Fiskars Maul and hookaroon question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been lurking for a while, this site is very good. Perhaps the best forum I've ever lurked. Thank you all!

I have the 28-inch Fiskars Hookaroon. I love it. I'm 63 and it keeps me from bending over as I move the wood I split. I also use it to move rounds from where I buck them to my trailer. Two days ago I was moving heavy ash rounds by sticking the hookaroon in them and carrying them one handed to the trailer, like a suitcase. I thought they seemed extra heavy, so I took the bathroom scale to the shop and weighed them; they weighed around 100-lbs. So the hookaroon gets very good purchase, at least on the hard ash. I've also moved wet basswood rounds, softer wood, that weighed about the same.

When using the hookaroon for moving split wood, I "hook" a split, put it under my arm, then hook another and leave it on the hook and walk the to pieces into the shop to stack. So I get two at a time. This is all done at a leisurely pace without any bending over. You young guys might like doing it faster by just bending over and grabbing the splits, but I'll take the slow easy pace with no bending over.

If I break my hookaroon, I won't process wood until I buy another. I doubt I'll break it though, it's a quality piece.

Welcome to the site Melnik. Glad to have you aboard !!!

Well, I've got an x25, x27 and 6lb and 8lb isocores. Personally, I see no advantage to any of them over my old 8lbr.
The x25, the handle's too short, and I'm not a tall guy. The axes can't take a beating either. If my stuff sticks, I don't wear myself out reefin' it out, I beat it through with my hammer.
I did buy a council pickeroon, but I found a cheap harbor freight hammer with the claws sharpened up work better than anything.

Michaelj, I originally felt the same way as you. It seemed better to use the 8 lb maul on everything and split almost effortlessly. Then I discovered that on softer woods, or smaller rounds with no knots, its easier to lift the 6 lb maul to split with. It splits just as easily... but is lighter to lift. I keep it right next to me, along with the hookaroon.
Next thing I need is a "cant". I'm not a fan of the point on a peavey. The hook on the cant grabs much better and is more useful. Just my opinion.

Michaelj, I originally felt the same way as you. It seemed better to use the 8 lb maul on everything and split almost effortlessly. Then I discovered that on softer woods, or smaller rounds with no knots, its easier to lift the 6 lb maul to split with. It splits just as easily... but is lighter to lift. I keep it right next to me, along with the hookaroon.
Next thing I need is a "cant". I'm not a fan of the point on a peavey. The hook on the cant grabs much better and is more useful. Just my opinion.

Can't hooks are great I have a log rite. Wish I had gotten a longer one at times as the one I have is kinda short, but it fits in the tool box of the truck real nice. Wouldn't be without it, and cus myself if I forget it at home when I'm out.

I wondered if anyone has experience using a Fiskars wood splitting maul, 8 lb, 36", part # 751110-1004.
Does this maul come in different weight heads, or just the 8 lb model ?
What are your impressions of it?

My family bought the Isocore 8lb for my birthday (at my request) and Ive been using it every couple days for the past 2ish weeks. I'm splitting fairly large ash and oak, and rotating it with a Sotz Monster maul and a Harbor freight 4ish lb maul.

I am an enormous fan of this isocore maul. I sing the praises of the Monster Maul and have lauded it since 1982, but this Isocore is the one I am grabbing now. An outstanding $60 and a no brainer part of someone's splitting arsenal.

I'll never part iwth the Sotz, but the isocore is unquestionably a keeper.

Michaelj, I originally felt the same way as you. It seemed better to use the 8 lb maul on everything and split almost effortlessly. Then I discovered that on softer woods, or smaller rounds with no knots, its easier to lift the 6 lb maul to split with. It splits just as easily... but is lighter to lift. I keep it right next to me, .....

I have always been a firm believer in having a smaller 4-5lber and the big Monster Maul. Use the tool that fits best. Swap em out, use different muscle groups, etc.

The Isocore 8lb slots right in between. The monster is a monster to run for long time periods. Using it's 16lbs of awesome for the beastly logs and then moving back to the 8lber for the rest, and a lighter splitting ax or maul for once they are tamed into quarters. 2-3 splitting devices is not at all out of line IMO.

Especially considering the price, its not a wallet buster to have a few.

I have always been a firm believer in having a smaller 4-5lber and the big Monster Maul. Use the tool that fits best. Swap em out, use different muscle groups, etc.

The Isocore 8lb slots right in between. The monster is a monster to run for long time periods. Using it's 16lbs of awesome for the beastly logs and then moving back to the 8lber for the rest, and a lighter splitting ax or maul for once they are tamed into quarters. 2-3 splitting devices is not at all out of line IMO.

Especially considering the price, its not a wallet buster to have a few.

Yep. the 8lb Fiskar and 6lb Fiskar accompany me now whenever I go splitting. The 6lb works effortlessly on smaller stuff, so there is no need to lift the 8lb maul in those applications. No need to work harder than you have to. I still want a big Sotz maul though, for the gigantic stuff that I don't feel like noodling. I have to find one of the Sotz just to satisfy myself !!!

I still want a big Sotz maul though, for the gigantic stuff that I don't feel like noodling. I have to find one of the Sotz just to satisfy myself !!!

I had a Sotz and loaned it out when I went away to school and never got it back. Its gone, guy I loaned it to must have loaned it and now claims he never even had it. I wrote it and him off.

Fast forward decades, I am online looking for a Sotz on ebay and aI am cursing the prices to myself. She leans over my shoulder and says, "I think I may have one of those in my shed. I'll ask my husband".

Neither use it, and for a nice bottle of bourbon its got a new home.

Ask around and get the work out a little. They NEVER go bad, are too heavy to throw out, and I strongly suspect there's a million of them in sheds at shops around the country.

I found one that was painted medium blue, about 4 years ago, at a garage sale. I think the guy wanted $5.00 for it, but I did not pay much attention to it. I kind of wonder if it was really a Sotz or maybe a China one. It looked old. Not really sure if Sotz ever painted them blue, I thought all of them were orange.

Went to a farm auction the other day. Finally found a Sotz Monster Maul. It is the 8 lb version, about identical in weight to the 8 lb Fiskars maul I have. I'll try to get some pictures posted.

I don't regret buying it... but really wanted the biggest Sotz maul, I think 12 lbs, I'll probably be trading it for someone's 12 pound version. Some folks are tired of the massive 12 pounders... totally understandable.

Also picked up a single-bit axe for $2.00 at the auction. It has a beast up 34" handle that is garbage, but the head is in great shape. Perfect candidate for a custom short handled fellers axe.

Here's my $2.00 axe and the Sotz maul. The axe has a 31" handle, and the Sotz has a 30" handle. I measured both of them from the end of the handle to where it first meets the head.

Not really sure what brand the axe is. No markings visible anywhere. Any ideas?
I think as a fellers axe to carry with me, a 26" or 28" handle would be good... any advice about that is appreciated.
Also thought about making a custom handle for the axe, out of red oak, or osage orange, but I don't have the time or drum sander/belt sander, etc. Probably buy a hickory handle when I see a nice one somewhere.

Attachments

• DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
How heavy of a head is that? She's got a nice poll, I'd banger with a 26" straight shaft 😏

How heavy of a head is that? She's got a nice poll, I'd banger with a 26" straight shaft 😏
Not sure of the weight Gumby, but it feels good enough for me to drive wedges. That 26" length and straight shaft sounds good also.
I think once I get a handle and clean up the head, I'll finish it with 44/40 Cold Blue.
After doing that, I first thought about putting a light coat of grease inside the eye before fitting the handle, to stop corrosion. But after further consideration, grease will probably cause the head to slip... so I think I'll just blue it and then put the handle in dry.

for fairly straight grain wood I use the 36" handle version of the fiskars super split. basically the same thing as the x27. steel sucks but it splits good and is a lifetime warrantee that they stand behind. iv split probably 30 cord with the same one and she is going strong. Iv got a second brand new one on stand by. as purty as wooden handles are on splitting axes and mauls they are to easy to break and the heads come loose to much. id rather spend my time splitting than fixing. a felling axe is the place for a wooden handle IMO.

lately I have been splitting some awfully knarly oak so I have been using the fiskars 8lbs maul full time for the past 6+ cords.

i see estwing has a nice looking 8lbs maul, oddly that I can not seem to find on their website but its on amazon. looks nice but Ill keep my money. the 2 fiskars work fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Spli...686924560&sprefix=estwing+maul,aps,113&sr=8-6
not sure my 150lbs keyster wants to try and swing a 16lbs maul. you guys are off your rockers.

for fairly straight grain wood I use the 36" handle version of the fiskars super split. basically the same thing as the x27. steel sucks but it splits good and is a lifetime warrantee that they stand behind. iv split probably 30 cord with the same one and she is going strong. Iv got a second brand new one on stand by. as purty as wooden handles are on splitting axes and mauls they are to easy to break and the heads come loose to much. id rather spend my time splitting than fixing. a felling axe is the place for a wooden handle IMO.

lately I have been splitting some awfully knarly oak so I have been using the fiskars 8lbs maul full time for the past 6+ cords.

i see estwing has a nice looking 8lbs maul, oddly that I can not seem to find on their website but its on amazon. looks nice but Ill keep my money. the 2 fiskars work fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Spli...686924560&sprefix=estwing+maul,aps,113&sr=8-6
not sure my 150lbs keyster wants to try and swing a 16lbs maul. you guys are off your rockers.
They make hydraulic splitter for a reason lol.

They make hydraulic splitter for a reason lol.
not sure why we are taking about hydro splitters in a thread about mauls and hookaroons

I had a splitter.

sold it because it never got used.

I use an axe or a saw. that's it. Try to keep life simple. JMO 👍 sold most of my saws too. dont need all that. iv only got 4 left.
different folks different strokes. I REALLY enjoy the exercise from splitting. when im old and dont want to swing an axe any more ill buy a big fat hydro splitter or build one.

to the O.P.
I have the fiskars hookaroon too and use it a lot. needs a bit more weight on the head tho.

not sure why we are taking about hydro splitters in a thread about mauls and hookaroons

I had a splitter.

sold it because it never got used.

I use an axe or a saw. that's it. Try to keep life simple. JMO 👍 sold most of my saws too. dont need all that. iv only got 4 left.
different folks different strokes. I REALLY enjoy the exercise from splitting. when im old and dont want to swing an axe any more ill buy a big fat hydro splitter or build one.

to the O.P.
I have the fiskars hookaroon too and use it a lot. needs a bit more weight on the head tho.
You said 16lb mails are crazy, I agreed. They make splitter for a reason. I split by hand plenty, I also won't beat myself up constantly wacking a nasty knotted crotch with a maul.

You said 16lb mails are crazy, I agreed. They make splitter for a reason. I split by hand plenty, I also won't beat myself up constantly wacking a nasty knotted crotch with a maul.
I used to like banging away at the knotty stuff to prove that I could. NOW, Crazy knotty stuff gets set aside and then later gets 2 more cuts with the saw to form three 6" pancakes, which split easily even if aweful.

I used to like banging away at the knotty stuff to prove that I could. NOW, Crazy knotty stuff gets set aside and then later gets 2 more cuts with the saw to form three 6" pancakes, which split easily even if aweful.
I do the same. Ill go at it for 5-6 wacks. If she shows not progress it get thrown in the noodling pile.

Im currently REALLY tempted to buy that estwing Maul. Looks nice.

As promised here are the pictures of the my Fiskars maul. Can’t remember how much it has split already so a guess is maybe 10cord. And the Hookaroon……And the pile of oak that iv already gotten 6+ cords out of is in the backround. And my little bota (thing is a tank).
After a good day of spliting today I took a slow drive to the local brown bottle store and got my favorite.

Happy fathers day guys!

Attachments

• DB92C822-EBE6-4834-B3C9-1F659BBF49BD.jpeg
    13.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2080678E-1ABC-4A8A-BD43-8E8F0E11DA92.jpeg
    2080678E-1ABC-4A8A-BD43-8E8F0E11DA92.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 52AD1C94-11D7-49F7-82BA-099ED8F21031.jpeg
    52AD1C94-11D7-49F7-82BA-099ED8F21031.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3C4138B6-F4C2-4BE5-9862-44D92257BEF1.jpeg
    3C4138B6-F4C2-4BE5-9862-44D92257BEF1.jpeg