Fiskars Maul and hookaroon question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I wondered if anyone has experience using a Fiskars wood splitting maul, 8 lb, 36", part # 751110-1004.
Does this maul come in different weight heads, or just the 8 lb model ?
What are your impressions of it?

Also wanting to get the Fiskars hookaroon, 28", part # 360070-1001.
Do they come with different length handles?
How do you like yours?

I tried calling Fiskars for more information, but their number just gives different "not in service" type of messages.

Also went to Home Despot the other day... they don't have either one in stock, but the Fiskars splitting axe they have felt slippery. I think I'd spray the handle with "Plasti-Dip". Hopefully that stuff would stay put and not tear apart.

I do have three Fiskars splitting axes ( X17 ,X21 & X25 )and the two brush hooks ( XA23 & XA3 ) .
I use all of them usually wearing leather gloves ( durosomething I think from Stihl ) and they are not
slippery at all .
Why you go for the maul ?
Get either the X25 or X27 (depending on your height ) and
trust me there's no firewood that won't split apart ,once any of these axes is swung .

Fiskars makes the BEST splitting axes by far.

I have 2 Fiskars, the big one is 8 pounds that’s the one I use the most and I really like it.
The smaller one is a X27 it’s also a very nice tool for lighter work.

Also have homemade pull type splitter that runs off tractor hydraulics, that mostly gets used for hard to split stuff .

i don’t have a hookaroon but it would be handy to have sometimes.
I would like to have a Cant Hook, I’ve used them before and they are very handy for turning bigger logs over so you can saw from the other side. It’s been a long time since I saw one for sale in a store.

I've got the 8lb Fiskars maul and a Super Splitting Axe (same thing as the X27 but without the orange on the handle), an X25, and I think it's essentially an X17... it's older and I got it before they came out with the X series tools.

The Fiskars 8lb maul is the best maul I've got. It really does get more 1 strike splits than my old 8lb "ol' Reliable". Not by much, but I used them side by side for a day busting up big rounds, and by the end of the day I could definitely say the Fiskars was the better maul. And the "IsoCore" handle is the real deal. It works and does what it says it will do.

The Super Splitting Axe is awesome. The only thing I don't like about it is the handle doesn't absorb much shock. You get a lot of biteback from the handle it seems. But it's a great splitter.

The X25 and the older small splitting axe, I almost never use them. They have the short handles, and I just can't get used to that. But, that being said, if you set up a splitting block with an old tire screwed to it and split on that block, the X25 does work really well. But make sure you use it on a block. If you take a big swing with a piece on the ground, and the piece splits easier than you expected it to, that short handle now is going to make the head of the axe head straight for your shins. Be careful with that short handle.

The Fiskars X27 is an amazing splitting axe, use it for most of my log splitting. Its not slippery, the long handle gives you powerful acceleration for the split. The Fiskars splitting maul is equally impressive, just a good bit heavier than the X27, but well suited for the tough to split rounds. I also own the XA22 Fiskars hookaroon, use it all the time to drag rounds from the pile and to lift them up to my chopping block. Impressive stuff.

I really like my Fiskars Hookaroon and the X-27. The 8 lb isocore maul gets stuck in the wood a lot, which is annoying. I really prefer my original 15 lb Sotz Monster Maul. It never got stuck; it either split the log or stopped with little penetration. Alas, with my shoulder replacement surgery, I am not sure I can use the Monster Maul again.

9om
I'm gonna assume you mean the isocore maul. I have one and really like it. I'm not awear that they make any different weights of it.
I've got the 8lb Fiskars maul and a Super Splitting Axe (same thing as the X27 but without the orange on the handle), an X25, and I think it's essentially an X17... it's older and I got it before they came out with the X series tools.

The Fiskars 8lb maul is the best maul I've got. It really does get more 1 strike splits than my old 8lb "ol' Reliable". Not by much, but I used them side by side for a day busting up big rounds, and by the end of the day I could definitely say the Fiskars was the better maul. And the "IsoCore" handle is the real deal. It works and does what it says it will do.

The Super Splitting Axe is awesome. The only thing I don't like about it is the handle doesn't absorb much shock. You get a lot of biteback from the handle it seems. But it's a great splitter.

The X25 and the older small splitting axe, I almost never use them. They have the short handles, and I just can't get used to that. But, that being said, if you set up a splitting block with an old tire screwed to it and split on that block, the X25 does work really well. But make sure you use it on a block. If you take a big swing with a piece on the ground, and the piece splits easier than you expected it to, that short handle now is going to make the head of the axe head straight for your shins. Be careful with that short handle.
I have all the splitting axes and the 8lb maul fiskars make. My feelings about how well they work are near identical to the above post.
In the old days I tried near everything I could get my hands on and settled on the monster maul for about 90 % of my splitting . The monster maul was the most effective tool for hand splitting tool for the less then straight grained woods but if I had over again I would used it less because it takes a toll on bones and joints over time from the shock sent to the body through the handle. The isocore handles absorb most of that shock like av's absorb chainsaw vibration.
8 lb fiskars was twice or more better then a Lowe's cheapy I tried. I highly reccomend the 8 lb for tougher splitting rounds and the x27 for most the lesser.
The only peavy I used and have has a wood handle. It's light and a very effective back saver. I did crack the handle and for that reason I would opt for other then wood for a handle if i bought another.

I do have three Fiskars splitting axes ( X17 ,X21 & X25 )and the two brush hooks ( XA23 & XA3 ) .
I use all of them usually wearing leather gloves ( durosomething I think from Stihl ) and they are not
slippery at all .
Why you go for the maul ?
Get either the X25 or X27 (depending on your height ) and
trust me there's no firewood that won't split apart ,once any of these axes is swung .

Fiskars makes the BEST splitting axes by far.

I LOVE my X27. It's about the only hand tool that I bother splitting with any more. Trust me, there's some things that it just won't split. I know that we will all brag about what we can split, or how hard we can swing, but believe me when I say that I swing HARD. With no overstrikes, I used to wear out the handle on an 8 lb maul almost every season (only splitting about 5 cords). The X27 will split 75% of my stuff right down the middle in one or two hits. I split mostly hickory with some locust and oak at times. On 20" rounds that are 20" to 24" long. Some times there's just too many knots. Sometimes (like with red elm or hedge), the X27 just isn't heavy enough and I have to hit it with an 8 lb maul or lay it down and noodle it.

About the time the isocore came out, I started having shoulder problems. The maul looked promising, and I wanted to get one, but considering the cost of surgery, I opted to get a used hydraulic splitter instead (27 ton, $475). Now, if it doesn't talk to me by the 3rd hit with my X27, I use the splitter. If it's much over 24" across, I'll noodle it first and then try by hand again.

I don't have a hookaroon. I have a couple of boys axes that I keep sharp and I use them instead. I normally use those axes for limbing little stuff and splitting kindling, but they work well for picking things up off the ground too.

I do have a peavy that I welded up out of a piece of 1" black pipe and some 1" sq tube. I transport most of my wood in 7' or 15' logs. I don't use my peavy a ton, but I do use it a couple of times with every trailer load of wood, and I wouldn't drive out into the woods without it. When it's not in my truck bed, it's sticking out of the home made loadall on the back of my tractor.

I'm gonna assume you mean the isocore maul. I have one and really like it. I'm not awear that they make any different weights of it.
I don't think they do. The Montser Maul was made by Sotz, which has gone out of business. But the Fiskars X27 splitting axe, which I think has a 4.5 pound head, seems to split a bit better than the 8 lb Fiskars Isocore. I have all of these tools and an old hardware store 8 pound thing also. For splitting effectiveness, I would rank them as follows, from best to worst; Sotz Monster maul, Fiskars X27, Fiskars 8 lb Isocore and generic hardware store 8 lb maul. For the gnarly stuff, I use a wedge and a sledge. The twisted wedge seems to work best.

I have all the splitting axes and the 8lb maul fiskars make. My feelings about how well they work are near identical to the above post.
In the old days I tried near everything I could get my hands on and settled on the monster maul for about 90 % of my splitting . The monster maul was the most effective tool for hand splitting tool for the less then straight grained woods but if I had over again I would used it less because it takes a toll on bones and joints over time from the shock sent to the body through the handle. The isocore handles absorb most of that shock like av's absorb chainsaw vibration.
8 lb fiskars was twice or more better then a Lowe's cheapy I tried. I highly reccomend the 8 lb for tougher splitting rounds and the x27 for most the lesser.
The only peavy I used and have has a wood handle. It's light and a very effective back saver. I did crack the handle and for that reason I would opt for other then wood for a handle if i bought another.
Dang Brushwacker, I didn't know you have all those Fiskars !!! Excellent first hand advice.
I wound up buying a Fiskars 8 lb maul yesterday.
Fiskars does make a 6 lb maul part# 751120-1001, and a 10 lb maul part# 751110-1003, but I've never laid hands on one.
I've got some dead red oak and live red oak rounds to split... can't wait to try it out. I hope to post some pics. Hopefully I get some time soon.

I LOVE my X27. It's about the only hand tool that I bother splitting with any more. Trust me, there's some things that it just won't split. I know that we will all brag about what we can split, or how hard we can swing, but believe me when I say that I swing HARD. With no overstrikes, I used to wear out the handle on an 8 lb maul almost every season (only splitting about 5 cords). The X27 will split 75% of my stuff right down the middle in one or two hits. I split mostly hickory with some locust and oak at times. On 20" rounds that are 20" to 24" long. Some times there's just too many knots. Sometimes (like with red elm or hedge), the X27 just isn't heavy enough and I have to hit it with an 8 lb maul or lay it down and noodle it.

About the time the isocore came out, I started having shoulder problems. The maul looked promising, and I wanted to get one, but considering the cost of surgery, I opted to get a used hydraulic splitter instead (27 ton, $475). Now, if it doesn't talk to me by the 3rd hit with my X27, I use the splitter. If it's much over 24" across, I'll noodle it first and then try by hand again.

I don't have a hookaroon. I have a couple of boys axes that I keep sharp and I use them instead. I normally use those axes for limbing little stuff and splitting kindling, but they work well for picking things up off the ground too.

I do have a peavy that I welded up out of a piece of 1" black pipe and some 1" sq tube. I transport most of my wood in 7' or 15' logs. I don't use my peavy a ton, but I do use it a couple of times with every trailer load of wood, and I wouldn't drive out into the woods without it. When it's not in my truck bed, it's sticking out of the home made loadall on the back of my tractor.
I hear you on the shoulder issue. I have had both of my shoulder joints replaced. I am not sure I will be able to hand-split again, as I am still recovering. Time will tell.

Dang Brushwacker, I didn't know you have all those Fiskars !!! Excellent first hand advice.
I wound up buying a Fiskars 8 lb maul yesterday.
Fiskars does make a 6 lb maul part# 751120-1001, and a 10 lb maul part# 751110-1003, but I've never laid hands on one.
I've got some dead red oak and live red oak rounds to split... can't wait to try it out. I hope to post some pics. Hopefully I get some time soon.

Yep Sean, Fiskars says they make a 6 lb and a 10 lb IsoCore maul.
Den,

Where did you see this about the 6 and 10 pound mauls? They don't show on the Fiskars website, only the 8 pounder... are you looking on the Finland site by chance? Do you have the inside scoop?

I really like my Fiskars Hookaroon and the X-27. The 8 lb isocore maul gets stuck in the wood a lot, which is annoying. I really prefer my original 15 lb Sotz Monster Maul. It never got stuck; it either split the log or stopped with little penetration. Alas, with my shoulder replacement surgery, I am not sure I can use the Monster Maul again.
I've got one of those Monster Mauls made by Brave Industries... I split wood with it the first year we lived here. That thing would split wood on one end and splinter you on the other. It's safe to say it will never split another piece of wood in my hands. I still keep it around though... just in case.

Also have the IsoCore 8 lb maul & the X27; the x27 does most of the work. If they came with a handle longer than 36"
I'd buy it.

My X27 is over 9 years old. I don't use it as much as I used to with two splitters available. I've touched it up maybe a dozen times since new. A bolt embedded in wood took a few chips off the blade, but I was able to hone most of that out.

thumbnail_IMG_0941.jpg

Have seen a few nice splitting axes for 5-6 times what I paid for the X27, but since it still does the job, I'll stick with it.

thumbnail_IMG_0806.jpg

Latest posts

Back