Firewood Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm guessing this has already been beat to death. I didn't do a search, yet. (Cart/horse?). I was out walking in my neighbors back woodlot (2-3?) acres and noticed he had been ringing all of the hedge trees on his property. He must only have a small saw (narrow kerf) because only the small 6" trees were cut down. All the bigger ones were left standing.
There's probably 10 of my 5x8 trailer loads out there and before I go through all of the logistics of getting to it, I could use your input. What would be a reasonable price to sell hedge firewood for? I remember there was a post here once before about that. My 5x8 trailer full (not heaping) will fill a full size 6' truck bed heaping full with out side boards. I was thinking maybe $120 a load in the St. Louis area? Too much? I don't need any more hedge myself. I have enough. And the wood is across a creek and there's no access from the driveway. I'd have to get permission from the land developer who's developing the farm land from the rear of my neighbors property. He could just say no and the deal would be off.

I can't offer any opinion on firewood prices in the St Louis area. And, I'll declare that suggesting a price for an imprecise "load" in any pick-up or trailer is not going to be very accurate. But, I will offer some comments from here in PA. Hedge is not abundant, and more precisely, is not a well known firewood among consumers. So, while it is easy to describe oak, even hickory here, and get top dollar for it. It is less easy to sell maple, locust, and other of the hardwoods. Here, hedge would not sell itself, so you would have to convince potential buyers it is a good firewood. Here a 6' pick-up stacked carefully will probably hold a half cord, and $120 is a reasonable price when sold on site for the consumer to pick it up in their own pick-up. So, bottom line, I would not cross a creek, or beg access through a developer's lot to get access to 5 cord of hedge for me to saw, load, haul, split, and stack. I know this is an apple to orange comparison for your area. So, if you enjoy working in the woods, cutting, hauling, splitting, and stacking, go for it.

I can't speak to the St Louis area either. I would look on face book and Craig's list to find your current prices on hedge. There's a fair amount of it in Mo and KS. I burn about 10-15 cord a year of mostly hedge and locust. Years ago when I sold wood most of my customers weren't set up to burn hedge sold some but mostly ash locust mulberry mixed loads. Sold a few full cords of hedge to some serious wood burners that had there own wood and would mix it in for over night burns. Usually got twenty bucks more a cord for a straight load of hedge. I either blessed or cursed and have a farm with a lot of hedge to be cut and burned. It works great in my Garn.

Latest posts

Back