First saw to port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
let me start by saying I have read a lot of articles and threads about porting, and I have watched a lot of videos on porting, and I'm feeling pretty confident. My dad was a timber filler and I remember he always ran saws that were modified by Madsens.

So, I use my saws for firewood and clearing land, and they get run a fair amount.

I have 5 saws to choose from. I actually have serval more, but I'm a Husqvarna man and want my first ported saw to be a husky.

Saw 1 is a stock model 51. I would do a big bore kit on it to convert it to a 55.

Saw 2&3 are 346XPs, one with a primer bulb and one without.

Saw 4 is a 460 rancher, shamefully my most used saw right now because I like the weight.

Saw 5 is a 372XP high top.

What one would you guys do first? I'm leaning towards the 51 or one of the 346's.

If you don’t have a lathe and a right angle grinder do the non primer 346 (it’s an original edition, smaller displacement). They respond very well to simple port widening and lowering the squish. No transfer or machine work necessary. The jug is also slightly less valuable, so less risky. That’s the first saw I did and it’s still screaming 5 years later.

If you don’t have a lathe and a right angle grinder do the non primer 346 (it’s an original edition, smaller displacement). They respond very well to simple port widening and lowering the squish. No transfer or machine work necessary. The jug is also slightly less valuable, so less risky. That’s the first saw I did and it’s still screaming 5 years later.
What exactly are you using an angle grinder for on a cylinder? Jw

Maybe “grinder” was a bad choice of word.

https://www.ccspecialtytoolstore.com/right-angle-rotary-hand-tool-for-porting-p/182amc.htm00FF336E-07AB-4E95-8744-7BFF94726E20.jpeg
They are hand pieces for a flexible shaft grinder that allow you to grind from the inside of the cylinder. They aren’t cheap but they’re about the only way to do a good job on the transfer uppers.

If you do a base cut on the cylinder it will lower the port timing significantly. To get back to good timing numbers you have to raise the exhaust and transfer uppers…and then you’ll want one of these.

Just removing the base gasket does not change port timing as much, so you don’t have to raise the port height. (No $400 dental tool required). You can widen the exhaust and intake (don’t grind the floor and roof) with a dremel tool or similar. I also blend the transfer lowers to match the case. It’s the budget approach but it makes a pretty mean 346.

You can raise upper Transfers with cutting Discs stacked on a dremel. Ive done this on a few saws.

I personaly would do the 372. It wake up nicely also is alittle bigger space to work in.

You could order a cheap big bore set and go to town grinding on that.

Grind it run it tear it down and grind some more. Getting a feel for what changes do what.

My first saw Was a 359 I ground the ports till it would no longer run.

You can raise upper Transfers with cutting Discs stacked on a dremel. Ive done this on a few saws.
Yep. It won’t be easy to get the angles right, but you can raise the opening to the right timing. A ball head carbide or diamond bit can also be used.
I personaly would do the 372. It wake up nicely also is alittle bigger space to work in.

You could order a cheap big bore set and go to town grinding on that.

Grind it run it tear it down and grind some more. Getting a feel for what changes do what.
Yep. You won’t learn unless you go for it.
My first saw Was a 359 I ground the ports till it would no longer run.
I’ve got a couple jugs in the cabinet like that.

I learned alot grinding on that 359. At the time I swore up and down 60cc saws were all id ever need and want. Turns out I was wrong

Heres what I use to grind. Its redkneck style.
20211126_220431.jpg20211126_221124.jpg
The Motor pictured is a ford 300 with chevy valves. Ive got 40 hours in that head not counting time at the machine Shop.

These tools work. For saws and all maybe not ideal but get it done

Take your pick. The 346 should be fun. I spent 3 days porting my husqvarna 350. A lot of that time was waiting for epoxy to dry. I used it to reshape several areas. I had a pile of aluminum when I got done. I didn't weigh it, but it was a substantial pile. The saw holds 12-13k with the bar buried in hardwood. Just amazing. I have built others, but never took them this far for price reasons. All of them are wood eaters, but mine is like a lightsaber.

Back