Fuels: pump gas vs alkylate vs aviation.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it is worth, as far as long storage:

I just sold my 1971 Impala and last time I refueled it was 2005, it had a mix of LL Aviation fuel and 110 octane auto racing fuel, mostly the 110 as both were available at a local gasoline station fuel pump isle, (sadly gasoline station was torn down for high way construciton) and I wanted the lead.
I would start the car several times a year, every year since 2005, I never had any problems starting running or driving the car (around the block, though I drove it several miles in 2015 to wash it) so if you want long term gasoline , either of the above are superior.

According to everything I've researched, Alkylate fuel has 10 chemicals in it.

Pump gas has 100 chemicals in it... most of which are not needed and only act to harm rubber and metal components, as well as harm the user. Things such as Benzene.

If a person could find affordable alkylate fuel, that would be the way to go. Some people confuse jet fuel with avgas. From what I understand, avgas is made of a composition more suited to engines that use spark plugs, and contains mostly alkylate. You just have to make sure you get unleaded avgas, and avoid leaded avgas.

Aspen and Steve's Small Engine Saloon have some excellent youtube video's on this alkylate fuel topic.

Gasoline is a chemical soup and refining is all about combining high quality streams with low quality so the resulting soup meets a minimum spec.
Pump gas hasn't had appreciable amounts of benzene in it for at least a decade because the EPA tightly regulates it. Same story with the fractions that are hard on rubber parts.

Latest posts

Back