Fiskars Maul and hookaroon question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said 16lb mails are crazy, I agreed. They make splitter for a reason. I split by hand plenty, I also won't beat myself up constantly wacking a nasty knotted crotch with a maul.
Oh ok

As usual i said a lot (bla bla bla) so I was not sure if you were telling me to get a wood splitter instead of using a maul.

👍🏻👍🏻😎

Finally bought a set of the Bahco tongs. They are both the 11" wide opening. One is standard length, and the other is the long length. Nice build quality and price. To be honest, I have only tried them once picking up a small piece of 2x4 lumber, and they worked just fine.
After having used the Logrite Hookaroon extensively, I find its not the optimum tool for some activities. Your wrist and hand will take a beating when hitting and handling logs with it, especially when you give it a fling and the log does not release and wrenches your wrist, or it releases too soon and the log lands on your foot. Also, its like playing croquet' when smacking at small rounds.
While I think the Logrite Hookaroon is a great product for some applications, and I don't see myself ever getting rid of it... I'm looking forward to using the Bahco tongs and have high expectations.
Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00036.JPG
    DSC00036.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 0
Yeah the Logrite tool is tough but lacks finesse. I have the Council Tool hookaroon but I sometimes wonder about the longevity of a wood handle on a tool meant for pulling and lifting vs striking. I keep expecting the head to come loose but so far it has remained tight.

I keep expecting the head to come loose but so far it has remained tight.

Yep, this is why I wanted a metal handle hookaroon.

Also, just picked up a new Woodmizer 60" steel cant. The thing is heafty and robustly built. I'll try to get some pics of it pretty soon. Looking forward to cutting again, now that the weather is cooling off.

I had both the fiskers x25 and the x27 and have long arms. I also like splitting on a block to keep the head out of the dirt. Sold the x27 because the x25 was perfect for me.

I had both the fiskers x25 and the x27 and have long arms. I also like splitting on a block to keep the head out of the dirt. Sold the x27 because the x25 was perfect for me.
I use a slab of plywood to keep the head out of the dirt. Using a block reduces the distance the maul will travel, and therefore, the strike force.

Finally bought a set of the Bahco tongs. They are both the 11" wide opening. One is standard length, and the other is the long length. Nice build quality and price. To be honest, I have only tried them once picking up a small piece of 2x4 lumber, and they worked just fine.
After having used the Logrite Hookaroon extensively, I find its not the optimum tool for some activities. Your wrist and hand will take a beating when hitting and handling logs with it, especially when you give it a fling and the log does not release and wrenches your wrist, or it releases too soon and the log lands on your foot. Also, its like playing croquet' when smacking at small rounds.
While I think the Logrite Hookaroon is a great product for some applications, and I don't see myself ever getting rid of it... I'm looking forward to using the Bahco tongs and have high expectations.
Just my 2 cents.

For my 2-cents worth, I like the Pinch-a-log. It opens to 26". You can pick up a log like lifting a suitcase. I just use the Hookaroon for smaller logs.

LogOx by WoodOx, excellent piece of gear for carrying rounds and splits. Handle design keeps logs from hitting leg. Woodchuck log roller with the double feet. Both American made, both heavy duty and USA quality, both best going. Buy once, we’re in this for the long haul.

I don't think they do. The Montser Maul was made by Sotz, which has gone out of business. But the Fiskars X27 splitting axe, which I think has a 4.5 pound head, seems to split a bit better than the 8 lb Fiskars Isocore. I have all of these tools and an old hardware store 8 pound thing also. For splitting effectiveness, I would rank them as follows, from best to worst; Sotz Monster maul, Fiskars X27, Fiskars 8 lb Isocore and generic hardware store 8 lb maul. For the gnarly stuff, I use a wedge and a sledge. The twisted wedge seems to work best.
I have the Sotz monster maul. If it doesn’t split it, it doesn’t get split. Fun game. When nephews come down, I try to challenge them and bet them they can’t split wood. Before long, my wood is split and they don’t even realize they saved me a lot of work.

Back