Fiskars x27 or Husqvarna S2800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a X27 that has split 300 cords or more. It’s been sharpened so many times that it is round faced now. It doesn’t hold an edge at all now days and the orange grip is about to come off, but it’s lasted like 10X as long as anything else. They do a hell of a lot better job splitting while new, that slick coating is sweet and the edge is razor sharp and stays for like 10 cords. Best wood splitting tool I have ever owned. If I could get a new one about every 30 cords it would be perfect.
I might try the husqvarna one though.

tractor supply has the fiskers maul on sale down here for 61 out the door...too bad there are none in stock so i had to get a printed raincheck for the future. anyone try the stihl maul?? looks like a hults bruk for 100 bucks sold only at the stihl dealer

tractor supply has the fiskers maul on sale down here for 61 out the door...too bad there are none in stock so i had to get a printed raincheck for the future. anyone try the stihl maul?? looks like a hults bruk for 100 bucks sold only at the stihl dealer

I've handled one, but haven't had the chance to use one. They're big and heavy, looks like a good tool, but not something you can swing all afternoon like an x27 or Gransfors bruks. If I recall correctly, they're made by Ochsenkopf. Hults Bruks makes axes for Husqvarna.

I like my fiskars with the 36” handle. Have another new one on standby in the garage

If that cant do it then throw it in the “cant split” pile to be noodled with a big saw.

c494718152441fa5dea21e40bb528798.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I’ve used all the Stihl splitting tools. Still have the heads somewhere. Never could keep a handle on any of them. They worked great though.

I’ve used all the Stihl splitting tools. Still have the heads somewhere. Never could keep a handle on any of them. They worked great though.
the ones i saw today have a nice steel collar and a bolt down cap over the end of the handle cap. Have you been replacing the handles with the Ochsenkopf replacements? or another variation. I have looked and looked for a used head of that type/brand to hang myself but i can never find one . @Ryan'smilling I believe your correct on the manufacturer.

the ones i saw today have a nice steel collar and a bolt down cap over the end of the handle cap. Have you been replacing the handles with the Ochsenkopf replacements? or another variation. I have looked and looked for a used head of that type/brand to hang myself but i can never find one . @Ryan'smilling I believe your correct on the manufacturer.
It’s been a long time. I was just ordering new handles from the dealer. Seems I had an axe like one and a maul like one, I see the maul head now and then. Don’t recall seeing the axe lately. None of the handles had any protection.

if you want to let that used maul head go lmk ,If the wife came home and found me with a brand new maul any time soon after i just purchased and started refurbing a saw things would get heated but a used maul head with a new handle would be less dramatic LOL

if you want to let that used maul head go lmk ,If the wife came home and found me with a brand new maul any time soon after i just purchased and started refurbing a saw things would get heated but a used maul head with a new handle would be less dramatic LOL
I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow. It’s plumb rusty so you can sneak it into your collection pretty easy.

I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow. It’s plumb rusty so you can sneak it into your collection pretty easy.

Ha ha ha love that :) ... I had an addiction for flying RC planes for a few years and one of the guys in a forum got "busted" by the Mrs because he bought a new one and she recognised it was a "new" colour .... after that he said only bought blue planes :laugh:

Ha ha ha love that :) ... I had an addiction for flying RC planes for a few years and one of the guys in a forum got "busted" by the Mrs because he bought a new one and she recognised it was a "new" colour .... after that he said only bought blue planes :laugh:
I full understand. I had a firearms addiction back before I had kids. I could bring home all the 1911’s and Ar15’s I wanted without her noticing they were new.

The S2800 is hands down a more effective splitting tool than the X27. Not even close. Like comparing a high school athlete to someone playing D1. Very much worth the increase in price.

For splitting moderate to easy to split wood, I’m a big proponent of the X25. It has a shorter handle like the S2800 so you can get a faster, more accurate swing but has better balance.

I’ve not used my X-27 at all over the past three years since I’ve had the S2800/X-25 combo.

Sorry I didn’t see this post sooner. Didn’t even see the tags.

Sounds like out of the 3 my choice to get the X27 was possibly the worst I could have chosen.

I get the impression you kind of prefer the X25 to the S2800 and use it more for everyday use but use the 2800 for the harder to split pieces ... am I interpreting that correctly and if so is it just because you find the X25 easier to swing and can do more before you get tired otherwise you'd just use the 2800 the whole time to avoid switching??
I know when I just had he axe and a heavy maul I'd use the axe as much as possible and just pick up the maul for the harder to split pieces as using the maul continually you very quickly became knackered.

Most of what I split isn't that bad and my stove's not huge so the rounds are cut to 9 / 10" lengths - although you obviously get some bits that are quite knotty ... If you'd done the same as me and bought the X27 and find it a bit too big and were going to buy one more with the benefit of hindsight ... would you get the X25 or the S2800 next?

We're in danger of repeating the splitting tool review thread..... But that never stopped is before!
Yes I've got the Stihl maul. Or the cleave hammer actually, the difference is minimal. There pro ones get hickory handle not ash, the steel overstrike guard, and 8lb heads not 6lb. I've the pro. Yes it's oschenkopf, even has the ox emblem,. They sell the same tools with yellow paint as the Big Ox iirc. It's heavy, not a tool I'll swing for long, but it is effective. It doesn't split, it smashes, but yes stuff that I can't x27 is set aside and now and then I go at the troublesome pile with the cleave hammer. What that doesn't smash, I noodle with the 365.
I'd l like to try it against an isocore but when I got it the isocore wasn't available here. Plus I got a bargain on eBay.... The seller didn't know it was the pro version and set the starting price at the cost of the ash handled 6lber....I knew what it was from the photo and got lucky as the only bidder.

Witterings, when thinking about what axe to add next (you know what I'll say!) Which you'll get the most from DEPENDS ON THE WOOD YOU'RE GETTING!
If you are getting a lot of hard to split stuff, go bigger or learn to noodle... Or as I did, go bigger then learn it's diminishing returns and learn to love a 72cc Swedish orange for making noodles. For splitting easy stuff fast, go smaller. I've not actually tried an x25, but I have an x21 and a few real axes in the 2.5-3.5lb range on my 28" hafts. I wish there were an x23. There is a husqvarna/gardena axe of about that size I believe but I've a feeling it's a chopping profile not a splitting axe.

You've heard of one/two saw plans? I'm a proponent of a minimum 3 axe plan.

I have one. It is a good tool but the balance is way off...at least for me. I don't like to swing it and haven't used it enough to get any accuracy with it.

Sounds like out of the 3 my choice to get the X27 was possibly the worst I could have chosen.

I get the impression you kind of prefer the X25 to the S2800 and use it more for everyday use but use the 2800 for the harder to split pieces ... am I interpreting that correctly and if so is it just because you find the X25 easier to swing and can do more before you get tired otherwise you'd just use the 2800 the whole time to avoid switching??
I know when I just had he axe and a heavy maul I'd use the axe as much as possible and just pick up the maul for the harder to split pieces as using the maul continually you very quickly became knackered.

Most of what I split isn't that bad and my stove's not huge so the rounds are cut to 9 / 10" lengths - although you obviously get some bits that are quite knotty ... If you'd done the same as me and bought the X27 and find it a bit too big and were going to buy one more with the benefit of hindsight ... would you get the X25 or the S2800 next?
Correct, the X25 is better balanced than the X27 or S2800 but doesn’t have as much power.

If I was splitting 10” wood then I’d go with the X25 next.

OK ... I am a bit obsessive ... I ordered the S2800 a couple of days ago and it arrived the day after BUT i'd also ordered the X25 with a delayed delivery and that arrived today.

I knew a few weeks ago there were problems in the supply chain due to Covid and with winter here these could easily sell out nationwide.

I also knew I was going in for a major operation and as an axe requires age verification on delivery I didn't know when I'd be here and able to offer them photo ID as proof of age so rang the company explained my circumstances and asked if I ordered it there and then (25th Nov which I did) if it'd definitely be put by for me and could be delivered on Monday the 7th Dec ... they confirmed that was fine and they had 9 in stock at the time of ordering ... one would definitely be put by for me.

I was out of hospital sooner than the worse case scenario so rang them on Thursday the 3rd to make sure delivery was still scheduled for the 7th and did I need to do anything else and was re-assured one had been put by (their website was showing none in stock at this time) and mine would definitely be delivered on the Monday.

On the Monday it got later and later in the day and my gut feel told me it wasn't going to arrive so just before closing rang and asked them if there was a tracking number and if they could confirm it had defintely been dispatched (the day it was due for delivery) and they said accounts hadn't released it as there was a problem with the payment ... it looked like it'd been refused by my bank (in which case I was going to rip the banks head off ... I hate banks).

I asked to be transferred to accounts who said ... something didn't go through but that's not what was holding it up .... ooohhhh but it's gone through now ?????????????

ME: Sorry not good enough, the payment should either have been processed at the time of order or dispatch (the previos week) so is this really a reason it's not been delivered today and he promised to investigate and call me back.

I was on the phone when "Ray" called me back and he left a message saying ... sorry the reason it hadn't been dispatched is they were out of stock when it was ordered (not when they told me they had 9 in stock) but they now had stock so would send one out as soon as possible but couldn't confirm the day / time it'd go / arrive.

I rang sales the following day and explained that "Ray" was obviously completely FULL OF **** because I'd checked and they had 9 in stock when I orderd so basically he was a complete lying female genital and when would my order arrive.

The lady had to go away and get confirmation from the warehouse they had put one by and if so when it'd go out and be delivered ... she did call back yesterday and confirm it'd be with me today.

I've attached the pics of what I've received .... my major surgery was a complete abdominal reconstruction ... I'm not allowed to lift a duster (OK I paid the surgeon to put that in my notes :laugh: ) so there's no way I've swung this thing ... have a look and see what you guys think and any commenst on your impression of the brand new tool received and the retailer?

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 10
Looks like you got a display model or one that’s sat for a while. Nonetheless after the first time you use it, those superficial marks will be forgotten.

Sorry you ended up dealing with knuckleheads, it happens.

OK ... I am a bit obsessive ... I ordered the S2800 a couple of days ago and it arrived the day after BUT i'd also ordered the X25 with a delayed delivery and that arrived today.

I knew a few weeks ago there were problems in the supply chain due to Covid and with winter here these could easily sell out nationwide.

I also knew I was going in for a major operation and as an axe requires age verification on delivery I didn't know when I'd be here and able to offer them photo ID as proof of age so rang the company explained my circumstances and asked if I ordered it there and then (25th Nov which I did) if it'd definitely be put by for me and could be delivered on Monday the 7th Dec ... they confirmed that was fine and they had 9 in stock at the time of ordering ... one would definitely be put by for me.

I was out of hospital sooner than the worse case scenario so rang them on Thursday the 3rd to make sure delivery was still scheduled for the 7th and did I need to do anything else and was re-assured one had been put by (their website was showing none in stock at this time) and mine would definitely be delivered on the Monday.

On the Monday it got later and later in the day and my gut feel told me it wasn't going to arrive so just before closing rang and asked them if there was a tracking number and if they could confirm it had defintely been dispatched (the day it was due for delivery) and they said accounts hadn't released it as there was a problem with the payment ... it looked like it'd been refused by my bank (in which case I was going to rip the banks head off ... I hate banks).

I asked to be transferred to accounts who said ... something didn't go through but that's not what was holding it up .... ooohhhh but it's gone through now ?????????????

ME: Sorry not good enough, the payment should either have been processed at the time of order or dispatch (the previos week) so is this really a reason it's not been delivered today and he promised to investigate and call me back.

I was on the phone when "Ray" called me back and he left a message saying ... sorry the reason it hadn't been dispatched is they were out of stock when it was ordered (not when they told me they had 9 in stock) but they now had stock so would send one out as soon as possible but couldn't confirm the day / time it'd go / arrive.

I rang sales the following day and explained that "Ray" was obviously completely FULL OF **** because I'd checked and they had 9 in stock when I orderd so basically he was a complete lying female genital and when would my order arrive.

The lady had to go away and get confirmation from the warehouse they had put one by and if so when it'd go out and be delivered ... she did call back yesterday and confirm it'd be with me today.

I've attached the pics of what I've received .... my major surgery was a complete abdominal reconstruction ... I'm not allowed to lift a duster (OK I paid the surgeon to put that in my notes :laugh: ) so there's no way I've swung this thing ... have a look and see what you guys think and any commenst on your impression of the brand new tool received and the retailer?
Really odd that the face has nicks in it. That takes some screwing up. I bet someone was cutting wire with it.

Back