firewood cutting with a bad back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billhook, I assume you don't have a bad back . His rig sure allows one person to move a heavy log but all of it would be impossible or very painful with a bad back. Think just leaning over and extending your arm to pick up a flower can make you yelp. Pick up the flower and then twist to the side and you'll yell out all your pin numbers.
I do like the way he repurposed the lawn trailer. That and even a lawn tractor could get sticks out of the woods if you could drag them after getting an end up on the axle.
Yes you have a point, but if your back is very bad you should either buy a machine to do the lifting or pay someone else to do the work!
I thought that what he showed was making the otherwise impossible, possible without expensive machinery

I’ll keep putting in suggestions until someone tells me to shut up!
This Russian is a bit hard to understand but the chainsaw at least is safe and easy to use. Perhaps with a hookeroon you could tilt one end of a log over and then lift the other end off the ground with the hookaroon and drag it onto the table

Yes you have a point, but if your back is very bad you should either buy a machine to do the lifting or pay someone else to do the work!
I thought that what he showed was making the otherwise impossible, possible without expensive machinery
No, you're right. That rig did allow him to move a big log around by himself. Keep on showing information that you think might help!
A bad back is unfortunately connected directly to a brain that remembers what you used to be able to do and can't give up the idea that you can still do it now. If you're lucky you'll experience how foolish geezers can be about what used to be and you'll probably try to just finagle a way to continue to do it just like the rest of us.
My back's bad but personally I'd have just bucked it up where it was laying initially.

No, you're right. That rig did allow him to move a big log around by himself. Keep on showing information that you think might help!
A bad back is unfortunately connected directly to a brain that remembers what you used to be able to do and can't give up the idea that you can still do it now. If you're lucky you'll experience how foolish geezers can be about what used to be and you'll probably try to just finagle a way to continue to do it just like the rest of us.
My back's bad but personally I'd have just bucked it up where it was laying initially.
I'll agree.I missed what he "gained" from all the work moving the logs. I would have cut in place.

Sharpness and teeth in the wood is at the bottom of it all. You could put a 36" bar an that saw if you're only cutting 10" pecker poles and the oiling is adequate even if it's hard wood. His longer bar is just to increase his ability to stand upright. I think he'll be disappointed if his aim is to help his back. I think the balance with the slight extra weight makes the saw noticeably tip heavy for limbing and bucking on the ground. I noticed it when I put a 28" bar on my saw.
I get it, I've done it, but I'd rather run a small saw. That being said it's not me with the issue, I'll be running a 70cc saw with a 24/28 tomorrow, and I'll also run everything from there down to a 35cc saw.
As @lone wolf said, a 241 is a nice saw, and a 201 is even better if you have a bad back, and a 193 is lighter yet, and a 2511wes is even lighter but...I think it's important to establish whether the weight is more of an issue for the OP, or bending over, also what exactly he wants to accomplish, which is why I didn't give a quick answer. There are many solutions for a problem, but just as cutting on his knees didn't work for him, a long bar may not either.
Until he post back I see no reason to keep offering solutions unless its for others, I'd also keep it simple as much of the info I understand, but someone new to cutting may get lost in it all.
I think everybody has missed the best choice for a back saver when bucking, it's a Bow saw. No bending and weight is supported on what you are cutting, all you have to do is hold on to the handle and let the weight of the saw do the work. The problem is finding one.

Was that you in the videos, if so, you're a hoot, and living on the edge:lol:. Nice saw/bars, I bet the chains weren't happy with all the trenching though :surprised3:. I liked the end of the video too.
I'll agree.I missed what he "gained" from all the work moving the logs. I would have cut in place.
He was moving them to mill, not to buck.

I think it all will become more clear when the OP says how many cords he uses in a season.
I agree. That and how much property he has. If he has a good sized lot say 10 acres, just keeping any trails clear and cutting dead fall will be enough for most indoor wood burners to heat yr round.
But if weight is a big issue more than bending over the a light saw will help a lot. I do a lot of cutting with my rear handled ms200 & ms201cm. A nice 40cc saw could help, too, but a much smaller weight than what he currently has would make a better 2 saw plan for now to give him some relief.
I'd like to get a little echo 2511 rear handle and then have it ported, not cheap, but great quality saw with plenty of power to run a 14-16 when ported. I bet with a 1/4x16" setup that would be a nice powerhouse and the weight would be as light as you're gonna get.

I agree. That and how much property he has. If he has a good sized lot say 10 acres, just keeping any trails clear and cutting dead fall will be enough for most indoor wood burners to heat yr round.
But if weight is a big issue more than bending over the a light saw will help a lot. I do a lot of cutting with my rear handled ms200 & ms201cm. A nice 40cc saw could help, too, but a much smaller weight than what he currently has would make a better 2 saw plan for now to give him some relief.
I'd like to get a little echo 2511 rear handle and then have it ported, not cheap, but great quality saw with plenty of power to run a 14-16 when ported. I bet with a 1/4x16" setup that would be a nice powerhouse and the weight would be as light as you're gonna get.
The pictures of his place looks like he's got a lot of what I'd call small trees that if he got enough cut to allow them to dry w/o splitting would be a real back saver.
I use a Redmax G300T 28.5 cc saw for 75% of my cutting firewood. It weighs 8.5 pounds with a 14" bar. That weight and the top handle are as easy on my back as I can expect. I only burn about 2 cords per year on a long term average here in California so it works great. I save the 61cc EA6100 Makita with a 28" bar for when I get lucky and get access to bigger trees. Lots of ways to handle his problem.

The pictures of his place looks like he's got a lot of what I'd call small trees that if he got enough cut to allow them to dry w/o splitting would be a real back saver.
I use a Redmax G300T 28.5 cc saw for 75% of my cutting firewood. It weighs 8.5 pounds with a 14" bar. That weight and the top handle are as easy on my back as I can expect. I only burn about 2 cords per year on a long term average here in California so it works great. I save the 61cc EA6100 Makita with a 28" bar for when I get lucky and get access to bigger trees. Lots of ways to handle his problem.
The only place I use top handles are in tree and when "bucking" smaller branches one handed, but don't tell anyone lol. I guys have used them for a bit of cutting when I've ran another saw out of mix and my top handle still has fuel in it, but I prefer my rear handle saws when cutting on the ground.
Many times I run the 70s and the 50s, then I get a bit tired and pull out the 200 or 201 just to keep moving, then jump back to a 50 to finish up for the day.

I had a bad back for years and tried all sorts of treatments to no avail. Eventually I learned it was caused by sitting too much (desk job) and the muscle imbalances that causes. I then fixed it myself by stretching some muscles (mainly psoas), strengthening others. Your situation is probably a very different animal and sounds a lot more serious than mine was, given mine was (mostly) reversible and your issues may be permanent, however I was in a bad way myself at times but was able to fix that, so what I'm trying to say is... exercising your core and glutes (if you don't already) may improve things for you.

I believe most lower back (and knee, ankle) pain is due to muscles in our hip area not doing their job properly; the back is just trying (and failing) to do the job instead. My knee and ankle problems also disappeared when I addressed the hip/back issue.

Sorry I have to have this rant whenever anyone mentions a bad back.

I had a bad back for years and tried all sorts of treatments to no avail. Eventually I learned it was caused by sitting too much (desk job) and the muscle imbalances that causes. I then fixed it myself by stretching some muscles (mainly psoas), strengthening others. Your situation is probably a very different animal and sounds a lot more serious than mine was, given mine was (mostly) reversible and your issues may be permanent, however I was in a bad way myself at times but was able to fix that, so what I'm trying to say is... exercising your core and glutes (if you don't already) may improve things for you.

I believe most lower back (and knee, ankle) pain is due to muscles in our hip area not doing their job properly; the back is just trying (and failing) to do the job instead. My knee and ankle problems also disappeared when I addressed the hip/back issue.

Sorry I have to have this rant whenever anyone mentions a bad back.
Yes, most people with bad backs are like me, slightly overweight, slightly lazy about exercise. People think that they have slipped a disc meaning a physio can just slip it back into place but I think what really happens is that your disc pinches a nerve which becomes inflamed and the only cure is rest
But I have found that the best way to prevent it is to strengthen the muscles in the lower back with some sort of abs trainer. I do 30 cycles each morning which is enough for me not to experience the kind of terrible back pains I had in my 20s and 30s
So Syncop you are right to have a rant!

Another one for you bad backers with a workshop

I saw lots of movements that would be painful. Again, it would be easier to buck it there and take your fabricating skills and apply them to making a trailer to hall the rounds out to a splitter.

I saw lots of movements that would be painful. Again, it would be easier to buck it there and take your fabricating skills and apply them to making a trailer to hall the rounds out to a splitter.
I agree with all the extra movements. All the extra positioning of things, a trip to the other side of the log frequently cause your bar is to short to cut through from 1 side looks tiring and painful to a lame back. I use the longer bars for an extension of my body so I don't have to bend things in my body that make for pain. If I need to reach high up then it's time to switch to a lighter differently balanced saw likely with a shorter bar. If it isn't gonna be fairly quick and easy to move the wood before cutting or necessary cause of footing, standing straight up with a 24inch bar 15 lb little less or more saw will do most the cutting with very little back bending or extending your arms with the saw that does put more of a strain on your back. And noodle rounds to large to easily move or load to your next step. The right chainsaw for the particular task I find is the easiest and most enjoyable part of woodcutting. And easier on your back then horsing around with a lot of other stuff.

I agree with all the extra movements. All the extra positioning of things, a trip to the other side of the log frequently cause your bar is to short to cut through from 1 side looks tiring and painful to a lame back. I use the longer bars for an extension of my body so I don't have to bend things in my body that make for pain. If I need to reach high up then it's time to switch to a lighter differently balanced saw likely with a shorter bar. If it isn't gonna be fairly quick and easy to move the wood before cutting or necessary cause of footing, standing straight up with a 24inch bar 15 lb little less or more saw will do most the cutting with very little back bending or extending your arms with the saw that does put more of a strain on your back. And noodle rounds to large to easily move or load to your next step. The right chainsaw for the particular task I find is the easiest and most enjoyable part of woodcutting. And easier on your back then horsing around with a lot of other stuff.
Fair points about the video when you are in a particularly bad way with your back. When I used to be in that condition it was only an ibuprofen and rest that was the answer for me and I generally never take any pills as I need to know what is going on. My exercise back strengthening has certainly worked, as it has for the guy in this video. So a lot of it is about managing your work as a cure is probably not possible.
When I was younger I used to play a lot of league hockey, sometimes with a bad back, but during the game and being in loads of different twisting positions and high strength tackles, I never had any back pain I believe because my whole body was warmed up. But after the bar and the car journey home, trying to get out of bed the next morning was another thing!

Attachments

• 1644476426359.png
    1644476426359.png
    321.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 1644476828843.png
    1644476828843.png
    321.7 KB · Views: 5
Fair points about the video when you are in a particularly bad way with your back. When I used to be in that condition it was only an ibuprofen and rest that was the answer for me and I generally never take any pills as I need to know what is going on. My exercise back strengthening has certainly worked, as it has for the guy in this video. So a lot of it is about managing your work as a cure is probably not possible.
When I was younger I used to play a lot of league hockey, sometimes with a bad back, but during the game and being in loads of different twisting positions and high strength tackles, I never had any back pain I believe because my whole body was warmed up. But after the bar and the car journey home, trying to get out of bed the next morning was another thing!

I also do a four mile bike ride each morning before work, so my system is warm. Couple of steep hills for the cardio but biking is gentle on the back as opposed to the jolts you get from jogging.

Back