Forget the Presidental Debate, McCulloch 10-10 vs Homelite Super XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My SXL seems to be happy with a 20", handles it just fine. XL-12 is better with a 16"

Notice few of those saws had 18" bars? I dont think they were that common in the US years ago.

Homelite is better!

I've got to say that the Super XL wins this contest hands down. The 10-10's, Pro-Mac 55's, Promac 700's, etc... are all powerful saws and when they are running good, they are fine. In my experience though, once they start acting up, it's all over. I've run several well used 10-10's that were hard to start cold, frequently vapor locked and in general pissed me off. My Homelites on the other hand never vapor lock (but they do boil fuel in the tank!) and always start reliably hot or cold. In all honesty I think the difference comes from the induction system. The Mac's are piston ported with the carb right above the cylinder. On the Homelite's a reed valve system is used where the saw sucks fuel through the crankcase and this seems to be far more reliable. Once the Mac's wear down a bit, they tend to spit lots of fuel out of the top of the carb instead of sucking it in. Just a thought and my not so humble opinion(s)!!

I vote for my Super XL. the power delivery was awesome. It felt like a big diesel.

It's sat in a bucket now, dead and siezed. I miss it already. I'm starting to seriously consider trying to get it back to life. how hard can it be?

I vote for my Super XL. the power delivery was awesome. It felt like a big diesel.

It's sat in a bucket now, dead and siezed. I miss it already. I'm starting to seriously consider trying to get it back to life. how hard can it be?
It's not very hard to get it back to life. You can do it yourself, but only if you want to do it. The correct spelling is "seized' not "siezed".

Search this site and believe me, you can learn exactly how to save your saw and run it again tomorrow, but only if you want to save it. That is your choice.

I used to own an XL-76, and that thin was a real pain in the Arse. Hot or cold it was a real pain to get it started. I even replaced the Points and Condenser, put in a new Carburetor Repair Kit, made No Difference.
I have a Mac 10-10 Automatic, that my Great Uncle Bought new in 1968, Forty Years ago. It used to have a the Starter on the Right Hand Side. It used to be a hard starting Saw, until I noticed that the Magneto was not square with the Fly Wheel. I adjusted it so that the top and bottom parts of the Magneto, are 0.010" from the Magnets of the Fly Wheel. There was only 2 other problems I had with the 10-01. One was my fault, I didn't get the Clutch tightened properly, and the Clutch came loose, and wobbled on the Shaft, chewing out the Key Way in the Crank Shaft.
instead of getting it fixed, I had a Fly Wheel, and a Starter for the Left Hans Side, and just switched it over. I also had a Chain Brake, so I put it on as well.
The other problem, I had was that the Treads for the Spark Plug got worn, and it blew out the Spark Plug. I got an adapter kit to restore threads for Spark Plugs, and installed the piece, put in a New Spark Plug, and it's back in my every day line up.
Great handling Chain Saw. I love it. The Homelite XL-76 couldn't even come close to the 10-10. That XL-76 Soured me on Homelites. Bruce.

I've got to say that the Super XL wins this contest hands down. The 10-10's, Pro-Mac 55's, Promac 700's, etc... are all powerful saws and when they are running good, they are fine. In my experience though, once they start acting up, it's all over. I've run several well used 10-10's that were hard to start cold, frequently vapor locked and in general pissed me off. My Homelites on the other hand never vapor lock (but they do boil fuel in the tank!) and always start reliably hot or cold. In all honesty I think the difference comes from the induction system. The Mac's are piston ported with the carb right above the cylinder. On the Homelite's a reed valve system is used where the saw sucks fuel through the crankcase and this seems to be far more reliable. Once the Mac's wear down a bit, they tend to spit lots of fuel out of the top of the carb instead of sucking it in. Just a thought and my not so humble opinion(s)!!

Mine does that too me when I am trying to tune it. I think the ring is getting a bit worn. That saw is a drama queen, you' can't tune it unless the air filter is off, and the filter had better be SPOTLESS when you put it back on. Mine is a huge pain to start unless I prime it with a bit of mixed, then it usually pops in 3-4 pulls. I think its time for a carb. kit.

A few weeks ago I started my SXL COLD on ONE pull. Choke. Throttle lock, pull, choke off, warm up and cut. I ran it again this morning, at 39 degrees it needed a bit more coaxing but still got the job done in fine style. Unlike my Poulan hedge trimmer and pole pruner I had to coax to life later on this morning. :greenchainsaw:

I know this is an old thread...but I thought I'd give my $.02 (before Obama taxes it away-Ha!!!). Wouldn't a better comparison be between a 1-10 or 2-10 and an XL12? They're about the same displacement and age. The SXL's a few more cc's than the macs in question, while the 10-10's a newer design than the SXL (although the same displacement as an XL12 or the earlier x-10 saws). Splittin' hairs I guess.

Either way...I'd go with the XL12/SXL-AO. The 10-10's got more chain speed, but it's a little lacking in the grunt for my taste. A SXL with the pyramid reed setup does rev much better than the flat reed XL12, and is closer to the 10-10 for chain speed. I've experimented with running an 8 pin rim on the SXL-AO, which brings it closer to the 10-10 in chain speed and powerband.

No contest as to which is less cranky and more reliable though. XL12/SXL-AO all the way!

Blue/White XL12's are much prettier too!!! :clap:

I know this is an old post but.....I have had no luck with the XLs maybe they are just old but I get them running good but in the woods they just die...I have found old 1010s(one was outside and full of water but after some work I got it freed up) and they cut like mad and the only thing that pisses me off is the stupid oiler that is a bad design but you COULD get them cheap(before Bucking Billy Ray) file the insane burr off the bar and try running motor oil for chain lube....all of mine can sit for months and always start in 1 or 2 pulls.....

I did have a 330 Homelite follow me home and after replacing all the black gunk they called rubber at some point long ago and that darn thing is a winner....will have to try the latest XL12 that hitched a ride home;)...maybe I'll be happily surprised....that would be kool because the XL12s are just a Kool looking saw!

I know this is an old post but.....I have had no luck with the XLs maybe they are just old but I get them running good but in the woods they just die...I have found old 1010s(one was outside and full of water but after some work I got it freed up) and they cut like mad and the only thing that pisses me off is the stupid oiler that is a bad design but you COULD get them cheap(before Bucking Billy Ray) file the insane burr off the bar and try running motor oil for chain lube....all of mine can sit for months and always start in 1 or 2 pulls.....
For many years, I discounted the Homelite brand saws until I owned one. I bought an XL-1, and thought nothing more of it as a hanger queen, until one day one of my small Shindaiwa saws decided not to start. I picked up the XL-1, and after spending a little effort to get it running, and put it to work for a whole afternoon. It worked like a charm!
Now, I am the proud owner of the XL-1, and a Homelite XP-Powermaster 1000, and I love them. I haven't done much with the Powermaster 1000, but it is a good looking runner, and one of these days, I will have the kind of wood that will require a 100 cc saw.
So, for me, no more looking down my nose at the Homelite saws.

Attachments

• Homelite_XL1_LH_2_sm.JPG
    Homelite_XL1_LH_2_sm.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_lh_s.JPG
    Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_lh_s.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_rh_s.JPG
    Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_rh_s.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 0
For many years, I discounted the Homelite brand saws until I owned one. I bought an XL-1, and thought nothing more of it as a hanger queen, until one day one of my small Shindaiwa saws decided not to start. I picked up the XL-1, and after spending a little effort to get it running, and put it to work for a whole afternoon. It worked like a charm!
Now, I am the proud owner of the XL-1, and a Homelite XP-Powermaster 1000, and I love them. I haven't done much with the Powermaster 1000, but it is a good looking runner, and one of these days, I will have the kind of wood that will require a 100 cc saw.
So, for me, no more looking down my nose at the Homelite saws.
People around here still use the little XL saws for trimming, including me sometimes.

Back