Fiskars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Fiskers, do these count as "hand held tools?"

FiskarsAxes_ii.jpg

I have to admit I thought all the rage over the Fiskars was just hype.I was made a believer when I got an x27. Great tool, I'm sure the others are too.

I felt the same way ,,Until I purchased one.I also own a set of bush trimmers and a limb trimmer made by fiskars and they are both excellent products.

When I was looking at getting a maul I looked at several different kinds. I prefer splitting with an axe as I'm a small guy and an axe is just more comfortable for me. I instantly liked the fiskars in the store because if felt more axe like than other mauls I had been looking at. Got it home and tried er out and just like everyone else was blown away. I will say it's not as good for pounding splitting wedges as a regular maul is. There is a reason they say not to do it. Cracked the handle on it (hit the handle right behind the head) but it hasn't broken yet. If it ever goes I'll take it back to the saw shop and see if they'll just hand me a new one. If not I guess I learned the hard way. Plus they don't have enough surface area for poundin wedges anyways.

I still don't know id probably kill it to much plastic around the head what you all think

They work well, I get a lot of my hardwood from a bit north of Ouse, and they split a 14" lOng round so long as there is no fork in the gum tree.

Also impressed a bloke who neighbours the property I cut on who has a wood yard down south.

However, buy from US, it worked out to be $50 + $35 air freight per X27 from Baileys, yet all local places are $130-140 retail. Even at agfest last year in a price war, they were $99.

I split some big rounds, green is easy as, old dry wood from rubbish piles takes a bit more but still fine. I also use it to drive in plastic falling wedges if falling or bucking no worries.

I even used my older X27 to cut the roots on a conifer in the garden in the dirt when dragging the stump out with my 4wd, as I needed to cut them somehow. The edge is dulled a bit from the dirt, but a couple of minutes with a raker file will fix it.

In short, I recommend them.

They work well, I get a lot of my hardwood from a bit north of Ouse, and they split a 14" lOng round so long as there is no fork in the gum tree.

Also impressed a bloke who neighbours the property I cut on who has a wood yard down south.

However, buy from US, it worked out to be $50 + $35 air freight per X27 from Baileys, yet all local places are $130-140 retail. Even at agfest last year in a price war, they were $99.

I split some big rounds, green is easy as, old dry wood from rubbish piles takes a bit more but still fine. I also use it to drive in plastic falling wedges if falling or bucking no worries.

I even used my older X27 to cut the roots on a conifer in the garden in the dirt when dragging the stump out with my 4wd, as I needed to cut them somehow. The edge is dulled a bit from the dirt, but a couple of minutes with a raker file will fix it.

In short, I recommend them.
thanks for that bit of info i might have to pick one up and see how it go's

I have the x25 and the x7 and would like to get an x15 some day. The x15 is a bit short for use as an axe, isnt it? What do you guys use the x15 for? I may not have found that I really need an x15 and that is why I dont have one ------yet.

Ron

It's great for use in a confined space.

I keep it in my 4wd, and used it effectively under my 4wd when a branch flicked up and jammed itself around the rear diff and suspension linkages to cut through it and remove it.

Not sure what else i would like it for?

Saw the Fiskars axe & hatchet at the local Sears yesterday. They looked impressive, but wanted to read here what folks thought. Now that I've read this thread, I just might go buy the pair ... about $75 for both.

Saw the Fiskars axe & hatchet at the local Sears yesterday. They looked impressive, but wanted to read here what folks thought. Now that I've read this thread, I just might go buy the pair ... about $75 for both.

75 bucks for both is decent. You'll like them.

I like everything fiskars I own except the sharpener, for some reason I can't get mine to sharpen anything, and I have spent hours with it, tried it on all sorts of edged things including fiskars axe and hatchet. I am beginning to think I got a reject one, because everyone else reports god success and easy top use.

or I am a tard, which..well..might have some merit to that notion :(

Tell ya what, if you garden or have need of a real good tough shovel, man, best shovel I ever used, fiskars long handled super shovel. Dang, just dang. I am sure there are probably better shovels out there, but I certainly never saw or ran one better, and I am well long familiar with running ethnic steam shovels...

Firewood forum has lebenty dozen fiskars axes versus everything else threads, with some rather "spirited" commentary pro and con...hahahaha! Spirited, ya, that's the word...

Back