Fire Ash in Compost?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyferraynor

Reaction score
Hi. Can I use fire ash in compost as carbon? my compost pile is good and steamy, but too much nitrogen. Slimy and smelly. I would rather not use cardboard and news paper because they might contain glue and ink. Fire ash however, is very easy for me to get. We have wood fires frequently. We only burn wood from our pile and a fire starter at the center is all we use. If I collected ashes on the outside of it to use in compost, is this acceptable? I'm not trying to poison myself with my compost lol.

I think most newspaper is soy based ink now
Hi. Can I use fire ash in compost as carbon? my compost pile is good and steamy, but too much nitrogen. Slimy and smelly. I would rather not use cardboard and news paper because they might contain glue and ink. Fire ash however, is very easy for me to get. We have wood fires frequently. We only burn wood from our pile and a fire starter at the center is all we use. If I collected ashes on the outside of it to use in compost, is this acceptable? I'm not trying to poison myself with my compost lol.

i do not put any wood ash in my compost piles! have, but only small amt. did it on advice/research. stopped when i saw the results. it's like coffee, paper and egg shells! i never seen an egg shell decompose worth a darn in over 40 years! we put in bio's only. our compost is large circular welded wire. and we do not turn any of it. my compost never smells bad. always has a fresh forest floor odor to it once composted. if your concerns were my concerns, i would go over to Utube-U... in general, plenty of good, sound advice there on many points of composting.

i think MP has the right idea. however, weed seeds take a long time to decompose and may get replanted into the garden when compost used. i like to put a layer of dirt on my bio-degrading column from time to time, too. i like the results ~

MP: Add organic matter: hay, grass clippings, leaves, woodchips, sawdust, dead weeds, .....

imo - skip the wood ash!!, study the specific needs of the plants you grow... adjust accordingly... and for best results use a balanced side dressing. 13-13-13, for example. organic or bagged, the plants can only use N-P-K in one form, and one form only. for ideal side dressing results, u have to know what your plant is doing down under. just tossing some at base of stalk is less than idea. less is more, too....

Good Luck with your gardening.

From our home garden - 2022
P1010002.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010002.JPG

You can also spread the ash by itself kind of like lime would be applied. Make sure there are no burning embers though!

We use it in the vegetable garden.
guess 'each to his own' is a fair statement. i thot about it further... a light dusting on a compost pile mite be ok.
mr Del_ definitely does a nice garden... :cool:

guess 'each to his own' is a fair statement. i thot about it further... a light dusting on a compost pile mite be ok.
mr Del_ definitely does a nice garden... :cool:
Wood ash provides soluble potassium (KOH), got that? It is a very strong base, lower PH fast and drastic, has some phosphorus P2O5. Phosphorus is not mobile in soil potassium is. P2O5 is an acid but wayyyyy to much KOH to offset acidity.

Use wood ash as a K supplement , but watch PH. Can use it like lime to lower PH. If soil needs Ca/calcium use dolmite lime to raise PH and for Ca

Wood ash provides soluble potassium (KOH), got that? It is a very strong base, lower PH fast and drastic, has some phosphorus P2O5. Phosphorus is not mobile in soil potassium is. P2O5 is an acid but wayyyyy to much KOH to offset acidity.

Use wood ash as a K supplement , but watch PH. Can use it like lime to lower PH. If soil needs Ca/calcium use dolmite lime to raise PH and for Ca
lots of positivity on the subject... i have never used on or in garden. just some in compost.

Is firepit ash good for gardens?

One of the most common uses for wood ashes is as garden fertilizer
. Fire pit ashes valuable nutrients like calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorous. These are the things that plants will need to grow strong. You can also use wood to change the pH of the soil.

You can also spread the ash by itself kind of like lime would be applied. Make sure there are no burning embers though!

We use it in the vegetable garden.
I heat with wood, save all the ash and don't burn plastic/garbage in the stoves.

I put it on all my plants except stuff like bluebrreies and hydrangega (Sp?). They both want acidic soils

Great potassium source as mine is all hardwood. Best to use when garden is dormant or spring when incorporating. Sudden PH change can hurt plants.

I'm told taters don't like them? But grandparents here gave them some too (PH taters want low), they were salt of the earth Polock tater farmers....

I heat with wood, save all the ash and don't burn plastic/garbage in the stoves.

I put it on all my plants except stuff like bluebrreies and hydrangega (Sp?). They both want acidic soils

Great potassium source as mine is all hardwood. Best to use when garden is dormant or spring when incorporating. Sudden PH change can hurt plants.

I'm told taters don't like them? But grandparents here gave them some too (PH taters want low), they were salt of the earth Polock tater farmers....

Almost exactly what I do. I never put ash in the compost pile.

I spread most of my wood ash in the winter or early spring. Sometimes when planting I will add a couple of pounds per 50ft. bed(beds 3 x 50ft) in the furrow with planting fertilizer or side dressings. What we don't use in the garden, and the garden only gets about 15% of our wood ash, we lightly spread the other 85% in the woods (21acres) and around other trees in our lawn and landscape. We have a minimum lawn that mostly consists of grass pathways for vehicle access.

We store ash all winter from 4 cords of mixed hardwood and softwoods in a piece of metal culvert covered with a door off of an old washing machine. Never any trash in the wood stove.

Wood ash bin 002.JPG

Wood ash bin 004.JPG

Vegetable Garden 6-29-2022 002.JPG

Vegetable Garden 6-29-2022 003.JPG

Vegetable Garden 6-29-2022 006.JPG

If you use ashes, then you should be careful of what you put in your fireplace.
I am sure you are one of the many who do, but I had to say it anyways.
I live in a coastal state, S.C. so our pH is low 5.0--5.5, so we can use lots of ashes on our garden, non on blueberries.
But you should check your pH n the Spring after using ash, ust to be sure.

https://www.hamiltonswcd.org/vegetablesforalkalinesoils.html
Vegetables for Alkaline Soils
  1. Asparagus (6.0-8.0)
  2. Beans, pole (6.0-7.5)
  3. Beet (6.0-7.5)
  4. Brussels Sprouts (6.0-7.5)
  5. Cauliflower (5.5-7.5)
  6. Garlic (5.5-8.0)
  7. Kale (6.0-7.5)
  8. Pea, sweet (6.0-7.5)
  9. Pumpkin (5.5-7.5)
  10. Spinach (6.0-7.5)
  11. Crookneck Squash (6.0-7.5)
  12. Tomato (5.5-7.5)
Any reading over 8.0 could be harmful for most plants.

i do not put any wood ash in my compost piles! have, but only small amt. did it on advice/research. stopped when i saw the results. it's like coffee, paper and egg shells! i never seen an egg shell decompose worth a darn in over 40 years! we put in bio's only. our compost is large circular welded wire. and we do not turn any of it. my compost never smells bad. always has a fresh forest floor odor to it once composted. if your concerns were my concerns, i would go over to Utube-U... in general, plenty of good, sound advice there on many points of composting.

i think MP has the right idea. however, weed seeds take a long time to decompose and may get replanted into the garden when compost used. i like to put a layer of dirt on my bio-degrading column from time to time, too. i like the results ~

MP: Add organic matter: hay, grass clippings, leaves, woodchips, sawdust, dead weeds, .....

imo - skip the wood ash!!, study the specific needs of the plants you grow... adjust accordingly... and for best results use a balanced side dressing. 13-13-13, for example. organic or bagged, the plants can only use N-P-K in one form, and one form only. for ideal side dressing results, u have to know what your plant is doing down under. just tossing some at base of stalk is less than idea. less is more, too....

View attachment 999952View attachment 999953View attachment 999955
Looks really good,but I would say the tomatoes are lacking in calcium.

View attachment 999952View attachment 999953View attachment 999955
Eggshells in compost is long debated, some some say grind the shell & add a little vinegar, then it can be taken up by the plant.
I compost my shell just because they are better in the garden then the city dump, home made chicken compost is full of oyster shell.
I use pellet gypsum because it does not lower the pH, but about five year mark, if test show the soil pH is below 6.0, I use lime to raise the pH above 6.0.
And on myths, pine straw does not lower pH when it compost in soil or a compost pile, it is neutral when composted. Note: OGM.

Almost exactly what I do. I never put ash in the compost pile.

I spread most of my wood ash in the winter or early spring. Sometimes when planting I will add a couple of pounds per 50ft. bed(beds 3 x 50ft) in the furrow with planting fertilizer or side dressings. What we don't use in the garden, and the garden only gets about 15% of our wood ash, we lightly spread the other 85% in the woods (21acres) and around other trees in our lawn and landscape. We have a minimum lawn that mostly consists of grass pathways for vehicle access.

We store ash all winter from 4 cords of mixed hardwood and softwoods in a piece of metal culvert covered with a door off of an old washing machine. Never any trash in the wood stove.

View attachment 1000161

View attachment 1000160

View attachment 1000162

View attachment 1000163

View attachment 1000164
Looks like heaven, is that sunchoke or some other sun flower in your garden. Looks like you have a few fig trees too.
I have a green fig that has not fruited as of yet & about twenty brown turkey fig trees.

Latest posts

Back