Fiskars 28" and 36" Side-By-Side Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know - Just what we need: another Fiskars thread!

Part 1 - (Mostly) Objective Comparison

I have an older (2+ years) version of the Fiskars Super Splitter Axe, which I really like, but believe that it is different from the newer, X-25 model. I laid it out side by side with a new Fiskars X-27 and compared them with a tape measure and a postal scale. Note that the weights I got were significantly different than some catalog listings (6.25 lbs for X-27).

The X-27 is generally longer and narrower; the old style is generally shorter and stockier, with a larger head. Both are clearly marked, ‘Made in Finland’.

Model................................ 'Old' / X-27

Overall Length..................28.5” / 36”

Handle Length....................26” / 33.5”

Head Size..8 X 2-5/8 X 1-7/8” / 7.5 X 3-1/8 X 1-5/8

Weight....................5lbs 13.5oz / 5lbs 10.5oz

Handle - ‘Beefier’ feeling on older model. Larger diameter (approximately 1/4” more) just below the head; same diameter at the midpoint of each handle.

P4192343.jpg

Head Shape - The old style head is longer, wider, and more rectangular, like a wedge. It maintains it’s 2.5” side profile from the front of the handle to the edge. The X-27 head is shorter, narrower, and looks more chopping axe from a side profile, flaring from 2.5 to 3.25 inches at the edge.

P4192344.jpg
P4192349.jpg

Sheath - I like the new sheath design for the X-27, which makes it more usable in the field, and less like a single use, retail merchandising holder. It does not stick up as far on top of the axe head, and I don’t have to worry about that strap breaking off. I would prefer one without any top handle, to make it smaller for storage, but cutting the top off would destroy the plastic sheath.

P4192354.jpg

Philbert

Part 2 - Use Evaluation

I was pre-disposed to like the new Fiskars maul because of my experience with the old splitting axe, and with my Fiskars chopping axes, but wanted to compare them in use.

I have been trying them out on about a cord of fresh silver maple from a tree that a neighbor had removed. Granted, this wood splits fairly easy, but I was comparing the axes side-by-side, with identical wood from the same tree, using rounds of approximately the same length and diameter.

I cut my rounds fairly short (10 -12”); 1) because this size fits easily into my small woodstove insert; and 2) because they split easier than longer rounds! I was splitting on top of some larger stumps/rounds (16“ high) and I am just under 5’7” tall. Your experiences may vary with the type and size of wood your split, your height, and your working height.

I am now used to the shorter handle on the old style splitting axe, but I remember thinking that it was short when I first got it. This is not so much an issue if you are splitting on an elevated stump, but can be if you are splitting close to the ground. I was surprised how long it took getting used to the extra 8” on the X-27 handle.

The longer handle on the X-27 clearly had more power on the larger rounds, and the narrower head penetrated deeper through knottier and cross grain wood. The downside was that the longer handle also required a longer swing, and better aim than the old style axe, meaning that it was slightly slower to use on smaller wood. The blunter, old style head seemed to send the wood flying sideways more than the narrower, X-27 head.

The bottom line is that these are both good splitting axes for the wood that I do. Your mileage may vary. I will probably keep both, and use the shorter one for smaller and easier wood, and the longer one for larger and knottier wood (can anyone say ‘AAD’?).

Maybe the X-25 (newer version of my old Fiskars?) fills in this gap, and I’d like to try that sometime. But my 15 lb ‘Monster Maul’ is already posted on Craig’s List.

P4172340.jpg
P4172342.jpg

Philbert

Well witht just the 28", I used my old 8# maul more. Now that I have the 36", I don't use either of them.:msp_wink:

Do you prefer one over the other, or to put it another way , which one would you keep if you could only have one?

Do you prefer one over the other, or to put it another way , which one would you keep if you could only have one?

The X-27 lets me split stuff that would be harder to split with the shorter one, so I would have to choose that one with your constraint. I would also recommend this for larger rounds (length and diameter) as well as harder to split woods.

But as I noted, if the X-25 has the narrower head and 28" handle, it might be the one I choose for my type of splitting.

Philbert

I really like mine. Have not used it too much yet, just split some Doug Fir rounds. Steel seems a little "softer" than my old 8lb maul. Will probably stick with my 27ton log splitter:msp_wink:

I saw an X-25 in Walmart the other day and it seemed too short and I'm not a tall guy. I guess a person would have to use one to be able sure what was best for the individual.

I've got a splitter and another splitting maul but I thought about getting one of these as a backup.

Man i wished i would have waited for the longer handle but hey its a fiskars the BEST maul i ever owned!!

The x25 head on the Walmart units more like the old Super Splitter head in your pictures.

Is the x25 and x27 the same head?

I've got the lightweight old splitter and need a heavier one and can't decide for myself on the the x27 or x25. I also like the shorter handle for the control and find myself completely out of sync when I switch to a long handled maul or sledge to drive wedges.

Thanks for the review.

I have both models of the old. The axe and the super splitter.
Couldnt be happier with both.

I have both models of the old. The axe and the super splitter. Couldnt be happier with both.

I also have a couple of the old, 28" 'Pro' chopping axes which I like for light limbing/clearing and driving wedges when cutting in the field. Don't see them in the current line-up, which is too bad.

(EDIT: I note that now (March, 2014) Bailey's lists the Fiskars 375581-1001 28" Chopping Axe, even though it is not on the Fiskars catalog page).

I remember when the splitting axes first came out there was confusion in the stores between them and the chopping axes. They must have assumed that the X-25 is good enough for both uses.

Philbert

If you split near the ground, it will be too short, and you may glaze your boot or leg if you miss. If you split on a stump, like in my photo, it is an OK length.

Philbert

I haven't split without a splitter for ages but a guy never knows when he'll have to split manually. I used to split on the ground so if I get one it'll probably be the X-27 unless I find a deal on the 25.

I went to two Walmarts and one didn't have any Fiskars and the other had several X-25s which didn't have a price on them or the rack that they were in so I'm assuming that they hadn't been there very long.

I went to two Walmarts and one didn't have any Fiskars and the other had several X-25s which didn't have a price on them

Thankfully, the one Walmart I checked did not have them either. They might be a clearance item if they are the old model, or maybe a new item since they carry other Fiskars garden tools. Were these actually marked 'X-25'?

Philbert

Back