Fiskars...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased the dead blow hammers for me and my two sons. Funny they all cracked at the same time. All snap on dead blows. They won’t answer my emails for the warranty.

With Fiskars Is there a expiration date when these will crack? I hate to be using it when the pieces go flying.

Maybe you could post some pictures here to show exactly what your talking about ?

Curious how sharp y’all keep your fiskars splitting axes? It comes with a very sharp edge, which I have let get somewhat dull, with the thinking that a régular maul doesn’t need to be sharp to be effective, but curious if the splitting axe is different. I’ll probably sharpen it up again to see if it makes any difference, but curious what others experience has been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased the dead blow hammers for me and my two sons. Funny they all cracked at the same time. All snap on dead blows. They won’t answer my emails for the warranty.

With Fiskars Is there a expiration date when these will crack? I hate to be using it when the pieces go flying.

Sorry to hear they’re not responding. I had the plastic at the top of the handle on my isocore maul crack, took picture, did the Warrenty claim process on their website, and got a new one within a week.

Curious how sharp y’all keep your fiskars splitting axes? It comes with a very sharp edge, which I have let get somewhat dull, with the thinking that a régular maul doesn’t need to be sharp to be effective, but curious if the splitting axe is different. I’ll probably sharpen it up again to see if it makes any difference, but curious what others experience has been.

Keep mine sharp like it was when new. Figured there must be a reason they manufactured it that way.

OK, my Fiskars collection is up to 4 now.

Got what I guess is the original "Splitting Axe", ('meh...too light...') the short X25 ('meh...better, but still too light'), the all black 5# Super Splitting Axe (impressed...Fiskars got it right as far as splitting, but the haft has a lot of biteback!), and just picked up a 8# Isocore maul yesterday.

Didn't swing the Isocore too much today, but it split every piece of the roughly dozen White Oak rounds I aimed it at in 2 swings or less, which surprised me. I'll have to swing it side by side with my old 8lb maul, which I'm a little fond of. But the lack of biteback through the handle was impressive...

How are the fishers holding up?

my best maul was a sears craftsman 6# maul. I removed the paint on the wedge and polished it.

Swung the Fiskars 8lb IsoCore maul today head to head with "Ol Reliable", my 8lb traditional splitting maul. The victims were 40+ inch Red Oak rounds, 16" long. I started out with Ol' Reliable at the stump, then went to the Fiskars to bust up 2 rounds, then switched back to the traditional for 2 rounds, and continued that rotation. That way the Fiskars was not always splitting the smaller round, and vice versa.

I started off with "Ol' Reliable", then the Fiskars. It was close competition. Both performed their intended duties well. It truly was close competition, but as I busted the big rounds up with the 2 mauls, a definite winner emerged...

Each time, the Fiskars just seemed to pop the rounds better. More one strike splits. Fewer swings needed to pop the rounds. The Fiskars never stuck itself in the wood, not once. Traditional maul would sometimes stick hard, using up energy to free it that could otherwise be used for swinging. The traditional maul would pop the rounds, but frequently would require a restrike to fully get through the strings. The Fiskars seemed to pop the rounds apart with more authority, and required fewer restrikes to tear the strings and fully separate the pieces. I guess it has to do with the geometry of the wedge curve.

But, it's not perfect, not invincible. Hard, knotty areas where the traditional maul just bounced off, the Fiskars just bounced off as well.

Like I said, it was close, but the Fiskars is just a little bit better, at least on this big Red Oak.

Swung the Fiskars 8lb IsoCore maul today head to head with "Ol Reliable", my 8lb traditional splitting maul. The victims were 40+ inch Red Oak rounds, 16" long. I started out with Ol' Reliable at the stump, then went to the Fiskars to bust up 2 rounds, then switched back to the traditional for 2 rounds, and continued that rotation. That way the Fiskars was not always splitting the smaller round, and vice versa.

I started off with "Ol' Reliable", then the Fiskars. It was close competition. Both performed their intended duties well. It truly was close competition, but as I busted the big rounds up with the 2 mauls, a definite winner emerged...

Each time, the Fiskars just seemed to pop the rounds better. More one strike splits. Fewer swings needed to pop the rounds. The Fiskars never stuck itself in the wood, not once. Traditional maul would sometimes stick hard, using up energy to free it that could otherwise be used for swinging. The traditional maul would pop the rounds, but frequently would require a restrike to fully get through the strings. The Fiskars seemed to pop the rounds apart with more authority, and required fewer restrikes to tear the strings and fully separate the pieces. I guess it has to do with the geometry of the wedge curve.

But, it's not perfect, not invincible. Hard, knotty areas where the traditional maul just bounced off, the Fiskars just bounced off as well.

Like I said, it was close, but the Fiskars is just a little bit better, at least on this big Red Oak.
Sounds about right on with my experiences. I believe the handle absorbs shock a bit better also.

Still use my X27 that I bought back in 2012.

I didn't know how tough they were and bought 2 from Sears which included free shipping. This was when Sears was in malls and was about dead, gasping its final breath. They were $35 each. After using the first one for about 5 years I sold it for more then I paid. The second one still looks new. I don't use it as much as I once did, but still the best splitting axe I have ever used.

With all the hype I have read about this thing on here over the years I broke down last year and finally bought one. I gave it an honest try, and now it just hangs on a post in my basement. I bought a Stihl splitting maul and that is what goes to the woods with me now.

Back