found very useful, just a lil short) is the closest available, but surprised no medium-->long "eye&eye" rig slings, I put an XL onto each end of ~10, 3/4" Polydyne[26k lbs] line and it is by far the most-used & most-versatile, can wrap each end "spread apart" to have a 2-anchor-effect (in a way) with just 1 sling that didn't need knotting....couldn't recommend enough that anybody make one, mine would cost like $90 for rings&rope if you can do simple large-bullrope-splicing which is very very straightforward hardly more difficult than 12S!!
]]]

Oh and the whole "treesqueeze-type lanyard configuration" slings I made, they really are a game-changer, I hope more people try them they are amazing and, commercially, only available via Buck for just under $200, it is a GREAT concept I use mine most-every climb actually and they're as simple to make as a regular adjustable-flipline (using Ice Tail for prussiks on this, and everything IMO, is great way to keep simple&cheap but still high ABS, it's 8.5k lbs and splicing is as easy as TEC :) )
Buck's video on this lanyard-configuration is actually quite well-done, these things are great cannot urge trying them enough, yesterday when using two in my 2-SRT setup I kept finding the flipline redundant because the 2 squeezers were fasting me to the stems tighter than my lanyard (ie while progressing it was easier to just go 'left right left right' with the two lines' squeezers, then constantly changing flipilne's length....the squeezer's allow more forgiveness in hitch-placement while still choking-off the stem properly) VId:
mine after use yesterday, color-coding on the way up was neat the client was staring whole time yknow the type I mean so with a many-branches canopy/lots of redirects it was probably 85% these and 15% flipline during ascent and most traversing, just putting it on for making cuts 19700106_011850.jpg [edit-to-add: just made that b.moon one recently w/ extra rope, primary is the better Mercury one, would put it against a $200 Buck unit any day, the strength is higher and it's more dynamic but those #'s are so high it's more a thing of mine having 2 pieces of metal hardware each side it's a far better bend-radius for the line passing-through it when you're using it as an anchor -- to be crystal clear these are fantastic anchors it's not just traversing though because if basally anchored and, say, you find hornets you can descend from the line right where it is instead of needing a crotch, and just simple ascent/traverse it's great to always have a 'tight bite' on stems that you can't get w/ regular fliplines!]

Back