Flowering plum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I haven't milled anything in about 6 months but last week I finally got down to the tree loppers yard where I do most of my milling to see about starting up again. Since I stopped milling back in April the bigger band mill (located outside) need some parts replaced (I was working on these in my home shop) and then a realignment, and so had not been used since I left it. The tarp cover had blown off and so it had been exposed to the weather and parts of it were getting rusty and of course the battery was flat. Will be getting onto this mill possibly later this week. The smaller band mill had been used (for a couple of hours - it has an hour meter on it so I know what the usage pattern is) but after breaking a blade they had stopped using it as they were busy clearing up winter stone blow downs etc and were one man short. So lots for me to attend to when I go back late this week.

In the meantime I managed to pick up this small flowering plum. Its' not very big, about 5ft long but the root ball might have something interesting in it.
I'm mainly interested in getting some craft wood pieces out of it eg handles and kitchen implements,
The root ball has a fair bit of dirt and rocks around it that will need cleaning up. Instead of risking it on a BSM I'll probably just put an old chain on one of my saws and attempt a break up with that.
FloweringfPlum.jpg

I love the idea of milling my own timber, around here it is mostly spruce for casual use like making pallets for fire wood or repairing the shed. I have permission to use any root felled / storm tilted spruce on my neighbors property and there goes down one or two spruce tree every second autumn/winter storm.

The only thing I don't like about my chainsaw mill is that it takes away about 10mm of wood every cut, a band saw mill thats like 2mm...

I haven't milled anything in about 6 months but last week I finally got down to the tree loppers yard where I do most of my milling to see about starting up again. Since I stopped milling back in April the bigger band mill (located outside) need some parts replaced (I was working on these in my home shop) and then a realignment, and so had not been used since I left it. The tarp cover had blown off and so it had been exposed to the weather and parts of it were getting rusty and of course the battery was flat. Will be getting onto this mill possibly later this week. The smaller band mill had been used (for a couple of hours - it has an hour meter on it so I know what the usage pattern is) but after breaking a blade they had stopped using it as they were busy clearing up winter stone blow downs etc and were one man short. So lots for me to attend to when I go back late this week.
crisomela della menta
In the meantime I managed to pick up this small flowering plum. Its' not very big, about 5ft long but the root ball might have something interesting in it
I'm mainly interested in getting some craft wood pieces out of it eg handles and kitchen implements,
The root ball has a fair bit of dirt and rocks around it that will need cleaning up. Instead of risking it on a BSM I'll probably just put an old chain on one of my saws and attempt a break up with that.
View attachment 1024734
Great, Really like your idea.

Back