First chainsaw, Makita EA6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarvelousChester

Reaction score
The dealer gave me a short lesson when I bought it and I have the manual but yesterday I flooded it trying to get it started and felt like I was gonna fall out trying to get it running... The manual says "Prime the fuel pump by pressing it several times until you can see fuel in the pump" , well, I see fuel in the pump (bulb I think?) before I even prime it, so does it need more priming if fuel is already in the bulb? I had to watch a video on how to "unflood" a chainsaw and followed the steps, and it quickly started up and had no more issues, it started up with ease after that. Im gonna start it up today and before I go pushing on the bulb I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

The dealer gave me a short lesson when I bought it and I have the manual but yesterday I flooded it trying to get it started and felt like I was gonna fall out trying to get it running... The manual says "Prime the fuel pump by pressing it several times until you can see fuel in the pump" , well, I see fuel in the pump (bulb I think?) before I even prime it, so does it need more priming if fuel is already in the bulb? I had to watch a video on how to "unflood" a chainsaw and followed the steps, and it quickly started up and had no more issues, it started up with ease after that. Im gonna start it up today and before I go pushing on the bulb I figured I'd ask.
Thanks
You bought an excellent saw, for your first saw.
Keep it clean, run ethanol free fuel in it, don't skimp on the mix oil, and it will last decades of home and ranch use.

Each saw is different, but, with my Husky and multiple Stihls, I've never felt like I flooded the saw by priming it too much. If I flood a saw, it's usually because I thought the saw needed more choke than it did. And I'm quick to pull the spark plug to see if it's wet or dry. That's my story; ymmv. O

I love my Makita 520i. No primer, but I can flood it easily with 3 or more choke pulls on choke. It's a whale of a different carb than my Husqvarna saws that always seem to need several choke pulls when cold. Primer bulbs tend to give me the creeps (and lots of repairs).

All the primer does is pulls fuel through the carb and returns it to the tank. It doesn't add any fuel to the engine. If you flooded it you most likely pulled it over too many times fully choked.
I definitely did that! Then I pulled the plug, checked for spark, gap etc. You may of heard me way over hear in Jonesville lol

Back