Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RandyMac - You were right - when you mentioned playing with saws I should have known. I wonder if there are more Kathryn Davidson Wildfire people here than just you and me? Maybe the BrushSlasher?

Bob Frazier
Not me, I gather my information from various online sites, maps, ect ect. When the opportunity presents itself I go observe the fire.

Conconully survived the night. The local fire departments were there overnight and did a burnout One chicken coop was lost. Now I worry because I read where a California team will take it over. :eek:

View attachment 924554Went on a bike ride today because it was less smoky. Saw this parked at the fire camp. Note the word...parked.

Why that thought ?

Sent from my iPhone using see

Why that thought ?

Californians have a bad reputation in the fire community. Some of it is deserved, some is not.
There's also a strong anti-Californian bias among the regular citizens. Again, some of it is deserved and some is not.
It's just people, doing what they do.

Californians have a bad reputation in the fire community. Some of it is deserved, some is not.
There's also a strong anti-Californian bias among the regular citizens. Again, some of it is deserved and some is not.
It's just people, doing what they do.

All good thx . The Anti-California bias, I can totally understand
Bad Rep in the fire community ?? as far as tactics, handling , work ethic, LG vs State vs Fed FF and how they are , thier wants , needs, or expectations ect ??

Guess I don’t fully understand without an example and not such a broad statement

In no way slinging Ill will, just curious

Feel free to PM if needed

All good thx . The Anti-California bias, I can totally understand
Bad Rep in the fire community ?? as far as tactics, handling , work ethic, LG vs State vs Fed FF and how they are , thier wants , needs, or expectations ect ??

Guess I don’t fully understand without an example and not such a broad statement

In no way slinging Ill will, just curious

Feel free to PM if needed

I would have answered this sooner but I took a "temporary" job as truck boss for a small fleet of water tenders. I've been spending most of my time on the road from one fire to another.
The anti-Californian bias isn't something you need to worry about. You'll find it expressed mostly by lower echelon overhead that don't know any better. The more experienced overhead might feel the same bias but they tend to keep their mouth shut about it.
Again it's a case of a few bad apples from our corner of the world who, thinking that they were superior beings and therefore infallible, swaggered into one too many incidents, ran their mouth, and then couldn't back up what they said with experience or a plan of action.
You've been in this business long enough to know that a bad reputation is hard to shake. In a lot of cases, most cases probably, the anti-Californian bias isn't valid.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Getting solid rain and snow in the central Sierra Nevada range right now. Still nothing in our neck of the woods.

We got good rain here yesterday morning.

And this is Huntington Lake yesterday morning, 7,200 feet. Shaver is about 5,600 feet, and got rain.

C0DEE2B1-8341-4E50-BA23-2AD3C8931D0C.jpeg

We are on a thinning project right now and looking at snow over the next couple days. Last Friday I was rocking it in a short sleeve shirt and loving the mild fall weather. Now we'll be starting in the Morning and it's supposed to be about 22°

There's no way to do that on the scale that's needed in the western US. Japan has hardly any forest compared to the US. It was a good day for a prescribed burn, it just got away from them.
Not even with the removal of fuel with an army of volunteers from the local community? I can see where the public sector unions might object to honest work.

If the lazy (anti-work ethic) bureaucrats in Washington, DC did mechanical clearing and thinning (like in Japan), there wouldn't be a need for prescribed burns.
First of all, those folks are not trained in running machinery and doing forestry work. I assume you literally mean to have them out on the ground?

Secondly, there is NO one size fits all prescription for the forests. Just what would you do with all the slash generated by a large scale thinning project? It doesn't magically go away, and unless you are in favor of spending more taxpayer money, it isn't feasible to haul it off, after all you are talking about large scale which means those areas far from civilization and roads. Or having to reopen roads to get to those area which is not cheap. Leave slash on the ground on the dryer forests and it makes for good tinder in the next thunder storm or wind event.

It isn't simple.

Back