FL Maple branch darkened and offshoot at trunk concern

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DotL

Reaction score
Hello I would like some opinions on my Florida Maple tree. I’m not really sure if I need to be concerned about the darkening of a branch and a former stump on the tree.

I noticed what appeared to be 2 spots on a branch without bark then I wondered if dark spots on the branch are normal. It turned out one of the exposed bark spots was an eaten pinecone but the other is exposed bark. There is one other branch that also has some darkening too but no exposed bark.

The other area of concern is at the bottom. There was another small tree (like an offshoot) growing out of the tree. I asked my husband to trim it. He trimmed it flat which now I belive wasn’t a good idea as I think it should have been a slanted cut. Eventually the cut offshoot started to decay and part fell off. While my husband was mowing he kicked the remaining part of the stump so it is now flat. However, I’m now wondering if this could affect the root system of the tree.

Also, I included 2 pics to show the overall health of the tree looks alive and green.

I would appreciate any advice on if I need to do anything for the tree or if it looks normal.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1-CloseUpOfBranchSpot.JPG
    1-CloseUpOfBranchSpot.JPG
    474.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2-OverallBranch.JPG
    2-OverallBranch.JPG
    754.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3-DarkenedBranchOnRight.jpg
    3-DarkenedBranchOnRight.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 4-WithStump.jpg