fried lemon crunch cake donuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What's that old saying? When life gives you lemons...

We made a blueberry pie yesterday and that's half gone now. With the success of the walnut crunch chocolate cake donuts from teh other , I thought about how to make a lemon crunch. Time for some planning.

Starting out with making the batter for about 10-12, I made the mistake of adding TRIPLE the sugar! Ooops! I was going to toss it and start again. Gina said, "Just make a triple batch." Well, you don't have to twist my arm :)

With the necessary adjustments in the bowl, it had to be quick work to get them done and in the fryer. After all, baking powder waits for no one.
Once all formed it was a matter of clock watching, to fry four at a time. Watching Gina glaze the donuts it got me thinking, "What else goes with lemon?" Coconut come to mind right away. And Google come with all sorts of weird suggestions too, so I nixed those. Coconut it is. And maybe we'll try just one with graham crumbs.

All done and the mess cleaned up, it occurred to me we have a box of whipping cream in the fridge that was allocated for another edible treat later this week. That can wait. Out comes the whipping cream and in the mixer it goes. Then in a piping bag. Soon after that, it was in my face. :sweet:

20210801_162724-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_162732-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_162739-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_162908-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_170345-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_180951-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg20210801_181101-lemon-crunch-cake-donuts.jpg

Cake Donut recipe:
Sift into a mixing bowl.
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t salt
1 T baking power
Add in cinnamon and nutmeg to suit your taste for plain donuts. For the lemon donuts I added 1 T lemon rind.

Next, add
2 T barely melted butter or margarine (not hot)
Blend butter into dry ingredients until crumbly.

Next, blend
1/2 cup milk
1 egg beaten
Add wet to dry ingredients and form a loose dough.

Turn onto a floured surface and knead a few times. Now the dough is ready to preare however you are going to shape them. For ring donuts, flatten to 1/4" thick and cut them out. For crunch donuts, I weigh the batter about 2 oz (50g). Same size as a #16 ice cream scoop also does the job. Shape the crunch donuts abotu 1/4 inch thick.

Fryer should be at 370-375ºF. Drop donuts in and fry for 1 min 30 sec then flip and fry for same amount of time. Take out of oil onto a paper surface to help absorb oil. Then leave plain of dip in a glaze. For lemon crunch we added a bit of lemon rind and lemon juice to the glaze. No set amount, whatever works for you.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back