First set of big pibe slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve had this 36” granberg mk3 for several years and never had a lot of success with getting my saw dialed in. But had a tree company drop off some big logs so figured I’d give it another go instead of just making firewood. After a lot of fiddling with carb settings and a bit of a rebuild I was able to get one of the logs slabbed up. 2” slabs on about a 16” log a little over 4.5 feet long. Very green and wet ponderosa I believe. Stacked and stickered and I sealed the ends with anchorseal 2.

Any other steps I’m missing or suggestions? Really hope these dry flat. The other smaller stuff I’ve managed to do in the past has twisted pretty decently.

A5136D98-9424-4473-B2F6-EF8DED087570.jpeg
3EF93B6B-AAFB-4C95-9092-71367740ABE0.jpeg

I’ve had this 36” granberg mk3 for several years and never had a lot of success with getting my saw dialed in. But had a tree company drop off some big logs so figured I’d give it another go instead of just making firewood. After a lot of fiddling with carb settings and a bit of a rebuild I was able to get one of the logs slabbed up. 2” slabs on about a 16” log a little over 4.5 feet long. Very green and wet ponderosa I believe. Stacked and stickered and I sealed the ends with anchorseal 2.

Any other steps I’m missing or suggestions? Really hope these dry flat. The other smaller stuff I’ve managed to do in the past has twisted pretty decently.

View attachment 988282
View attachment 988283
I would have gotten the first slab off the ground. But that's just me.

I tend to leave the least appealing edge slab out of the pile so there is a more stable flat edge for the pile to sit on. I also stack on old pallets or some sort of dunnage

I tend to ratchet strap my fresh slabs every 16-24” if I have the means. Seems to help keep them flat. Maybe its just my imagination as well.

I tend to ratchet strap my fresh slabs every 16-24” if I have the means. Seems to help keep them flat. Maybe its just my imagination as well.

Put stickers right up close to the ends of the slabs.
Make sure stickers are directly above each other
The most important ratchets are the ones at either end - tighten regularly.
Make sure the ratchets are around a line of stickers.
I always stack with the widest slabs first and definitely get them off the ground.

An alternative to ratchets is something like this using all thread rods
Mind you the Stickering is rubbish but it should give you the irough dea.
stacknsticker.jpg

Back