From free to making money??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this site, specifically this 101 forum, was for noobs like me to get help. Are the majority of you saying I should give up because its a profession that ends in failure, or because you don't know the type of person I am? I'm willing to put in the work, and learn everything I can. I want to give my daughter a better life than if I were to go flip burgers. The chance to make money I saw while doing all this free work seems to good to pass up. I have removed trees that I should have walked away from because of the amount of work involved for free. If I didn't need the firewood to help cut down on the propane bill, and if I lived closer than the 30 miles to town, I might have walked away. I can't understand why there is so much negativity. I can't get hired on at a tree company, so I thought taking some small jobs so I could start learning would be good. What am I missing guys?

Dude, we love the newb's (noobs), we just want you to slow down and seriously think about what you are asking.
We don't want you to get hurt or worse.
This is not a 'tree climbing school',,101 is not an excuse to ask a stupid or confrontational (tree guy word) question. Well, stupid questions are ok if they dont start with, '.............
That is the nicest I can be.
Jeff

Right on

Dude, we love the newb's (noobs), we just want you to slow down and seriously think about what you are asking.
We don't want you to get hurt or worse.
This is not a 'tree climbing school',,101 is not an excuse to ask a stupid or confrontational (tree guy word) question. Well, stupid questions are ok if they dont start with, '.............
That is the nicest I can be.
Jeff

I appreciate the feedback, will get the pole saw first, will still get the spikes for later on cause from what i read the $40 isn't a bad price. I have looked at others, and they get pricey so the $40 wont kill me. I will take it slow, and I surely wont be cutting anything near any power lines, will call another company for those. One of these days I will have enough experience, but for now im just diving in and letting the chips fly. Thanks.

Besides here, where else are you fraudently advertising that you are a tree service? I mean you ain't even got a pole saw!

Fraudulently? I'm no criminal

Besides here, where else are you fraudently advertising that you are a tree service? I mean you ain't even got a pole saw!

Jeff, I used NEKS Tree Svc as my username, because I haven't picked a company name yet. That won't even come for a few months, when I'm fully legal and insured. Im no fraud, and I have only lined up one employee so far. I have been cutting wood for people, removing 2 trees (a large Oak, 1 Elm) for a soldier deployed, and removed some trees from a horse pasture. This gave me about 2 cords of wood for this winter, and 3 cords of Hedge for next year. I got such a great response from people needing trees removed, I saw I could charge money for removing all the trees that are just a pain in my as* to do for free, thats why I used Tree Svc in my username. In 2-3 mths I will be fully legal and insured, but still won't be working around power lines until I'm no longer "green". Im not a criminal, I'm just someone trying to learn how to properly do some things I haven't done yet. That's all. If you think I'm a fraud, well, you don't know me, and you don't know what I've done in my life, so all I can say is judge all you want. I won't do the same to you. I can tell your being semi confrontational, because you might actually think I'm just some kid. I was born in 81, was overseas in the Navy while all my friends were at prom (went in at 17). Its not like I'm some guy who just bought a saw and is planning on charging an arm and a leg, im going to work pretty cheap until I know what I'm doing. Im just going to cover expenses and a little extra to put towards equipment. I want to learn as I go, thats how I operate.

Someone wrote to get a job working for a tree svc before going solo on another thread

Well, none of them are hiring, so my only choice to get the money I see waiting is to go get it. GIT-R-DONE!

Thank you sir for your service.
I wish you much success in your wood cutting.
Please remember safety first.

Thank you

Thank you sir for your service.
I wish you much success in your wood cutting.
Please remember safety first.

Thanks crazyhorse, I learned loading bombs and missiles to blow up camel jockeys safety first, or people died, im taking this just as serious. im not some hot head that thinks hes gonna take on any tree, any time, just tryin to make a buck. I saw this was your first post, my first post was yesterday. I have read some very informational stuff on here. I'm making this a profession. Trying not to get discouraged by the guys who are coming off a little harsh, but I guess they are just trying to see if im some idiot or not. Not too sure yet, will see.

I think you are going to have a hard time getting insurance with no experience. If you have an employee that means workman's comp and disability too. If you do find an insurer it will probably be way more than you make. Just sayin you got more thinkin to do.

I think you are going to have a hard time getting insurance with no experience. If you have an employee that means workman's comp and disability too. If you do find an insurer it will probably be way more than you make. Just sayin you got more thinkin to do.

Thx for the info Grouchy Old Man, I plan on having a steady flow or work before I get insured, for now I just plan on weekends, when the work exceeds what a full time job would pay me then i will go full time with it, from now to early spring it seems I can get some decent trimming/pruning work while the trees are dormant. I was going to sign on an independent contractor, a friend of mine, just put him on paper so he has to cover all his own stuff. He knows what I'm building, and needs some extra cash so it will work out good for him as long as he is making something. When I get insured I'm going to have $1k aside for coverage, and pay that up front if I need to. I didn't know they consider experience for the policy, so thanks for letting me know that.

My job in the Navy equaled one mistake = big explosion and people died, so attention to detail and safety are at the forefront of anything I do. Its instilled into me if that makes any sense. Thank you for the information Grouchy.

My job in the Navy equaled one mistake = big explosion and people died, so attention to detail and safety are at the forefront of anything I do. Its instilled into me if that makes any sense.

That may be so...but someone trained you. And if it was anything like my experience working for the Feds, they trained you exhaustively. What I mean to say is; you don't know what you don't know and your Navy skills don't automatically translate. But it might work. Best of luck.

Your right

That may be so...but someone trained you. And if it was anything like my experience working for the Feds, they trained you exhaustively. What I mean to say is; you don't know what you don't know and your Navy skills don't automatically translate. But it might work. Best of luck.

Exhaustively sometimes 20 hrs to 72 hours before getting to leave work, your right. I will be looking up hazards, how to avoid them, what to look for, general safety, etc. right after i post this. I believe knowledge is power. Thank you newsawtooth

Wow, I still stick with my first bit of advice!

Your risking your neck and your future business, think about who you are and how you have been taught. There is a right way to do this and a wrong one and if you take the wrong way the first time chances are a few years down the road you will be limited if not doomed (your business future).

If your going to hire someone they are a groundy, not a contractor. I am a contractor, I do the hiring! I also do the work but contractors get the jobs subcontractors are hired to do some of the work if need be.

I would say your real liability and workers compensation cost will be $3k plus to get started and may be based on last years income (which will be unavailable from tree work)

The first step in a legit business is applying for a tax card or business ID, (when you name your business)

To be a real tree service you will need some small and some large equipment, pay your taxes, save your extra, buy what you can, and find a tree guy to drag brush for.

Good luck, Thank you for your time and service!!!!

I went through all that for your good, not mine, since I have been helping, hiring tree men for years and am just now starting to figure doing my part of some jobs on my own.

I just graduated from 2 years of college. I took urban forestry and arboriculture. Let me tell ya, I know the basics on how to get a job done properly and safely but what I have learned is their are things that you learn as you go along. Like how diff species react to certain cuts at a certain time of year. The fact that someone wants to just pick up a chainsaw and say well, it can't be that hard, a bunch of farmer hillbillies and tree huggers can do it so can I! After two years their were many guys that needed a lot more training. I wish you luck with whatever you do but man I think ya gotta slow down and realize its not just a job it's very dangerous and doesn't really pay all that well lol. Get some education, more than just reading threads here. Cheers

These guys know what they're talking about NEK, and they're not telling near as much as they actually know, they're just trying to point you in the right direction and get you to give each step you take serious consideration.

Ambition is a good thing, there are a lot of things that you don't know about this sort of work. Felling trees along pasture fields, and dismantling trees around people's houses are worlds apart, both in difficulty, and in skill, time, cost, and equipment required to do it safely and efficiently, and even being able to complete the job at all.

Cutting thorn trees out of a fence line is child's play compared to safely removing say a 36" DBH Oak that's hanging over a $2000,000.00 house without destroying the house and/or the yard in the process. Even if you did; How would you remove something that big, or half that size, once it's down? The H.O. isn't going to have the patience to wait for you to cut it into firewood and haul it home a p.u. truck load at a time.

I know stuff like this sounds knit picking and is discouraging to hear when you're eager to make money, but it's stuff you will have to deal with once you start the actual work.

Just be aware that there are things you haven't considered and they will catch you with your pants around your ankles sooner or later if you let your ambition bite off more than you can chew.

You will need other people, and LOTS of equipment to make a go in the tree business. If you could make a go of it doing the easy stuff everybody would be doing it. Tree services make their money doing what others can't do.

Wow, I still stick with my first bit of advice!

Your risking your neck and your future business, think about who you are and how you have been taught. There is a right way to do this and a wrong one and if you take the wrong way the first time chances are a few years down the road you will be limited if not doomed (your business future).

If your going to hire someone they are a groundy, not a contractor. I am a contractor, I do the hiring! I also do the work but contractors get the jobs subcontractors are hired to do some of the work if need be.

I would say your real liability and workers compensation cost will be $3k plus to get started and may be based on last years income (which will be unavailable from tree work)

The first step in a legit business is applying for a tax card or business ID, (when you name your business)

To be a real tree service you will need some small and some large equipment, pay your taxes, save your extra, buy what you can, and find a tree guy to drag brush for.

Good luck, Thank you for your time and service!!!!

I went through all that for your good, not mine, since I have been helping, hiring tree men for years and am just now starting to figure doing my part of some jobs on my own.

Thank you for all of the advice, as I read the replies im slowly seeing i need to save more of the money i have coming in and put it towards equipement and safety gear. I will also save up and get the insurance before I even think about bringing in another person. Thanks again, and my service was my pleasure.

Thank you

I just graduated from 2 years of college. I took urban forestry and arboriculture. Let me tell ya, I know the basics on how to get a job done properly and safely but what I have learned is their are things that you learn as you go along. Like how diff species react to certain cuts at a certain time of year. The fact that someone wants to just pick up a chainsaw and say well, it can't be that hard, a bunch of farmer hillbillies and tree huggers can do it so can I! After two years their were many guys that needed a lot more training. I wish you luck with whatever you do but man I think ya gotta slow down and realize its not just a job it's very dangerous and doesn't really pay all that well lol. Get some education, more than just reading threads here. Cheers

Thanks youngbuck, I am realizing i need to slow down, buy all the safety equipment, etc before I start. Im going to save what I have coming in, and get that ball rolling so that im more safe than just showing up with safety glasses. Im reading up, reading all I can on other sites, .gov and .fed for example, on more details than I knew before the post. NOw I can drive by a tree and see the limbs that are growing down, the limbs that are growing almost the size of the dominant limb that need cut etc, but I wont claim to know it all because im a noob, im just going about it the way i have life, learning the hard way, but i am realizing its more dangerous than i thought, and posting here and taking in all the info has me realziing i need to slow down more than i was before I posted. Thank you, and cheers as well!

Thank you

These guys know what they're talking about NEK, and they're not telling near as much as they actually know, they're just trying to point you in the right direction and get you to give each step you take serious consideration.

Ambition is a good thing, there are a lot of things that you don't know about this sort of work. Felling trees along pasture fields, and dismantling trees around people's houses are worlds apart, both in difficulty, and in skill, time, cost, and equipment required to do it safely and efficiently, and even being able to complete the job at all.

Cutting thorn trees out of a fence line is child's play compared to safely removing say a 36" DBH Oak that's hanging over a $2000,000.00 house without destroying the house and/or the yard in the process. Even if you did; How would you remove something that big, or half that size, once it's down? The H.O. isn't going to have the patience to wait for you to cut it into firewood and haul it home a p.u. truck load at a time.

I know stuff like this sounds knit picking and is discouraging to hear when you're eager to make money, but it's stuff you will have to deal with once you start the actual work.

Just be aware that there are things you haven't considered and they will catch you with your pants around your ankles sooner or later if you let your ambition bite off more than you can chew.

You will need other people, and LOTS of equipment to make a go in the tree business. If you could make a go of it doing the easy stuff everybody would be doing it. Tree services make their money doing what others can't do.

Thank you, and I'm realizing that i need tons more equipment, your right, can't just do it with a truck and trailer that can haul 4 cords at a time in. I am getting a used motor to build a chipper, i have a trailer and i can weld up the mounts, and etc to get the chipper done. I had a friend in Florida that built one, a neighbor, he used a 4 cylinder diesel engine and his chipper kicked some ass, so im thinking i will duplicate it. Might not be pretty, but most of the shield will be painted so it will look pretty clean. THe chipper and stump grinder are the big ticket items i gotta get. The pole saw is coming soon, i have a harness on the way and a fall arrester will be ordered in a couple weeks. The more I'm learning off site the more im seeing the need for more equipment, and more money. Its not more than I can chew though, i just wont be starting until i get all the safety gear. Can't leave my baby without a father because I was too eager. I appreciate all the advice thats been given, im taking it all in, and trying to put my best foot forward in how i got about things. I have my EIN and soon will be incorporated, but im still not moving forward just yet. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back