Firewood price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than half of my customers do not want to touch the wood as they want it stacked nice and pretty. I pretty much do not deal with clients that ask about price. Most people are not concerned about prices. What I am seeing around the country amazes me. People delivering nice wood for under cost. At this moment premium Oak is going to exceed a thousand bucks. I have already delivered several loads of Pine at more than four hundred dollars a load and it is not even cold. However if an OP in this area were to hire all work done with insurance including Workman's Comp the price would be fifteen hundred a cord. Last year with snow on the ground I was getting forty calls a day for delivery. Most of those people just went to CL or some one that knew some one with a pickup to buy what ever that had in their back yard. Thanks
I think several here including myself are amazed at your wood prices. $1000-$1500 a cord!? I’ll just turn the heat up. That’s absolutely insane. Seasoned oak here in the middle of winter might fetch $300.

I think several here including myself are amazed at your wood prices. $1000-$1500 a cord!? I’ll just turn the heat up. That’s absolutely insane. Seasoned oak here in the middle of winter might fetch $300.
My most popular delivery is 1/2 cords and this does not appear that is because of money it is just what people feel they can manage. One guy got four deliveries at $325 this past winter and wanted more. Three years ago a guy called from the city below our mountain where wood is often half of what it is in the mountains. He wanted genuine Oak so he kept calling. He said he was looking for some Oak cheaper than he could find twenty miles away from where I live. The best price he could find was $800 and would I give him a discount. I told him that was a pretty good deal because I would charge him $200 for delivery and yes he got mad. Since I have no trouble selling wood right now for $650 with the temps hitting close to a 100 and 120 F in the valley $900 seems very likely by September or October. Thanks

I do not think your realize that Southern California mountains are a very unique situation. Yes there are other tourists areas that have dramatic effects on the local economy. So that can be the same here. About ten years ago we started seeing a huge AIR B&B increase although there have always been plenty of weekend rental homes available but several percent higher every year is dramatic. The people who come to the mountains with their family for a vacation or a few day get away want a pleasant experience with cost not being a factor. So a family coming to the mountains for a week would not think twice about spending five hundred bucks for a nice warm fire that the kids enjoy very much. So with supplies scarce demand high what else would one expect. Thanks

I don’t understand anything about comiefornia, it’s all insane.
$1500. It would cost me $4500 to keep my house over the winter time. I get roughly 2 cords of wood delivered to my house for 50 bucks,then split and stack. Maybe spend 150 a year. I know it’s a different market but dang. In California, I can probably ship it there sell it and I can still make money.

$1500. It would cost me $4500 to keep my house over the winter time. I get roughly 2 cords of wood delivered to my house for 50 bucks,then split and stack. Maybe spend 150 a year. I know it’s a different market but dang. In California, I can probably ship it there sell it and I can still make money.
I’ve actually said that to him before. Load a semi up and pay 4 bucks a mile and still make a profit. I don’t care what the market is, those figures are nuts and people are stupid.

Two things come to mind about Commiefornia. People do not care about money and people do not heat with firewood. A year or two ago a company bought about 40 acres that had not been developed. They built about 40 small cottages on the property with no electricity or heat. The plan was it would be a real get away with out phone or modern appliances. I have not checked lately to see how well they are doing so do not know. They had asked if I could supply them about 15 cords a week. However they really did not like my prices so move on. I have received several calls from the development really begging for wood. Yes seems a little insane to me too. I would probably lie if I told any body that 10 % of the people heat with wood. I can only think of maybe 20 to 25 people actually heat with wood. I am different as my stove is going 24 7. Thanks

Firewood is like many things where people think the only people doing the work are poor and will work for almost nothing. It seems it's a triad that is not subject to inflation. Every other commodity is going up but people still insist that the firewood triad stay at the poverty level. As if the work is easy and has no overhead. I never feel bad for the people that can afford to pay insist on trying to bargain and low ball you on your price and role up in a 70K truck and then claim they can't afford my price. There asses can freeze for all I care. My time and labor is worth just as much as most any other blue color triad.

Firewood is like many things where people think the only people doing the work are poor and will work for almost nothing. It seems it's a triad that is not subject to inflation. Every other commodity is going up but people still insist that the firewood triad stay at the poverty level. As if the work is easy and has no overhead. I never feel bad for the people that can afford to pay insist on trying to bargain and low ball you on your price and role up in a 70K truck and then claim they can't afford my price. There asses can freeze for all I care. My time and labor is worth just as much as most any other blue color triad.
Oh my what a coincidence as people are exactly like that here. How about those who are living in a several million dollar beach front property thinking for sure they can find wood cheaper NOT. It always comes back when there is snow on the ground. I have been logging all calls recording numbers to save mega time. I first enter their number which shows me if they have called before with address and what they are burning it in. If there rating is too low I tell them all sold out or do not have time or. SB I go through that argument so often and it seems to come up so so often. A guy calls the other day and wants me to cut specific stove wood size and split his specifics so I suggest about a grand. He asks why so expensive when he can get other hardwoods cheaper. I tell him go ahead get and then he starts yelling at me, yes it is kinda fun some times. Thanks

Oh my what a coincidence as people are exactly like that here. How about those who are living in a several million dollar beach front property thinking for sure they can find wood cheaper NOT. It always comes back when there is snow on the ground. I have been logging all calls recording numbers to save mega time. I first enter their number which shows me if they have called before with address and what they are burning it in. If there rating is too low I tell them all sold out or do not have time or. SB I go through that argument so often and it seems to come up so so often. A guy calls the other day and wants me to cut specific stove wood size and split his specifics so I suggest about a grand. He asks why so expensive when he can get other hardwoods cheaper. I tell him go ahead get and then he starts yelling at me, yes it is kinda fun some times. Thanks
I don't mind when someone ask once for a better price. What I do mind is when they keep asking as if I'm gonna change my mind if they keep hounding me. When I shop, I sometimes ask is that your best price once and then drop it. If they ask me more then once my price starts going up not down. Every year I get several people say they will buy every cord I have if I sell at half price. I sell out every year at full price, so why would I want to shoot myself in the foot by selling everything at half price. They try and say you'll get paid now and I say true but I'll make twice as much if take my time.
They want me to do all the work so they can swoop in and buy it up then turn around and resell it for twice as much. My wood lot would be empty so I would loose all my regulars and my competition would have wood in stock. Nope! not gonna happen.

As to the original poster, he should really give you the wood for so cheap it isn't funny. He had his trees cut down. Therefore he paid someone to cut them down. He didn't want to pay to get rid of them so he already saved money on the deal if you take it away for free. If you dont need the wood, I would tell him, you dont need any more and he can give it to someone else. There is a very good chance it will sit in back of his shed and rot. I see so many rotten wood piles it is actually sad. Everyone wants wood till it comes time to split and stack. Make it look like you did him a favor,, unless , you need the wood. Keep track of what labor is worth in your area and if it was a fair deal after $300 a cord , you will likely give him nothing but a bill for your labor. I learned this long ago that firewood is not worth anything . I get all the dead ash I need from a tree service. They load it on my trailer for free and I go home and cut it. It is 10" to 24" logs anywhere from 6' to 14' long though. They charge the customer to take it away and they haul it 20 miles to drop it off for free so they are glad to load it on my trailer right on the spot and I am glad to take it for a 12 pack of " pop" once in a while.

Another place I can get more wood for free. However, it is in Milwaukee and 36 mi. one way. However , I do drive through for work and can take my truck and trailer so last time it was only 12 mi. round trip extra. Not bad for clear straight hard wood that is dry enough to burn right where I cut it. It is Milwaukee however, and crime can be a problem. Last time I went the wife said. " Your taking your 9mm with you right?" I never did yet but I am running out of options cause I do hear gun shots sometimes. Sad huh?

I think many AS people have missed many of the points here. People do not care or are concerned with money. I just had a customer respond to an Email that I sent out yesterday. I told him that under current conditions that he would need to plan on a $100 per day to have a fire in the fireplace. He responded in a very negative way as he could not care less as to the cost but wanted a bright and warm fire going all the time. He then asked why I bothered him with details just make sure there is an ample amount of wood available for his family to enjoy. Most people in this area have great furnaces powered by natural gas but want a fire any way. For those that actually want heat are very few. Thanks

Back