Firewood Pro Sizer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to write to the company that makes and sells these. Question is can I buy multiple mounts and just one laser?

/*** Edit ***/

I wrote to Bob. Now to wait and see what the answer is....

You need to estimate 90 degrees the shorter the bar the more the error. Looks like body positioning would be a consideration which could have other unintended results. Punishment for sloppy sizeing

Yes, that is correct. Currently I use an inverted spray can and a cut to length stick to mark all my cuts before I start bucking. My cuts are within 1/2 an inch or so. This ProSizer looks to be faster, more accurate, and I won't finish up the day with paint spots on my clothes.

My saw has an 18" bar that I use to measure 16" to 18" lengths. That's usually accurate enough for me. I just wish that tree service companies would do the same. Almost every log they give me is cut way too short. It's as if they have never seen or burned a log in a fireplace. They also cut the logs at odd-ball angles and leave stubs sticking out all over the place. So, it's always "don't measure and cut two or three times."

My saw has an 18" bar that I use to measure 16" to 18" lengths. That's usually accurate enough for me. I just wish that tree service companies would do the same. Almost every log they give me is cut way too short. It's as if they have never seen or burned a log in a fireplace. They also cut the logs at odd-ball angles and leave stubs sticking out all over the place. So, it's always "don't measure and cut two or three times."
I use to do that also. Swinging the saw and its bar around for each cut gets exhausting.

That was fast. Bob says that the mounts are available separately and sell for $35 each. He does recommend buying lasers with the mounts for convenience, and offered a 15% discount if I buy 3 of them, lasers plus mounts.

I got a guy coming buy later today, to purchase a riding mower. Will see....

Which way do you work branches to roots or root to branches? It is preferable to be uphill of the log or felled tree. The whole thing could likely be a replacement handle if a heated handle model electricity was used. Just a couple of carb adjustment like screws and a peep hole for the light.

. Currently I use an inverted spray can and a cut to length stick to mark all my cuts before I start bucking. My cuts are within 1/2 an inch or so. This ProSizer looks to be faster, more accurate, and I won't finish up the day with paint spots on my clothes.
Probably not more accurate would fit a use case for a battery saw to mark out with.

Most cut small specially on large diameter rounds . Reason being they have to move and in most cases stack the wood if the homeowner wants it. Also the tree companies here cant just leave large pieces on the shoulder area due to liability or in the culvert causing an obstruction of water flow.

Most cut small specially on large diameter rounds . Reason being they have to move and in most cases stack the wood if the homeowner wants it. Also the tree companies here cant just leave large pieces on the shoulder area due to liability or in the culvert causing an obstruction of water flow.
Actually the excuse I got for them cutting Roman chariot wheels is that the short round logs are easier to throw onto their collection truck because then they don't weigh so much. They could care less about firewood because they are use to hauling it all to a recycling center and paying a fee to drop it off. That fee is built into the cost estimate that the customer pays for the tree removal.

I'm thinking it could get bumped by a log and move out of adjustment.
I can also assure you that based on how many of the tree removal companies treat their chainsaws that this very nice gadget would hardly last a week. Wolfie and I have seen about every broken saw that you can imagine coming in from them. They even throw their saws onto their trucks as if they were a log.

Actually the excuse I got for them cutting Roman chariot wheels is that the short round logs are easier to throw onto their collection truck because then they don't weigh so much. They could care less about firewood because they are use to hauling it all to a recycling center and paying a fee to drop it off. That fee is built into the cost estimate that the customer pays for the tree removal.
Same difference easier to move around .

Same difference easier to move around .
Perhaps I made a huge mistake one day when talking to a tree service sawyer. I told him when you double the diameter of a log, the weight quadruples (increases 4 times as much). After that, he started cutting everything too short -- 6" long chariot wheels up to 30" dia.-- wasting wood like a bandit. I guess he didn't care that he was doubling or tripling his cutting time and the wear and tear on his sawing equipment.

Back