Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruh roh. BC is getting fires sprouting up. One is heading to town.
https://www.pentictonwesternnews.co...0B4IbG7WQpvYnN51fxlsKIG7c-ZmId2f9Ss8DSYEdBNPg

Lytton in the Fraser Canyon, often the hottest spot in Canada was basically wiped out the past 24 hours.
Set hottest temps ever records four days in a row with the last being 49.6 C or 121.3 F. Here's a photo comparison of before and after.
Top photo is what it looks like today and bottom is what it looked like before.
Wiped out most infrastructure, the RCMP station, BC Hydro, Cel towers, the railroad and most of the buildings in the village.
Last I heard there were a few people missing and two confirmed dead.
Over 1,000 people evacuated in all directions so may take some time to locate everyone.
Bad situation.
LyttonBeforeAfterFire.jpg

Take care.

Lytton in the Fraser Canyon, often the hottest spot in Canada was basically wiped out the past 24 hours.
Set hottest temps ever records four days in a row with the last being 49.6 C or 121.3 F. Here's a photo comparison of before and after.
Top photo is what it looks like today and bottom is what it looked like before.
Wiped out most infrastructure, the RCMP station, BC Hydro, Cel towers, the railroad and most of the buildings in the village.
Last I heard there were a few people missing and two confirmed dead.
Over 1,000 people evacuated in all directions so may take some time to locate everyone.
Bad situation.
View attachment 916167

Take care.
Sounds really bad, Dave, hope they get it controlled soon!

Snake River Complex is burning through where I used to live.
I'll have to make some calls in the morning and see what's going on.
That's the third time in about ten years that has burned, but in the past they stopped it before it got into the trees. I have heard that this time it's in the trees.

Bad stuff out west-everywhere. My kid just left the Beckwourth Complex fire in California, for R and R after 14 days straight. They have not been able to do much with it, but I think parts are getting better. I read a bit from a guy that has been in the fire service in one form, or another, for 60 years. He said that he had never seen any fire conditions like they are this year. Lots of fire season left yet.

Fires to the west and east of here. The section of hwy 20 that goes through the Nort' Cascades is closed. Hwy 155 to the east is closed and the tiny town of Nespelem evacuated last night. These are lightning caused fires.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7636/
This is the fire that burned through my old stomping grounds.
It's kind of a miracle they didn't lose a bunch of homes, most people up there don't do much of anything to prepare for fire, they just live in the woods and hope for the best.
Looks like they used the old fire lines and then took advantage of a east wind to backfire down the line to the south creating a huge swath of black to stop the fire running uphill into the houses in the Glen and above Redbird Rd.
A lot of that ground it steep. I've hiked it a few times and it really is a technical climb in many areas. It's also hot on the South faces, and the wind never stops blowing, ever. When I lived up there I was out on a barren point and the weather station recorded winds in excess of 90mph more than once. If it was screwed to the earth it blew away.

Anyway, it isn't out yet and I know they are slogging through it. Looks like almost 400 people working it now. I know there are a couple hundred more private people working it too, several of the contractors and ranchers in the valley sent water trucks and cats up there.

Probably at least 600 total when you count the local people helping out. Been a pretty good team effort from what I'm hearing.
I think there were also up to 6 fixed wing aircraft, including an MD-87
Plus a few more rotary wing.

Considering all the other fires going right now it was a pretty massive effort. Saved a lot of homes and outbuildings, cabins, a few businesses.

Bad stuff out west-everywhere. My kid just left the Beckwourth Complex fire in California, for R and R after 14 days straight. They have not been able to do much with it, but I think parts are getting better. I read a bit from a guy that has been in the fire service in one form, or another, for 60 years. He said that he had never seen any fire conditions like they are this year. Lots of fire season left yet.

0730 on the Beckwourth 7/15
f84c646f489ee1364545e3dd7a91a952.jpg

e509ad9fe4876f657ba3347b5f48550c.jpg

2cb10adbe826c2a1657c3e1ce056dcf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using see

Let me see, fire to the east, fire to the west and one to the north. Smoke wasn't bad when I got up but now is getting worse. I blame Canada for that. They had a fire "explode" about 50 miles north of us and that's where the wind is blowing from. I do think that the fire to the east is pretty well knocked down but haven't heard much about it. No mushroom clouds to see that way.

The little community of Mazama, in Warshington the state, (don't move here) is evacuated and the evacuations move on east as the fire burns that way. Heard it was spotting a half mile ahead last night. In case anybody was going to do the touristy thing of driving the N. Cascades Highway, it has been closed for a week due to the fires.

I could see the top of the mushroom cloud that is the Cub Cr. fire from the Safeway parking lot yesterday afternoon. Guess it blew up. It is to the north of Winthrop, in Warshington the state (don't move here) and also has kicked a few people and mules out of their homes. The mules are the USFS pack string.

Today ought to be fine and miserable for fire people out on the lines. A friend and I both are glad we don't do that anymore. Very glad.

Let me see, fire to the east, fire to the west and one to the north. Smoke wasn't bad when I got up but now is getting worse. I blame Canada for that. They had a fire "explode" about 50 miles north of us and that's where the wind is blowing from. I do think that the fire to the east is pretty well knocked down but haven't heard much about it. No mushroom clouds to see that way.

The little community of Mazama, in Warshington the state, (don't move here) is evacuated and the evacuations move on east as the fire burns that way. Heard it was spotting a half mile ahead last night. In case anybody was going to do the touristy thing of driving the N. Cascades Highway, it has been closed for a week due to the fires.

I could see the top of the mushroom cloud that is the Cub Cr. fire from the Safeway parking lot yesterday afternoon. Guess it blew up. It is to the north of Winthrop, in Warshington the state (don't move here) and also has kicked a few people and mules out of their homes. The mules are the USFS pack string.

Today ought to be fine and miserable for fire people out on the lines. A friend and I both are glad we don't do that anymore. Very glad.
It is a tough way to make a living, but my kid loves it. Kind of like being back in combat, without the bullets.

Patty I just read the California wildfire smoke has reached New York. Governor Newsom will be taxing all New Yorkers who inhale our smoke.

Patty I just read the California wildfire smoke has reached New York. Governor Newsom will be taxing all New Yorkers who inhale our smoke.
Cuomo has already signed the bill and is purposing new legislation for a tax to combat smoke from California.

The good news is that the wind came up pretty good and blew the smoke out of the valley. The bad news is that the wind is blowing. The evacuations in the valley to the west of here are ongoing and are moving closer to the fake western town of Winthrop. It's still got a ways to go. The cross country ski resort of Sun Mountain $$$ is at a level two evacuation notice.

I'm thinking that the fires are too big to do much about. They'll get under control in September or October.

And just a bit to the nort of here...<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is where the Okanogan Valley becomes the Okanagan Valley. We share the lake too. I wonder if we were sharing the planes? Sometimes the fire equipment goes over the boundary both ways when times are desperate. It is all cleared beforehand.

Oh, this is also Canada's version of SoCal. I think it is the warmest place for them to live, in the summer. They have a lot of Spanish style houses. they also have an ice rink with hockey and curling available. Anyway, here are the little planes at work.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back