Finally put my Black Friday County Line 25T splitter to work!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Damn that made quick work of my firewood! What usually takes me a week was split snd stacked in a day and a half!

I have a question after the first real use though. I heat cycled it a few times before I went all out with it. Varying rpm and splitting some small stuff. Sunday I was splitting 20”-26” rounds of dry Doug Fir. Most pieces split easily at 3/4 throttle or so. For the biggest pieces I opened her up. I think it kicked in the second stage of the pump a few times. The ram never stopped but it slowed way down.

My question is about hydraulic heat. It was only low 80’s out but by the time I started splitting the 6th round I could smell hot hydraulic fluid. The cylinder was too hot to hold my hand agains and the hydraulic tank even felt hot. That seemed like a good spot to shut it down anyways to stack what I had split, pet the dog, and drink a little water. Gave it around 30 minutes rest and got back at it. Of course as the day went on it just got hotter. I probably would have finished in s day if I wasn’t concerned with how hot it was getting.

Is it normal for the hydraulics to get this hot or am I pushing it too hard?

Damn that made quick work of my firewood! What usually takes me a week was split snd stacked in a day and a half!

I have a question after the first real use though. I heat cycled it a few times before I went all out with it. Varying rpm and splitting some small stuff. Sunday I was splitting 20”-26” rounds of dry Doug Fir. Most pieces split easily at 3/4 throttle or so. For the biggest pieces I opened her up. I think it kicked in the second stage of the pump a few times. The ram never stopped but it slowed way down.

My question is about hydraulic heat. It was only low 80’s out but by the time I started splitting the 6th round I could smell hot hydraulic fluid. The cylinder was too hot to hold my hand agains and the hydraulic tank even felt hot. That seemed like a good spot to shut it down anyways to stack what I had split, pet the dog, and drink a little water. Gave it around 30 minutes rest and got back at it. Of course as the day went on it just got hotter. I probably would have finished in s day if I wasn’t concerned with how hot it was getting.

Is it normal for the hydraulics to get this hot or am I pushing it too hard?
To build that much heat that quick you have a restriction somewhere in the system. Looking at pictures of your splitter I would suspect the 90 degree fitting on the hose going into the control valve from the pump. I would get an infrared thermometer and check for hot spots.

I have a brute 22 ton splitter from menards. I can run it for 2 hours and the tank barely gets lukewarm.

Back