Fiskars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard that you have to be careful with the X25. With its short handle it would be easy to hit yourself.

I have heard that you have to be careful with the X25. With its short handle it would be easy to hit yourself.

Correct. I would not (do not) use an elevated chopping block. It can come back on you..... All around excellent splitter though.

Normally get a handle broke every other year or so but damn, got two maul handles in a month soliciting dry easy splitting elm? Instead of splitting straight across it splits perpendicular to the blade at the handle side edges causing a sharp point on the round that catches the handle and tears the fibers out of the side. Did it twice today to the same maul and know needs a new handle as I don't trust how much of the handle is left. I have a Fiskars forest axe and love it and was wondering, has anyone actually broken a splitting axe handle and why. I imagine after two or three new ads
Under warranty they would "axe" you! Sorry couldn't help th

I broke the x27 handle around the head. Don't use it to free a stuck maul or splitting wedge.

Cause someone had to do it... :laugh:
The OP did not specify which Fiskars product, and this thread has centered around axes/hatchets ... and yes, I have a couple of 'em. Have any of you tried Fiskars loppers? I used a buddy's old pair and was thoroughly impressed ... have since bought 3 pair - a standard bypass lopper, a ratcheting anvil lopper, and their telescoping-handle bypass lopper. I now have more Fiskars products than Stihl chainsaws.

The OP did not specify which Fiskars product, and this thread has centered around axes/hatchets ... and yes, I have a couple of 'em. Have any of you tried Fiskars loppers? I used a buddy's old pair and was thoroughly impressed ... have since bought 3 pair - a standard bypass lopper, a ratcheting anvil lopper, and their telescoping-handle bypass lopper. I now have more Fiskars products than Stihl chainsaws.

I have a pair of Fiskars bypass loppers, they are nice. I have a fiskars leaf rake, it is my favorite leaf rake. The leaves come off of it by turning it over and dragging it. It is really light. http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Products/Rakes/Leaf-Rake

I've got some fiskars axes & hatchets love them. Got a machete awhile back as a gift, edge was done horribly wrong, folded the edge in 4 places first time use. 4 folds in 4 swings couldn't belive it. Will try to post picks of it, hope I can contact fiskars on it for a replacement or something, it was a gift & don't have the reciept. I grabbed my Gerber machete to use on the same limb and it tore through it no problem.

Well I ordered, received, and used the x27. Wow. Glad it drank the kool aid. I think I could swing it all day. Split and stacked a 1/3 of a cord of white oak in less than an hour while the boy napped. It just glided thru straight pieces with little effort and didn't stick in a single crotch piece.

I have a 6'4" 300+lb guy that works for me. He'd kill a wood maul handle every five cords of wood. He does wood for a side job in excess of 100 hand split cords a year. He's a beast.

I decided to stock the X27's in my store, and bought one for myself. We had about 10 cords to do for our store wood (I heat the store with wood) and was so impressed with it that I loaned it to him. He bought two from our shelf the next day. To this day, 70 cords later, he hasn't broke one yet. They aren't unbreakable, but they are damned tough.

I've got some fiskars axes & hatchets love them. Got a machete awhile back as a gift, edge was done horribly wrong, folded the edge in 4 places first time use. 4 folds in 4 swings couldn't belive it. Will try to post picks of it, hope I can contact fiskars on it for a replacement or something, it was a gift & don't have the reciept. I grabbed my Gerber machete to use on the same limb and it tore through it no problem.
I think the machete`s are made in china, where the splitters are made in Finland.

the Fiskars garden shovel is the best I have ever used. I had the machete, it was stolen with the saws, but meh, not so hot. The folding pocket saw is OK.

Haven't tried the x27 yet, but run the original supersplitter a lot. Been going back and forth with that, my new husky/wetterlings maul, then the anvil on a stick. They all work, the fiskars is the easiest to swing and use. For the money, best hand tool I ever bought.

I have a 6'4" 300+lb guy that works for me. He'd kill a wood maul handle every five cords of wood. He does wood for a side job in excess of 100 hand split cords a year. He's a beast.

I decided to stock the X27's in my store, and bought one for myself. We had about 10 cords to do for our store wood (I heat the store with wood) and was so impressed with it that I loaned it to him. He bought two from our shelf the next day. To this day, 70 cords later, he hasn't broke one yet. They aren't unbreakable, but they are damned tough.

Have you tried using the Stihl Pa 50 or the new "Pro" splitting axe with the steel sleeve wrapped around? Both Ochsenkopf, of course.

I have a Stihl PA50 as well as the Stihl PA 80. I have not tried the new "Pro" or "Woodcutter" Models. The handles on the PA 50 and PA80 take a beating. Our birch is tenacious and the maul will often go half way through and hang up "stringy" wood holding it together. It erodes handles pretty quick. My solution is to wrap an entire roll of electrical tape around them right below the head. I haven't lost a handle yet this way. I think the X-27 is better than either of them, and all my help agrees.

Sears has one that has a 28" handle I believe. that size is not available in the orange handled one...

they all are now starting to come with an all black handle (like this one). is there any difference to the head?..

I don't like the new handles but there's a sale on so I'm going to pick up another x11. Last one is MIA at the dreaded in laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just broke the handle on my only splitting axe last week. I'm 6' 5" and wondering if the x27 would suit me? I'm saving up money as quick as I can so I can get back to work and need to know if my money would be well spent on one. Thanks.

I just broke the handle on my only splitting axe last week. I'm 6' 5" and wondering if the x27 would suit me? I'm saving up money as quick as I can so I can get back to work and need to know if my money would be well spent on one. Thanks.

Lifetime guarantee on them, so...just keep it sharp! Keep the edge out of the dirt. I split on a low block inside a tire. I make big rounds fit by first with a traditional maul and sledge hammer and wedges, etc, then put the chunks in the tire for the final fiskarization (which is when it gets fun for me, whapwhap whap machine gun splitting! hahahaha. I was busting up some big oak rounds tonight, three footers, I was getting two wheelbarrows of big pie slice chunks per round, I'll finish them off later this week, make up split to stack size.

In the meantime until you try an x27, whittle out a handle for your other one.

I like having a variety.

six five, ha! I am not quite five six! 118 lbs of rip snorting...uhh...tired semi old guy. Not re-tired, but definitely tired... Still bust wood though! I have the original supersplitter with just the 28 inch handle, the x27 with a 36 inch handle has to build up more speed. So ya, should work for you.

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know. I'll pull the trigger as soon as funds allow.

Cool, you'll like it probably. Once you pick it up it's like swinging a whiffle ball bat, they weigh like nuthin'. They work by speed over force so read the round, nail the existing cracks, etc, and work on flicking that thing fast and accurate.

The factory teflon coating eventually wears off, so, what I have found is at home depot and most likely other places, they have spray cans of dry teflon lube made by pb blaster. Couple quick spritzes on it after sharpening works wonders. Took me around..hmm..two years, so around 8 cord to wear off the factory coating. In retrospect, i wish I had sprayed it from day one. Same stuff works on other axes and mauls, etc, keeps them from sticking in the wood.

Latest posts

Back