Fuel mix 20:1 or 50:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do people insist on running a different mix, than what the book calls for? JUST RUN THE CORRECT MIX! Not even a discussion worth having. :dumb2:
Thing is, there was never a problem with lubrication on the 4mix. It was a carbon problem. A 4 mix’s have the potential for carbon buildup around and on valves. Yes follow the manual

I love it. A brief explanation of your opinion....No.... Nuff said. But, if I may ask, "No" to what? I mean that in good spirits. To each his own, my friend. No hard feelings here. I would just like to hear your opinions. Maybe I have some stuff I need to learn.

You’ve got your beliefs & what I state will not change that.

I’ve listened to the builders on this & other platforms & based on their tear-downs, I’ve seen what 50:1 looks like with saws & it’s not enough lubrication in the bottom end.

When you’ve paid for a new top end on a 880 you too will listen to what many have stated here.

It is humorous to me how people tout The Manufactures say, when prior to the EPA getting involved they all recommended more oil.

Reminds me of the old Regan quote,
“I’m from the government & I’m here to help.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve listened to the builders on this & other platforms & based on their tear-downs, I’ve seen what 50:1 looks like with saws & it’s not enough lubrication in the bottom end.

When you’ve paid for a new top end on a 880 you too will listen to what many have stated here.

It is humorous to me how people tout The Manufactures say, when prior to the EPA getting involved they all recommended more oil.

I’m listening. What would you recommend?

Don’t lose sight that this isn’t a 2cycle. It has valves. They are subject to carbon build up.
When they first came out, they used the orange bottle. The semi ( low smoke now nla) and silver bottles
came out AFTER the 4 mix intro. Stihl paid for a ton of valve cleanings that did no good. Then came the decarbonizer. Mix ratios on saws?... do what you want. On a 4 mix, you might be asking for trouble.
Guaranteed on a Bac pac.

Don’t lose sight that this isn’t a 2cycle. It has valves. They are subject to carbon build up.
When they first came out, they used the orange bottle. The semi ( low smoke now nla) and silver bottles
came out AFTER the 4 mix intro. Stihl paid for a ton of valve cleanings that did no good. Then came the decarbonizer. Mix ratios on saws?... do what you want. On a 4 mix, you might be asking for trouble.
Guaranteed on a Bac pac.

I won’t own one of them neither.

I won’t own one of them neither.

They do have a few guys that hate them. For sure. But the majority of the kinks are out, and tbh,
the HT131 is a nice tool. We sell tons. But, completely different market than you.

They do have a few guys that hate them. For sure. But the majority of the kinks are out, and tbh,
the HT131 is a nice tool. We sell tons. But, completely different market than you.

I’m a simpleton: we run ported saws & prefer to have 1 mix on the truck. That’s why there’s an FS250 for the clearing saw/weed eater & the PB-8010 for the blowers.

36:1 Red Armor & everything stays peachy.

I realize now the OP is fooling with a 4mix- I came in the convo about midway- tapatalk.

I’m sure a heavy mix would not do as well with those.

Thing is, there was never a problem with lubrication on the 4mix. It was a carbon problem. A 4 mix’s have the potential for carbon buildup around and on valves. Yes follow the manual
The problem in the 4 mix was/is sulfated ash deposits on the valves. This is caused by using traditional air cooled oils. The root of this was a four stroke engine burning oil.
Stihls bandaid fix was bring Ultra oil to the market and encouraging its use in the 4mix engines. Ultra is an ashless oil formulated for marine engines which also have problems with sulfated ash due to their steady throttle operation. It's also why Ultra sucks in chains saws and other O P E.

The problem in the 4 mix was/is sulfated ash deposits on the valves. This is caused by using traditional air cooled oilsa. The root of this was a four stroke engin burning oil.
Stihls bandaid fix was bring Ultra oil to the market and encouraging its use in the 4mix engines. Ultra is an ashless oil formulated for marine engines which also have problems with sulfated ash due to their steady throttle operation. It's also why Ultra sucks in chains saws and other O P E.
OK. Perhaps I should have said “Deposits”. As I said, it’s not a problem with hand held tools so much.
Bac Pac, as you said with their steady throttle operation is where it shows. There’s no debate, after a valve upgrade from Germany, the semi and full syn’s help. A 4 mix is a good engine.

OK. Perhaps I should have said “Deposits”. As I said, it’s not a problem with hand held tools so much.
Bac Pac, as you said with their steady throttle operation is where it shows. There’s no debate, after a valve upgrade from Germany, the semi and full syn’s help. A 4 mix is a good engine.
Semi or full synthetic really wont help at all as it pertains to ash deposit issues.
Burning oil in a four stroke motor is just plain stupid and frankly only a german engineer could dream up some tube goldberg solution like that.
FWIW I was in my local Stihl dealer today and asked about the four mix engines. He said all the four mix engines are problematic in this regard and sometimes even when ran on Ultra.

One other point four stroke motors actually have much higher exhaust temps typically because there is much less unburnt gasoline and oil going out the exhaust. However the piston temps are actually lower by virtue of the fact the only have to deal with combustion half as many strokes.

Semi or full synthetic really wont help at all as it pertains to ash deposit issues.
Burning oil in a four stroke motor is just plain stupid and frankly only a german engineer could dream up some tube goldberg solution like that.
FWIW I was in my local Stihl dealer today and asked about the four mix engines. He said all the four mix engines are problematic in this regard and sometimes even when ran on Ultra.
Well. I’ll have to disagree with your dealer. Mainly because, I’ve been working at a large Stihl dealer for 45 plus years.
Full and semi synthetic oils mixed at the recommended ratio have solved the majority of valve life problems.
I don’t mean to sound smug, but working mainly on the saws and handheld equipment, I have learned a few things.
The series has had their share of flat out defects since. Lubrication‘s not one of them.

And I’ve had the pleasure of meeting 2 engineers from Stihl. One was on the design team for the MS201T.
And I’ll tell you one thing, if you ever spoke to one, your opinion would change.
Nice guy too. Spoke for hrs about Mtronics and Fuel Injection.
I even took notes Lol. Enough chest beating.
BTW. Someone started another mix ratio thread.

In my fifty plus years of experience I would say this logic is not far off. I have built many hundreds maybe thousands of two stroke engines for pleasure and racing professionally which means I do not know every thing but have a clue. I have stated with every ratio and brand there is pros and cons. Synthetic has a tendency to not burn and petroleum products have a tendency to carbon up more but can burn cleaner. So what is best for dam sure if a OP wants to have reliable use of their equipment they need to have adequate lubrication not less. Thanks

In my fifty plus years of experience I would say this logic is not far off. I have built many hundreds maybe thousands of two stroke engines for pleasure and racing professionally which means I do not know every thing but have a clue. I have stated with every ratio and brand there is pros and cons. Synthetic has a tendency to not burn and petroleum products have a tendency to carbon up more but can burn cleaner. So what is best for dam sure if a OP wants to have reliable use of their equipment they need to have adequate lubrication not less. Thanks
The OP has a 4 cycle that uses a 50:1 fuel mix. Not a true 2 cycle.

Back