Frankenstein 266/272xp project. Trouble identifying flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylinbeaver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently purchased a project saw off marketplace being advertised as a 272xp. Was missing parts and not running, but couldn't turn it down for the price they were asking. After digging into the saw, I have been getting stumped trying to identify certain parts and since the ID plate is missing, it has really been tough. So far I believe the saw is a 266 chassis with a 272 top end. Cylinder is a 52 ZN 22 MAHLE. New piston with single ring. Saw does have the two piece ignition. Top cover was a 272xp cover, but starter side screw hole didn't line up.(Hence the reason I believe it's a 266 chassis). I have drilled and taped a hole for the cover and fits great. Metal chain brake is in great shape, not sure if its original to this saw. Also has the long carb bolts from a 272 and a new aftermarket carb. But here's the part that is really confusing me. The crank Is coarse thread, and the flywheel has the part number 100 456 00. I have pulled parts diagrams for every 266 and 272 I can find and have not been able to figure out what flywheel this is. If i could identify the flywheel, it should tell me what crank it has. Ebay has a few listed as a 266 OEM flywheel, but the parts diagrams don't list that part number. The second part that is confusing me is the other numbers on the flywheel. The few I seen on ebay have the same AM./114 E>, but have a different number on the end than the one I have. Mine has L1, but I've seen the number 4, and also the number 3. Are those timed different? So far I've had a blast tinkering with this saw and i got it running like a scalded dog and really don't mind that it's a frankenstien pieced together saw. Broke a starter pawl spring and that's the reason why I've pulled the flywheel and am trying to figure out what flywheel I have. Starter pawls are pressed in and the price of a complete functioning flywheel is around the same cost as new pawls and springs. Figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare flywheel anyway. So to simplify my long post, my main questions are:
Is part # 100 456 00 a 266 flywheel?

Will matching flywheel part numbers work even thought the second set of numbers are different?

What does the AM./114 E > L1 mean?

Appreciate any help and info anybody has to offer. I'm new here and have been researching and learning TONS of stuff from this site! Gonna attach a few photos of the old beast so you can see what I've been working on. She has seen better days. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Snapchat-350098058.jpg
    Snapchat-350098058.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Snapchat-710438077.jpg
    Snapchat-710438077.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230413_131412.jpg
    20230413_131412.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230428_231138.jpg
    20230428_231138.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230429_000115.jpg
    20230429_000115.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 0
There is no 266 specific flywheel. 61 and 266 saws used the same flywheel and two coil ignition system. 61 and 266 cranks are the same as well. Coarse thread is pre 1986. Also, the part number is on the back of the flywheel. Match up those numbers and you’ll be good to go.
That would explain why I couldn't find nothing matching the 10045600 number lol. Appreciate that. I will check the back side for a number. So the saw is pre 86, or atleast the crank Is. 👍🏻

Somebody slapped a 272 top end on a 61 carcase- or maybe even a 162 carcase.
Hmmmm. What would make you think it was a 162 case over a 266 case? Or do they share the same case? Good news is, I don't mind if the saw is a rat rod. Lol

Checked flywheel again. No part number on the underneath side. Only thing I found was the letter A and the number 4. Attached some photos

Attachments

• 20230429_092817.jpg
    20230429_092817.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230429_092821.jpg
    20230429_092821.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230429_092836.jpg
    20230429_092836.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Hmmmm. What would make you think it was a 162 case over a 266 case? Or do they share the same case? Good news is, I don't mind if the saw is a rat rod. Lol
Cases are effectively the same, and interchangeable for all dual coil saws, there are minor differences(filter base gained a bolt on later saws etc) but functionally they all swap.

Checked flywheel again. No part number on the underneath side. Only thing I found was the letter A and the number 4. Attached some photos
Interesting. All my 61/266 saws had part number on back of the flywheel. I’m going off memory which isn’t 100% reliable mind you. I’ll get you a part number here shortly.

266SE flywheel part number:
View attachment 1078667
Appreciate the help! So flywheels with pressed in starter pawls and screw in pawls are interchangeable, as long as it's for the 2 piece ignition coil? If thats true, I will make sure to keep a eye out for the newer style with the screws. Save me some trouble of pulling the flywheel again if I break a pawl. 👍🏻

Appreciate the help! So flywheels with pressed in starter pawls and screw in pawls are interchangeable, as long as it's for the 2 piece ignition coil? If thats true, I will make sure to keep a eye out for the newer style with the screws. Save me some trouble of pulling the flywheel again if I break a pawl. 👍🏻
Yes the two coil flywheels are interchangeable.

Recently purchased a project saw off marketplace being advertised as a 272xp. Was missing parts and not running, but couldn't turn it down for the price they were asking. After digging into the saw, I have been getting stumped trying to identify certain parts and since the ID plate is missing, it has really been tough. So far I believe the saw is a 266 chassis with a 272 top end. Cylinder is a 52 ZN 22 MAHLE. New piston with single ring. Saw does have the two piece ignition. Top cover was a 272xp cover, but starter side screw hole didn't line up.(Hence the reason I believe it's a 266 chassis). I have drilled and taped a hole for the cover and fits great. Metal chain brake is in great shape, not sure if its original to this saw. Also has the long carb bolts from a 272 and a new aftermarket carb. But here's the part that is really confusing me. The crank Is coarse thread, and the flywheel has the part number 100 456 00. I have pulled parts diagrams for every 266 and 272 I can find and have not been able to figure out what flywheel this is. If i could identify the flywheel, it should tell me what crank it has. Ebay has a few listed as a 266 OEM flywheel, but the parts diagrams don't list that part number. The second part that is confusing me is the other numbers on the flywheel. The few I seen on ebay have the same AM./114 E>, but have a different number on the end than the one I have. Mine has L1, but I've seen the number 4, and also the number 3. Are those timed different? So far I've had a blast tinkering with this saw and i got it running like a scalded dog and really don't mind that it's a frankenstien pieced together saw. Broke a starter pawl spring and that's the reason why I've pulled the flywheel and am trying to figure out what flywheel I have. Starter pawls are pressed in and the price of a complete functioning flywheel is around the same cost as new pawls and springs. Figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare flywheel anyway. So to simplify my long post, my main questions are:
Is part # 100 456 00 a 266 flywheel?

Will matching flywheel part numbers work even thought the second set of numbers are different?

What does the AM./114 E > L1 mean?

Appreciate any help and info anybody has to offer. I'm new here and have been researching and learning TONS of stuff from this site! Gonna attach a few photos of the old beast so you can see what I've been working on. She has seen better days. Thanks again!
I am working on about the same thing, for the life og me i hav e not been able to figure out the wiring on the 2 coil ignition, cannot find a wiring diagram

Back