Fuel Line Issue McCulloch Power Mac 320

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilakuli

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I got my hands on a Power Mac 320 that someone wanted to throw away. It started but kept stalling when given throttle so I did all the neccessary work to get it working again (Carb Rebuild, new fuel line and fuel filter and so on).

It's running great now except for one thing: No matter how I install the fuel line and filter, the filter can't move from right to left inside the tank when the saw is tilted. The result is that the saw runs fine when bucking, turned bar side down or even upside down but it dies when turned bar side up because it doesn't get fuel anymore.

Here is the fuel line I used: https://sawzillaparts.com/proline-f...-310-320-330-340-chainsaw-93997-93720-219971/
Here is the fuel filter I used: https://www.kettensaegen-saegekette...-28-mt-270-x-mt-280-x-mt-300-x?number=SW12883 (Sorry it's all in German)

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to it for this saw? Or is this state considered normal?

Thanks for your help in advance. Alex.

I think you are experiencing the combination of a stiff fuel line and lightweight fuel filter. I don't have any experience with the Sawzilla fuel line but many aftermarket fuel lines are not as flexible and the originals. You might get by with a heavier fuel filter, or may be able to put a hex nut on the fuel line before pressing it over the nipple on the fuel filter.

Mark

Find a weighted fuel filter. They have a steel disc at the base. The extra weight will make it shift in the tank. Here are photos of two types.

View attachment 933336View attachment 933337
Thanks for your replies. I took another look and the fuel filter I have is just like the black one in your picture with a steel disk at the bottom.
I also tried adding 2 M8 hex nuts onto the fuel line but it didn’t change anything.
The fuel line still gets caught on the wall of the tank (see red circle in image).

Attachments

• 304EE05F-A294-4595-AE23-F744807621BB.jpeg
    304EE05F-A294-4595-AE23-F744807621BB.jpeg
    601.2 KB · Views: 18
OK thanks anayway for your help Mark. You don't have a picture of the fuel line inside the tank from one of your saws by any chance?

I looked at a few of the 300 Series saws I have on hand and the fuel line appears to be longer than yours. I may have a chance on Wednesday to do something with the lighting to try and get a photo.

Mark
Thanks I'd really appreciate that.

Back