First attempt at carving. Some spoons!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bally1020

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sawed blanks with small old hand saw. Mostly used a knife. Cheated and dremelled most the bowls out. Finished with metal files and sandpaper. One ( or two!) from manzanita. Note the spoon bowl is made from the eye on the branch. Another from approx 100 year old doug fir grown in total shade on a steep bank. It got hit over by another tree and then cut out the road by forestry ppl so i harvested a load of it. Rings so tight you cant see them with the naked eye! Same wood on spatula head! cyeck pattern . And the really curvy looking spoon was from junky palletwood. I like how the rings ended up as circles in the spoon. I dont know how ppl can do these things in a couple hours it takes me mannnnyyy hours!!IMG_20191122_030827.jpgIMG_20191129_145506.jpgIMG_20191129_145348.jpgIMG_20191129_145617.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_221437.jpg
    IMG_20191107_221437.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 5
I always wondered how you spell that word. :)
Well thanks. On a whim I thought i would start posting some things i do in my lonely world!
Now I look at that picture again and realize that I had gone back and kind of finalized those spoons, oiled them with mineral oil, fine sandpaper, used a magnifying glass to get the edges all fine tuned. The bottom one looks really rough to me now ! haha, I guess I am a perfectionist, and that final stage is the most painful, nothing is ever finished, know what I mean? I made a manzanita pipe and two other spoons for my old friend for christmas. He got them last month I think! Too painful is that last bit! See the two balls (the stand) on the underside of the tobacco pipe? They were sticking out the side of the branch.
That pipe took me three attempts. The first two I drilled the hole first, and ruined the choice piece of wood. So the third time, i carved the whole thing, and then drilled the hole carefully down the middle to the bowl!!! That was hairy. Well thanks for lookin. Nice to be able to show someone what I spent an embarrasingly long time making LOL! Picture 90.jpgPicture 144.jpgPicture 148.jpgPicture 151.jpgPicture 172.jpg

Hahha well thanks very much/ That is the first round of any carving I ever did. Most were christmas presents.
I was there thinking i was cursed with a perfectionists gene selection rather than having the knack. They took me since before christmas.
I finished with some 2000 grit sandpaper. you should feel how smooth things came out with the oil as well.
ANyway thanks so much. I will post more sometime.
Are you much of a carver?

Not at all. I do find it intriguing though. It's probably therapeutic. Good for the hands and the mind.

where's that upside-down @Spoon Carving With Tom guy? I thought he would show up...
Here I am :) I feel like a genie who’s lamp has been rubbed!

I only tend to come on here for the chainsaw forum.

lovely work there mate :) I’m carving live on YouTube later so if you’re interested, I welcome you to join! Search YouTube for the same name as here, hit the sub and bell notification (not a plug for my channel, it’s just that you’ll get notified when I go live so you don’t miss it!)

happy carving!

Sawed blanks with small old hand saw. Mostly used a knife. Cheated and dremelled most the bowls out. Finished with metal files and sandpaper. One ( or two!) from manzanita. Note the spoon bowl is made from the eye on the branch. Another from approx 100 year old doug fir grown in total shade on a steep bank. It got hit over by another tree and then cut out the road by forestry ppl so i harvested a load of it. Rings so tight you cant see them with the naked eye! Same wood on spatula head! cyeck pattern . And the really curvy looking spoon was from junky palletwood. I like how the rings ended up as circles in the spoon. I dont know how ppl can do these things in a couple hours it takes me mannnnyyy hours!!View attachment 833988View attachment 833985View attachment 833986View attachment 833987
Nice work.
What species of wood was the pallet?
I took a few home from work that were White Oak to make small shelves and cabinets with.
I like carving but haven't done much in my adult life.
Used to carve and whittle as a kid.
I do some sculpture out of clay.
I thought it interesting about carving spoons though.
Got me thinking of the old days when much of our utensils were wooden.
Mom always had nice wooden spoons that Dad bought her and every once in while we even felt a smack from one or two when we misbehaved..
She had her favorites for this.
Feeling nostalgic.

Sawed blanks with small old hand saw. Mostly used a knife. Cheated and dremelled most the bowls out. Finished with metal files and sandpaper. One ( or two!) from manzanita. Note the spoon bowl is made from the eye on the branch. Another from approx 100 year old doug fir grown in total shade on a steep bank. It got hit over by another tree and then cut out the road by forestry ppl so i harvested a load of it. Rings so tight you cant see them with the naked eye! Same wood on spatula head! cyeck pattern . And the really curvy looking spoon was from junky palletwood. I like how the rings ended up as circles in the spoon. I dont know how ppl can do these things in a couple hours it takes me mannnnyyy hours!!View attachment 833988View attachment 833985View attachment 833986View attachment 833987
Nice work mate.. rasp and spokeshaves are good to use

Back