Foley Belsaw 308 grinder horizontal scale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired an old grinder (no more hand filing!) and after some fiddling got it setup and running very well. However I'm a little confused by the horizontal scale. I've found an old manual and have done google searches, but haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer. The manual basic setup for grinding chisel chain states you should set it forward or backward to 1.25 (depending on right or left cutter), but that setup is for standard cross cutting grinds and doesn't go into any additional detal. Most of the cutting I do is ripping with a dedicated ripping chain. Top plate angle is 10 degrees, head tilt is at 30 degrees on the scale (60 to the chain). Would 1.25 horizontal scale settings be appropriate for a ripping chain as well?

On chain the top of the tooth digs and lifts the chip up but itis the side of tooth that severs that chip. by moving the wheel hoz. you can make a steeper( sharper) side wall to a limited degree. If you look carefully at a new full chisel chain as compared to what a chopsaw style grinder leaves you will see the difference.
something to play with- flopping the head all the way over ( well just off the depth gauge) and repositioning the wheel further from center line and reshaping the wheel so as to not have a paper thin cutting edge on the top plate and not creating a huge over hang can result in a bit better side wall grind that is not so obtuse. Lot of fiddling.

On chain the top of the tooth digs and lifts the chip up but itis the side of tooth that severs that chip. by moving the wheel hoz. you can make a steeper( sharper) side wall to a limited degree. If you look carefully at a new full chisel chain as compared to what a chopsaw style grinder leaves you will see the difference.
something to play with- flopping the head all the way over ( well just off the depth gauge) and repositioning the wheel further from center line and reshaping the wheel so as to not have a paper thin cutting edge on the top plate and not creating a huge over hang can result in a bit better side wall grind that is not so obtuse. Lot of fiddling.
Are you saying set the grinder up to make the shape of cutter you want on the chain? Who would have thought. ;)

Back