Fiskars Super Splitting Axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe from Santa!

Took it out today and busted up some red oak rounds with it. I'm impressed. I like it. The handle has some biteback in it, but this thing works!

What's the local price for X27? I have the X25 and I think it was 64,90 Euros . Those aren't made far away from my house...

I've got the "splitting axe" (the first fiskars I saw here in the US with the 3lb head, ) the X25 short handle, and now the SSA. I know I didn't pay more than $50'ish for any of them.

The original and the X25 both seem to have softer steel than the SSA. After busting up about 10 25-28" rounds the edge on the SSA was still pristine. No way would the other two look like that after that much splitting, especially after some of the tougher pieces. This red oak I used it on was really stringy.

Fiskars got it right with the SSA judging on the little bit I used it so far.

I have a ssa and x27 both. The handle is slicker on the ssa if it’s wet outside. An over strike is a lot worse on you with the ssa seems like.
X27 is easier to find if you throw it down in grass because of the orange. But the orange grip will start to come off eventually and it’s kinda annoying feeling.
Great tools. Longest lasting splitters I’ve ever owned besides a monster maul that’s all steel. I carry them both on the truck and grab whatever one is sharpest.

Back