First post- looking to get a beater 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense taken. I use Stihl file guides for each and I am fairly confident in each being sharp. I didn't word things that well but basically I find each plugs with chips. The 461 particularly. The 291 isn't great either. I'd like to try a Husky as I hear they are much better that way, and I'd like to get a pro level saw that gets through the wood a little quicker.
Best filtration in that category saw is neither stihl or husky but a jonsred, look for a 2259. Very simular to a husky 359 but better air system.

Thought I'd dredge up this old post to let people know how I did with my saw search.

I have a friend that was cleaning up a farm sale and he gave me an old Homelite. I didn't know anything about them. It looked pretty mint, a 16" hardnose bar and didn't run. I did some research and found out it was a XL75. I also found out they can make decent power and people are running 24" bars on their fraternal twin XL76. I gave it new fuel lines, filter, crank seals, a nice Oregon 24 bar, ⅜ full comp chain and I've been extremely pleased. Then he gave me another saw he had taken in some horse trading. A Husky 357XPG almost new. Has a 24" bar and .325 chain. Nice and smooth on the hands and quiet too but no balls compared to the Homelite. I wonder if it isn't broken in yet 😬 Then I picked up an XL76 for $100 and put a new coil, crank seals and tune up. Love that Homie 😍 Then I got a Super XL922 for $100 that needed work. Did a bunch of work on it and put a 32" Oregon bar, ⅜ skip chain and love that for the bigger stuff. A little slower than my one year old MS461 but not much! Now I have to deal with a fuel tank leak on it but I'm hooked on these old girls! Sure you're picking up good vibrations 🎸🎶 all day long but I still love them. The orange and creamsicle have been collecting dust 😆 I think I'm also becoming a chainsaw hoarder. Three Homies, a Husky, Stihl, an old IEL two man and soon my dad's McCulloch SP125C. IMG_20220301_172430342.jpgIMG_20220203_172411626.jpg

Back