Firewood equipment and budgeting money for it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I can't argue with the "buy quality once & buy the right tool" concepts, I have to take issue with the OP. Heating with wood is a lifestyle, & I'm pretty sure it's also an economic decision (or necessity) for a fair number of AS members.

If you have the cash, (or the credit line) for new Gators, etc. & spending the money makes sense to you--- then enjoy your toys.

BUT, to suggest that anybody who builds their own splitter or "makes do" with equipment they already own has flawed thinking???

I have very little invested in my firewood equipment, but have managed to put 40 cords out back in the last year, in my spare time.

Some of us know how to scrounge--- whether it's free wood, a saw, a splitter, or whatever... & we can fix it or modify it to suit our needs... don't knock "our thing" just because it's not "your thing".

Steve is right. You can't buy some of the equipment I have, not the same anyway. I'm sure lots of guys here have custom equipment that they made to suit their purpose. It would be crazy to buy everything I have new, there is just no way you would ever break even let alone save any money.
I have figured that the cheapest way for me to heat my house is to have ash logs delivered to my house, cut the rounds with my Stihl 170 and split with my TSC Speeco 28 ton splitter and wheelbarrow to my basement. This would be the also be the smartest way to do it, of course this isn't the way I choose to do it. I have 12 saws, a Kubota L35, 8 different buckets, 20 trailers, 4 wood splitters, hay conveyor for splits, Flatbed dump truck, etc. To me this is the bare minimum you need for home use, if you are selling you might need more equipment. As for my wife's opinion, she thinks I might be a little overboard but at least it keeps me out of her hair.
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/153256.htm

Steve is right. You can't buy some of the equipment I have, not the same anyway. I'm sure lots of guys here have custom equipment that they made to suit their purpose. It would be crazy to buy everything I have new, there is just no way you would ever break even let alone save any money.
I have figured that the cheapest way for me to heat my house is to have ash logs delivered to my house, cut the rounds with my Stihl 170 and split with my TSC Speeco 28 ton splitter and wheelbarrow to my basement. This would be the also be the smartest way to do it, of course this isn't the way I choose to do it. I have 12 saws, a Kubota L35, 8 different buckets, 20 trailers, 4 wood splitters, hay conveyor for splits, Flatbed dump truck, etc. To me this is the bare minimum you need for home use, if you are selling you might need more equipment. As for my wife's opinion, she thinks I might be a little overboard but at least it keeps me out of her hair.
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/153256.htm

I see you mention just one L35, and what if it gets stuck?? maybe time to get another one:rock:

Gavman, if the L35 gets stuck I use my son's truck or his gf's tahoe. I've actually never had the 35 in the bush, we pull everything with my brother in law's tractors, he's worse than me. He has 3 Kubotas and 2 forklifts and 5 trucks that are 4 wd. And we each have Steiners to play with.
245375d1342567102-truckhill2-jpg

245376d1342567103-tahoe2-jpg

While I can't argue with the "buy quality once & buy the right tool" concepts, I have to take issue with the OP. Heating with wood is a lifestyle, & I'm pretty sure it's also an economic decision (or necessity) for a fair number of AS members.

If you have the cash, (or the credit line) for new Gators, etc. & spending the money makes sense to you--- then enjoy your toys.

BUT, to suggest that anybody who builds their own splitter or "makes do" with equipment they already own has flawed thinking???

I have very little invested in my firewood equipment, but have managed to put 40 cords out back in the last year, in my spare time.

Some of us know how to scrounge--- whether it's free wood, a saw, a splitter, or whatever... & we can fix it or modify it to suit our needs... don't knock "our thing" just because it's not "your thing".
I gotta agree. I simply cannot spend more money on fancy equipment now - there are too many other demands on funds that are simply much, much more important to us.

We spent about $5k having the chimney repaired & lined, $775 on the main stove and about $2k on the pretty little one upstairs. That was over a period of several years. My saws are cheap homeowner junk - but they all run like tops, are reliable and cut lots of wood. And I have enough spare parts to keep them going (and thanks to AS, now I have the knowledge). My splitters all have handles for swinging. The Kioti we got in 2003 and it has many other uses too, but most wood gets hauled with a 12hp Wheel Horse and a cart, or a wheel barrow.

Part of the reason I heat with wood is to save money, part of it is because of my concerns about fossil fuels and the future of the world economy. Given that viewpoint it makes no sense for me to buy a lot of equipment when I don't think I will be able to afford to keep it or fuel it, and expect parts availability to be a major issue. My goal is to be able to keep the hearth warm even if things go where I expect them to, using lower complexity tools and knowledge and muscle.

tools

Another thing to remember is that they all don't build stuff like they used to. Rigid used to have a very very good name, the last few things I have bought will be the last rigids I ever buy unless they are old and used. Cub Cadet, and now Dewalt, makita, milwalkee and many more are getting cheaper and cheaper made. Some do have good lines but they have to lower quality to compete.

Boy that comment about Rigid stuff is a shock .I have a couple of old Rigid pipe tongs and they are fine. Over here there is a couple of grades of dewalt. Handyman grade and professional. the price is reflected in the quality, and the same applys to the japanese brands,
There seems to be a lot of new brands around. I,m used to the old stuff, snapon, stahlwillle, britool, old stanley was good Sidcrome. This stuff seems to have dropped off the radar. Shame really because it was quality and had a good name

half, some of the ridgid stuff is still made in the US, however a lot is made elsewhere. We've had this discussion here before but Ryobi and Ridgid are made by the same company and I think Milwalkee is tied to them now too. Don't quote me though , google it for some facts.

I am a make do kinda guy.
After some really bad storms the saw shop had a big sale on saws. Picked up a ms361 brand new for $450.

Helped a friend haul off 2 old buck inserts. I actually took them home. Completely rebuilt the 28000, and use it for heat in my home. Cost of rebuild $250

Reline chenmy with 304 stainless, $500. Did it myself.

Rebuilt the other insert. $250 for parts, sold for $500

My dad has and old stihl 026 that I use a lot too.

I did build 4 firewood racks out of scrap 3/4" pipe. Free

I am currently 3/4's the way finished with my new log splitter. My dad and I split the bill. Cost about $500 each.

I use my atvs for hauling wood. And the old dodge too.

Hope future purchase is a small honda generator to run the blower when the power is out. $1000??

I got some money tied up in my tools. Not as much as others though. I still love that crackleing fire. It keeps the house so warm! Burning firewood may be a lifestyle. But it is my way of life! Wouldnt have it any other way!

25 buck yard sale woodstove. Relined it with new stove pipe, cut to fit (cast top and bottom and doors, sheet metal sides). Paid for itself within a week I guess.

Saws..different story. so far I am just buying and accumulating, eventually a lot of them will be forsale, but that's a couple few years down the road still. Not selling wood yet but might soon, I have so much now stacked up.

Use the boss's tractor to get wood out, bought a chevy pickup ($550 and my old van in swap) for eventual wood sales delivery and backup get the wood out. Have a military trailer that needs some work to be road worthy and registerable, but got that freebie.

I really don't have that much cash tied up in wood, something over a thousand bucks now total..I guess with two new to me saws coming in a week or so (just went nuts lately, wanted a big saw, got two) I'll be into it for around $1500 total. That's a lotta saws though, dozens now. Eventual "shop stock".

Best deal bar none for wood, Fiskars supersplitter @50 clams. I DO NOT MISS swinging ye aulde anvyle on a stick..nope. Second best deal, poulan 245a mixed in with the cheap poulans at a pawn shop...for the same price as those...got it running right out at my truck in the parking lot....old american tool built *right*.

You make an excellent point here Zogger, something of high quality doesn't have to have a high price.There are good deals out there if you look hard enough.I've got less $ tied up in a dozen or so good chainsaws than I could buy 1 brand new larger pro saw for.

I am a make do kinda guy.
After some really bad storms the saw shop had a big sale on saws. Picked up a ms361 brand new for $450.

Helped a friend haul off 2 old buck inserts. I actually took them home. Completely rebuilt the 28000, and use it for heat in my home. Cost of rebuild $250

Reline chenmy with 304 stainless, $500. Did it myself.

Rebuilt the other insert. $250 for parts, sold for $500

My dad has and old stihl 026 that I use a lot too.

I did build 4 firewood racks out of scrap 3/4" pipe. Free

I am currently 3/4's the way finished with my new log splitter. My dad and I split the bill. Cost about $500 each.

I use my atvs for hauling wood. And the old dodge too.

Hope future purchase is a small honda generator to run the blower when the power is out. $1000??

I got some money tied up in my tools. Not as much as others though. I still love that crackleing fire. It keeps the house so warm! Burning firewood may be a lifestyle. But it is my way of life! Wouldnt have it any other way!

Now if they would only come out with a wood burning a/c unit!

True, good points. If you make do with equipment, or build your own for whatever reason, I'm not saying that you have flawed thinking assuming the equipment does the job correctly and efficiently.

Case in point, here's the story of a friend and co-worker.

He got his house in about 2006 or so, and it had a chimney ready for a wood burner but no wood burner. He found a cheap one on CL and picked it up. The sides and door were (are) warped, so no chance of a good seal or long burns. The blower was long since gone, he built some ductwork and just used a box fan as a pusher. For probably 5 or 6 years he used this, all the while looking for a good deal on a better one. The entire time he was looking for the 'deal' he was burning fuel oil, as the fire wouldn't stay lit enough to heat while he was at work or sleeping. Eventually he found one, and now has a good working Hotblast, the kind Tractor Supply sells. Not the best brand or model, but it does the job. My point to him, which he realized eventually, is that the money he spent on fuel oil during the time he was looking for a 'deal' could have easily paid for just about any wood furnace he wanted.

Lets talk also about the house I moved into, and the way my Great-Aunt and Great-uncles heated it. There is an old potbelly stove downstairs. I use it occasionally still, and will admit that it does a good job heating the room that it's in. However, it must be fed at a minimum every 2 hours. For the most even burn I feed it every 45 minutes or so. My Great-Aunt was 'married' to that stove, and earlier my Great-Grandmother. All day in the winter you have to throw a few small logs on every hour or so. All logs must be cut to about a 10" length, and split to fit in an 8" square door. The time and effort to keep that thing running easily could have been put into a bigger more efficient unit, which would have meant less overall work and better heat output. Less work because the logs could have been bigger, meaning less cutting and splitting. Better heat because a better unit would have been more airtight and easy to regulate, rather than the heat just going up the chimney.

My point being, if you have a set-up that works for you and keeps you warm, by all means keep doing what you are doing. My point is the people that fight junk or obsolete equipment in the name of saving money. There comes a point where you will be much better off spending the money and time to have the newer stuff. Even if you think you don't have the money, or can't afford it, you probably can.

I'm not saying everyone needs to go out and buy a brand new gator like I did. I could have got by quite well without that. The reason the gator made sense for me is because I travel a lot for work, and my girlfriend sometimes has to do everything while I'm gone. Occasionally I'm gone for a month or two at a time. When I'm away she needs to be able to get wood from the pile to the house, and when I'm home sometimes I'm in a hurry and know I'll be leaving again very soon. Two years ago I was gone for a 2 1/2 month stretch. I had the wood cut and ready, and my dad came down about once a week and hauled it close to the house for her. I'm thankful that he was able to do it, but I can't always rely on that and don't want to put her in that situation if I can help it.

Sorry for the long post.

Now if they would only come out with a wood burning a/c unit!

Oh now I would be all over that!

But...one of my friends works for a company that makes dry ice. He made a little a/c unit that hangs in the window that has a small blower in it. He puts dry ice in some kinda tray that cools some water that runs through copper tubing. There is a little radiator of sorts that the cold water curculates through. The blower blows through the radiator and out of the box and into the room. It works pretty good for a couple hours, then the dry ice is all gone and the water warms up. He has it in his shop window. Pretty cool set up, the dry ice vapors are is kept seperate from the "room air", and discharged outside. Next time I am over that way I will take some pictures of his set up.

I'm somewhere in the middle on this. Some tools I buy as disposable/light duty, and some I buy so that I can beat the tar out of them and keep right on useing them. Just depends on the use. Some stuff I'm willing to go cheap on. If I have to buy a new engine for my old didier splitter, it will be a $100 HF special. If it's something that I NEED to function, then I'd rather pay good money for a good reliable USED tool, than pay that same money for the same tool new and cheap. I've done that with a lot of my firwood stuff. Saws were all bought used in good shape at a fraction of the new price. 1980s Wood furnace was bought for $400. Had to put a new blower on it. Paid for a new stainless liner for the chimney. My ATV is a 2003 Yamaha bigbear 400 4x4 that I picked up for $2300. Didn't buy that for firewood, but it has sense been converted over. My heating bill is only about $700 a year, and as a whole burning wood is just now paying for all of my investment. The stove will have to be replaced in 4 or 5 more years, but by then I will have saved enough to pay for that also. On my budget, I have to be a little more cost concious with my money. If the heating bill were well over $1,000 a year, that would change a few things. I'd have a super split and a new stove :) As it is, I can make what I have work pretty good.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

With the ever rising cost of fossil fuels (and we haven't seen the worst of it, my friends), investment in pro grade equipment for cutting, splitting and burning your own firewood will pay for itself rather quickly.

It's the old adage - buy once, cry once. I prefer to invest in one $600.00 saw than six $99.00 saws.

Sure, it's a serious decision and an expensive one. But anything worth doing is worth doing right. The ROI is savings on heating costs. If you're forever spending on inferior equipment, you defeat the purpose.

Before we started burning wood we faced $800.00 propane bills every season and $400.00+ electricity bills every month during winter. To make a long story short, we banked over $3,000.00 last winter from burning firewood. The saw, stove, chimney and other assorted accoutrements will ROI by the end of this winter coming. We've already got the wood laid in for that and the equipment is good for many years of cutting and splitting to come.

Back