Fuel filter questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had ordered a new fuel filter for my Poulan Counter Vibe 3700.
When it arrived, it was the correct part number, but was the wrong fitting size (too large for fuel line).
I do quite a bit of business with the folks I ordered it from, so I won't send it back.

But it brought up the questions:
1) Does the new fuel filter have to be the exact same size dimensions and composition as the original?
2) Some fuel filters are a fuzzy cloth material, some are a pliable perforated nylon screen and hollow inside, some are a solid perforated nylon composition that you cannot squeeze. Does it matter?
3) Can I install a fuel filter that is shorter in length, and a smaller diameter, and a different filter composition... or can this starve the engine for fuel/oil and cause a "lean" condition?
4) While I'm at it, where do you buy your Poulan Counter Vibe 3700 fuel filters from?

Thanks in advance for advice.

It does not have to be the same size but it should have some weight to it. The idea is that it sits on the floor of the tank, or in any position that is with the fuel due to gravity.

The material needs to filter particulates, so Any fuel filter will work. You should get something that is designed for fuel such as a marked package for fuel filtration. If there is no weight to it you will have problems. If you are creative you could add weight using washers or something

If I were you I would buy a husky 455 rancher fuel filter or even a 550xp filter. Both are large and will do a great job.
If it doesn’t fit a little bit of heat sometimes works to stretch out the vinyl tubing

I had ordered a new fuel filter for my Poulan Counter Vibe 3700.
When it arrived, it was the correct part number, but was the wrong fitting size (too large for fuel line).
I do quite a bit of business with the folks I ordered it from, so I won't send it back.

But it brought up the questions:
1) Does the new fuel filter have to be the exact same size dimensions and composition as the original?
2) Some fuel filters are a fuzzy cloth material, some are a pliable perforated nylon screen and hollow inside, some are a solid perforated nylon composition that you cannot squeeze. Does it matter?
3) Can I install a fuel filter that is shorter in length, and a smaller diameter, and a different filter composition... or can this starve the engine for fuel/oil and cause a "lean" condition?
4) While I'm at it, where do you buy your Poulan Counter Vibe 3700 fuel filters from?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Can't answer your questions Dan. You might get a good answer over in the Poulan thread in the stickies section.

It does not have to be the same size but it should have some weight to it. The idea is that it sits on the floor of the tank, or in any position that is with the fuel due to gravity.

The material needs to filter particulates, so Any fuel filter will work. You should get something that is designed for fuel such as a marked package for fuel filtration. If there is no weight to it you will have problems. If you are creative you could add weight using washers or something

If I were you I would buy a husky 455 rancher fuel filter or even a 550xp filter. Both are large and will do a great job.
If it doesn’t fit a little bit of heat sometimes works to stretch out the vinyl tubing

Yes Brent, it is a weighted filter (metal top and bottom).
I always use weighted filters in my chain saws. I should have mentioned that in my original post.
I'm going to try to look at those Husqvarna filters you mentioned.

Hey no worries I wasn’t lecturing :) just making it clear cause some people don’t know :)
Ive been told I come off as a lecturer sometimes but I assure you that is not my intent :)

Back