Fuel coming from muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 066stihl. The carb has never been worked on. Fuel is mixed at 32:1, an when I try to start fuel drips out of muffler. 655 poulan pro doing the same thing but carb has been cleaned by so called mechanic that could not get it running. Any reccomendations ?

Alot, don't count. Usually pull others over until they pop then take the choke off but these don't do that.

Alot, don't count. Usually pull others over until they pop then take the choke off but these don't do that.

If it doesn't pop after a couple pulls on choke, stop, you're just flooding it. Take it off choke and hold the throttle wide open and give it a few more tries. When that fails, figure out what's wrong... start by investigating the plug.

Ethanol or too much all of a sudden will warp the Diaphram in the carbs causing the Needles to Lift out of the seats.Seen it happen on even New Equipment.

On the MS660/066 when the saw is cold, if you pull it three times with the choke on, turn the choke off before further pulling. For some reason mine don't seem to noticeably pop while starting like all my other Stihls. I had trouble flooding it when I first got it until I started using that technique.

How true. Happened to me today with a brand new engine that I rebuilt from scratch. It's very easy to flood Stihls, especially when the carb is slightly out of adjustment. Usually it's the low speed setting that's too far open.

It's also caused by operators who cannot hear the pop when it fires. As soon as it fires, you have to take off the choke, even if it means pulling three or more times.

Seems like not enough compression to fire. Carb is likely OK because it's pumping fuel. If you have a good spark, the rings are probably shot. Check the spark first.
I understand your point..but I had an old Homelite xl-12 recently on my bench that would pump gas into the muffler in 3 to 4 pulls...never tried to fire . It had great spark.. and a more than respectable 130 psi...which sounds low..but good for an old Homey !! Tore the carb apart..put in a kit...problem solved . Never looked into the exact problem within the carb though .,,since the kit did the trick .

I had this problem with my 066 . It would flood on the first pull .Gas would run out the muffler. I was told on here the metering lever was set to high. But I will say if you press the decompression valve in and loosen the gas cap after use it won't happen. I have redone the carb and replaced all lines and haven't had a problem since.

There are a few things that can be going on and I highly doubt at first diagnosis that it's lack of compression.
1) stiff metering diaphragm holding the needle off its seat
2) worn needle
3) dirty or worn/damaged seat
4) your so called mechanic opened the daylights outta the low speed jet
5) metering lever set too high

I would start by rebuilding the carb.

Latest posts

Back