Finally the new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still getting a little sap every day. Gonna fire up the cooker for an hour this afternoon, otherwise the sap will go bad. I'm hoping we get some more freezing temps sooner rather than later. It's very early in the year to be done, but if this warm rainy weather keeps up, it'll put an end to things.
Maples are budding out here, people who make syrup say the season is done and was a poor one?
You going to need a bigger tractor to pull it:drinkingcoffee:

Got one, will this do?

DSCF0011.JPG

Maples are budding out here, people who make syrup say the season is done and was a poor one?

Got one, will this do?

View attachment 897040

The people I know who hang buckets or bags didn't have a great season, and from what I've seen most of them pulled their taps last weekend. Buds on the red maples are getting bigger, but the sugars here are still tight. One huge benefit of a tubing and vacuum system is that warm weather like we've had won't necessarily kill the season. Bacteria in the taphole (which you can't prevent with bucket taps) is what signals the trees to stop sending sap through the wound. A clean, sealed system helps keep the bacteria at bay much longer. You still have to watch out for sap that has gone "buddy", but that's a separate issue from the sap stopping because the taps dried up.

Up here I'm at 80-85% of my goal, so I wouldn't say it was a poor season. I have a neighbor bringing me sap who has hauled a truly unbelievable amount. He's on tubing with good vacuum. So, even in years with less than ideal weather, it's possible to eke out a good crop.

Well I am done for the season, finished today. Way later than usual. It was super cold in Feb. and I had to use a small 25 ton splitter for about 2/3rds of the pile. Put the log lift to the test today with a large round. It was so big I could not budge it off the cut end and had to get a cant to get on its side so I could roll it. Note the size of the branch coming out of it. Blew it off with a leaf blower will wash tomorrow. About an hour before I was done ran low on fuel intentionally and topped off with 100LL aviation fuel for Summarizing. Will wash tomorrow, remove the push plate stop to fully retract the cylinder and then cover after collapsing the tongue and log table.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG